WAY OT - Temple Football

I think it is amazing that Temple 9-2. Good for them.

Agree. I think they got a “bum deal” from the Big East. In the long run they may be better off.

Have a gut feeling this “might” be our next head coach :o

I didn’t know Golden had a teenage son ;D

He certianly is doing a good job, no doubt. Peronally, I think the nextr head coach we hire should have the following qualities:

1. Connections to the U
  2. Above the age of 50
  3. A thick skin

I think it’s going to be next to impossible to follow JoePa. We’d be best off finding someone who will be around for about 5 or 6 years, and provide a transitional figure to the next coach. I think expecting the next coach to be around for 20 years or something to be a long shot. The job will be tough enough… I think having a coach to “keep the seat warm” for a couple of years and provide a transition to the next guy would be the best option.

Then again, who knows. The next guy might not have even been born yet :wink:

Al Golden and his staff has done a tremendous job. Many on the staff have Penn State ties. PSU could do a lot worse than Golden if he is to succeed Paterno, but I still REALLY hope Tom Bradley gets the job.

I always thought, if Rutgers, Cincinnatie, and UC0nn could do it, Temple could as well. I didn’t think Al was they guy at first. I thought, anohter assistant, anohter failure. But he’s really done a heck of a job.

If anyone other than Bradley got the job, I would be absolutely shocked (and, quite frankly, very disappointed).

[quote="psugrad83, post:5, topic:349"]I still REALLY hope Tom Bradley gets the job.[/quote]

If anyone other than Bradley got the job, I would be absolutely shocked (and, quite frankly, very disappointed).

It will be interesting. As much as I like Tom Bradley, is the right transition a first time head coach in his mid fifties? Tough call.

[quote="psugrad83, post:5, topic:349"]I still REALLY hope Tom Bradley gets the job.[/quote]

LJ has a good shot I think if he sticks around.

Back to the original topic – it is good to see Temple turn it around some in football. I’ve been rooting for them all year. It probably sucked to get booted from the Big East, but the MAC has worked out pretty well for them.

Being in the MAC allows them to be competitive with the type of players they can recruit. Of course with success, better players will give them a second look. I don’t think they would be 9-2 in the Big East but still a fantastic job by Golden and staff.

Why do we need a transitional coach? Why can’t the next guy be around for 20 plus years? I don’t think you hire a guy with the expectation that he is gone in six years. You hire the guy you feel can keep us winning for decades.

Bradley has all of the qualifications that we should be looking for. Good recruiter, players love him, puts a top notch defense on the field every year, knows and understands the program, etc. Plus, I think it will be a nice reward for his loyalty over all these years when he could have left for a HC job (and before that a DC job).

Very nice season by Temple. I hope they keep it rolling.

Also, major kudos to Villanova - the other team that beat the Owls.
They had a great season in a tough conference and will be playing for the Div I football championship that is decided on the field.

Temple @ Ohio U. on live on ESPNU @ 11 AM today. GO OWLS!

I love following Temple football for some reason, and I can’t wait to watch the game today. Good for Golden and the program. Hopefully he can sustain success there for a few years.

Temple’s defense couldn’t keep up today. Their offense didn’t seem like it had the firepower to score with Ohio either.

Overall a great season so far for Temple though minus the 'Nova loss. Temple has 2 guys on the team from my HS, so I’ve been rooting for them.

Temple makes its first bowl appearance in 30 years. They will be playing either Army or UCLA in the EagleBank
Bowl in Washington, DC on 12/29 @ 4:30pm according to the link below. Got to meet Al Golden and congratulate him @ the Liacouras Center yesterday.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl_games_bowl_schedule.html

Could Bradley really have left for a lot of other HC jobs? I mean, there has been turnover in the Big Ten and I’ve never heard even a mention of his name as a target. I heard him associated with Temple’s coaching search, and not really anything else

[quote="frats, post:11, topic:349"]Bradley has all of the qualifications that we should be looking for. Good recruiter, players love him, puts a top notch defense on the field every year, knows and understands the program, etc. Plus, I think it will be a nice reward for his loyalty over all these years when he could have left for a HC job (and before that a DC job).[/quote]

Could Bradley really have left for a lot of other HC jobs? I mean, there has been turnover in the Big Ten and I’ve never heard even a mention of his name as a target. I heard him associated with Temple’s coaching search, and not really anything else

He turned down Michigan State years ago.

[quote="frats, post:11, topic:349"]Bradley has all of the qualifications that we should be looking for. Good recruiter, players love him, puts a top notch defense on the field every year, knows and understands the program, etc. Plus, I think it will be a nice reward for his loyalty over all these years when he could have left for a HC job (and before that a DC job).[/quote]

He turned down Michigan State years ago.

I thought that was Ganter.

I guess Steve Joachim had a big year! :slight_smile: