We need more people like this

A recent letter to the Collegian.

It’s good to see that someone else is willing to pony up the same support to the team and DeChellis that seems to be so lacking around here.

[quote=“Captain Cranky, post:1, topic:717”]A recent letter to the Collegian.

It’s good to see that someone else is willing to pony up the same support to the team and DeChellis that seems to be so lacking around here.[/quote]

Fellas, the lifeboat is open -

Right now its got Captain Delusional and 18 year old maddy. Space is available, but going fast ;D

A [url=http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/01/22/dechellis_deserves_support_for.aspx]recent letter to the Collegian[/url].

It’s good to see that someone else is willing to pony up the same support to the team and DeChellis that seems to be so lacking around here.

Right now its got Captain Delusional and 18 year old maddy. Space is available, but going fast ;D

Getting on the lifeboat isn’t my style. I’d rather be here the whole time so I can feel like I was part of something when the ship comes back up. When that time comes I’ll help you out of the water :wink:

[quote="Captain Cranky, post:1, topic:717"]A [url=http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/01/22/dechellis_deserves_support_for.aspx]recent letter to the Collegian[/url].

It’s good to see that someone else is willing to pony up the same support to the team and DeChellis that seems to be so lacking around here.[/quote]

Getting on the lifeboat isn’t my style. I’d rather be here the whole time so I can feel like I was part of something when the ship comes back up. When that time comes I’ll help you out of the water :wink:

I envy the young :slight_smile:

[quote="Captain Cranky, post:1, topic:717"]A [url=http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/01/22/dechellis_deserves_support_for.aspx]recent letter to the Collegian[/url].

What you should really envy is his continued belief in the team and his willingness to forgive your lack of faith and lack of support when the wins start coming again.

What you should really envy is his continued belief in the team and his willingness to forgive your lack of faith and lack of support when the wins start coming again.

::slight_smile:

::slight_smile:

Cranky and his Apostles.

Cranky, just because some fans want a new coach and such doesn’t mean they don’t support the team.

Agreed. You may not care about the results, but some of us would like to at least see some effort from the squad.

Cranky, just because some fans want a new coach and such doesn't mean they don't support the team.

Agreed. You may not care about the results, but some of us would like to at least see some effort from the squad.

I guess this is where I dont agree. Not 5 years ago a Penn State team would have been blown out in most Big Ten games. This team has had a chance to win every Big Ten game they’ve played in this year. They haven’t played well enough to actually win, but they are giving themselves a chance to win if they do play well enough. That doesn’t happen by chance, that happens because of effort and hard work. You can bust your ass off for 40mins and still not hit jumpers. I wouldn’t question the effort, I’d just look to improve the execution.

[quote=“Captain Cranky, post:1, topic:717”]A recent letter to the Collegian.

He just needs more time, right? By 2020, he should be OK, right?

[quote="noobd, post:8, topic:717"]Cranky, just because some fans want a new coach and such doesn't mean they don't support the team.[/quote]

I guess this is where I dont agree. Not 5 years ago a Penn State team would have been blown out in most Big Ten games. This team has had a chance to win every Big Ten game they’ve played in this year. They haven’t played well enough to actually win, but they are giving themselves a chance to win if they do play well enough. That doesn’t happen by chance, that happens because of effort and hard work. You can bust your ass off for 40mins and still not hit jumpers. I wouldn’t question the effort, I’d just look to improve the execution.

When it’s been suggested that PSU play some better OOC games as away games, we’re told it’s the $$$$, as the reason they don’t do it. In short, this is a business, and you have to make the best decisions considering academic standards and business results. Really no room for sentimentality. In keeping with academic standards, is this the best way to increase revenues for the school?

[quote="noobd, post:8, topic:717"]Cranky, just because some fans want a new coach and such doesn't mean they don't support the team.[/quote]

My advice is to rewatch the Indiana game. Watch how the team ran the floor, particularly Jones, Brooks, and to some extent Jackson. they were lolly-gagging up and down the court. They were completely “out-efforted” by Indiana. That’s my biggest problem. At some point, its also not about execution, its about talent. If you don’t have the talent to compete, then execution is irrelevant. And at what point do we quit blaming “missed shots” and just accept that we have a team of mediocre to poor shooters.

Like I’ve said, if I was a PSU fan purely because of results and wins… well quite frankly that wouldn’t make much sense because the winning hasn’t been there recently besides last year. I’m assuming the same goes for a lot of you fellow fans too.

The team is made up of players and coaches. A lack of support for any of the above is a lack of support for the “team”. The same goes for criticism of any of the players. How dare people come on an internet forum and call out players by name. That is reprehensible! It is an embarrassment and people should be ashamed of themselves for doing it!

You are ignorant if you believe that choosing to support 9 players and 2 coaches, while criticizing 5 players and 2 other coaches is still a support of the “team”. Support them all. Anything else is selfishness.

