Way OT - Dock Ellis

Just stumbled upon this. The late Dock Ellis was interviewed about his famous 1970 no hitter, which he threw while on acid. An animator put a nice little video together on it.

I saw this game – I was visiting my grandmother in Johnstown and it was televised there. (Might have been a national game for all I know, but I remember watching it in J’town.)

No Mas Presents: Dock Ellis & The LSD No-No by James Blagden

That’s a pretty cool video. I had heard about this, but the video fills in the blanks to the story.

Good video. Those were the days…

I got to meet Dock last year at http://www.doubledayfarm.com. He was a really nice guy. He spent the last 20 years or so as a drug counselor at a prison. It’s a shame he’ll always be remembered for LSD.

If you live in the Harrisburg or State College areas and like baseball you should consider playing sometime at Doubleday Farm. It’s a lot of fun and the former major leaguers will sign anything and pose for photos with you as part of the entry fee. You don’t have to be any good. You’ll see 12 year olds and 80 year olds out there. When I go I get them to take a photo with me and have them print it out on site and then get the player to sign it. I’ve got pictures with Dock, Tommy John, Mickey Morandini, Mitch Williams, and a few others.

ahhhhh yes, and somehow steroids, not bennies, greenies etc. is the only scarlet letter ped.

If only more pitchers took LSD, just imagine all of the no hitters!