I think this quote best sums up the spirit of this argument and also points out the MAJOR difference between what appears to be two different factions. (One growing and one shrinking I might add) But this is perfect ngameday so kudos. So then we can all sift through the semantics and ask ourselves the question that lies at the bottom of this story: Are you we happy with a program that “almost” wins or do you we want a program that “wins?” This is the very essence of the issue in my book.

[quote="noobd, post:8, topic:717"]Cranky, just because some fans want a new coach and such doesn't mean they don't support the team.[/quote] The team is made up of players and coaches. A lack of support for any of the above is a lack of support for the "team". The same goes for criticism of any of the players. How dare people come on an internet forum and call out players by name. That is reprehensible! It is an embarrassment and people should be ashamed of themselves for doing it!

You are ignorant if you believe that choosing to support 9 players and 2 coaches, while criticizing 5 players and 2 other coaches is still a support of the “team”. Support them all. Anything else is selfishness.

Guess I’m ignorant then! I’ve never heard of a fan base or group of fans that don’t occasionally criticize their coach’s decisions, their players ability, etc. I’m not buying into this program of blind fandom where I cannot question a member of the team or coach of the team I root for. Personal attacks and rooting for a player to get hurt would be a different matter.

If you don’t like the discussions going on here or can’t handle the “negativity” then I’m not sure what to tell you. The nature of PSUhoops is getting darker right now, and to pretend that everything is fine is in fact ignorant.

[quote="noobd, post:8, topic:717"]Cranky, just because some fans want a new coach and such doesn't mean they don't support the team.[/quote] The team is made up of players and coaches. A lack of support for any of the above is a lack of support for the "team". The same goes for criticism of any of the players. How dare people come on an internet forum and call out players by name. That is reprehensible! It is an embarrassment and people should be ashamed of themselves for doing it!

Guess I’m ignorant then! I’ve never heard of a fan base or group of fans that don’t occasionally criticize their coach’s decisions, their players ability, etc. I’m not buying into this program of blind fandom where I cannot question a member of the team or coach of the team I root for. Personal attacks and rooting for a player to get hurt would be a different matter.

If you don’t like the discussions going on here or can’t handle the “negativity” then I’m not sure what to tell you. The nature of PSUhoops is getting darker right now, and to pretend that everything is fine is in fact ignorant.

Criticizing a player on an internet forum is a personal attack. Sorry if you can’t see that. There is nothing blind about my support of this team. I don’t get into the minutiae that most others do on here about what plays to run, and who to recruit, and what starting lineup to have. Those aren’t my decisions to make and I don’t believe that expressing those opinions have any effect on the team’s decisions or outcomes. I do believe that they are detrimental to the team, their morale, and their psyche. I do believe that members of the team might actually visit sites like this one and seeing their names splashed across negative message after negative message hurts the team.

People are not only criticizing DeChellis, they are writing that he should be fired, after the best season in PSU ever. That is unbelievably shortsighted to me and smacks of bandwagonism. Cheer for the coach and team when times are good and slam him and the team when times are bad.

You misunderstand me if you believe I think everything is fine with PSU hoops right now. Losing six games in a row is a never good. But I have seen worse losing streaks before. I have seen teams that haven’t won as many games before. What separates me from you, however, is I don’t come on internet forums calling for the coach to be fired, or some players to be benched, or questioning their heart or work ethic. I support the team and the program, regardless how many games on a row they have lost. I will still support them even if they are 0-17 in the Big Ten preparing to play their final game. If you think that makes me ignorant, then label me. I think that makes me a supporter of Penn State Basketball and that makes me Penn State proud. :slight_smile:

You still haven’t grasped the fact one can support the team without agreeing with everything the team/program does.

If your child or loved one was having a rough stretch in life, not doing all the things necessary to be successful or reach their potential, would you “support” them by idly watching them continue to do what they’re doing, or would you want change, want things to be better, even if there was nothing directly you could do to help?

Cranky, I haven’t criticized any individual player on their effort. Find a post where I did and prove me wrong. I just have a problem with the current state of PSU basketball as well as how the future is looking. I can accept losses if the team looks like they are improving and meshing together, however the opposite seems to be happening. That points towards coaching, correct me if I’m wrong.

I guess I, along with many others, disagree with your perspective on support. Many feel that calling for a new coach is indeed supporting the program (since support a new coach is kind of like supporting progress, a change, whatever you want to call it), where you think calling for a new coach is not supporting the team. Calling for a new coach is not supporting the coach, not “not supporting the program”, IMO. Hopefully that made sense.

Its not like we haven’t supported ED and PSU over this 7 year stretch. Its not like we didn’t give ED a chance, ya know?

And to think that the team isn’t playing well or regressing because of a message board is quite radical.