Washington is doing it.........in 3 years

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/526490.html?nav=815

IMO, this thread belongs here.

http://pennstatehoops.com/talk/index.php?board=2.0

Big improvement. But, the team is far from a done deal. Long way to go in the league. But, I am happy for Washington. Need scorers next year.

Please don’t try to compare the programs. They’ve been to the dance over 20 times (in the last 30 or so), including a final four and multiple sweet sixteens. Just a few years ago they had a #1 seed in March. Plus, they actually had support from the administration. I can’t remember the numbers but I think they were in the top 3 in spending for B10 teams.

Washington had her own challenges but it’s a far different situation than what Ed walked into. That’s not to take anything away from Coquese, but it’s different.

[quote=“LPcreation, post:4, topic:775”]Please don’t try to compare the programs. They’ve been to the dance over 20 times (in the last 30 or so), including a final four and multiple sweet sixteens. Just a few years ago they had a #1 seed in March. Plus, they actually had support from the administration. I can’t remember the numbers but I think they were in the top 3 in spending for B10 teams.

Washington had her own challenges but it’s a far different situation than what Ed walked into. That’s not to take anything away from Coquese, but it’s different.[/quote]

+1

[quote=“LPcreation, post:4, topic:775”]Please don’t try to compare the programs. They’ve been to the dance over 20 times (in the last 30 or so), including a final four and multiple sweet sixteens. Just a few years ago they had a #1 seed in March. Plus, they actually had support from the administration. I can’t remember the numbers but I think they were in the top 3 in spending for B10 teams.

Washington had her own challenges but it’s a far different situation than what Ed walked into. That’s not to take anything away from Coquese, but it’s different.[/quote]

True…every situation is different.

Help me out. How could the administration help the men’s program more?

I don’t know. I’m not one who claims it’s the admin’s fault. I just know that when Ed took over, he was near the bottom of the B10 for financial support, while Rene and the women’s program was near the top.

I know it’s better now, but I’m not sure it’s on par with the rest of the league.

By caring and not treating it as a “minor” sport like field hockey.

BJC offices have been “redone.” They are really quite nice now! The BJC itself is one of the newest and largest hoop arenas in the league. It’s not “basketball” friendly because of lack of fans.
We have 4 full-time 12 month a year basketball coaches! NYC, Philly, Jersey,Baltimore, DC, the rest of Maryland, Pittsburgh and Cleveland are NOT far. All these cities have airports and roads for autos. All coaches have cell phones and computer access (just guessing.)
P.S. Oh yeah, I forgot Albany is close also!
Remember the Little Engine that Could! IT CAN BE DONE IT CAN BE DONE IT CAN BE DONE

Where oh where are we going to find a Type A personality willing to be paid ONLY about a MILLION a year (Multi year deal) to coach 18-22 year old kids with a mostly apologist fan base. Sounds hopeless, huh.

[quote=“tundra, post:9, topic:775”]BJC offices have been “redone.” They are really quite nice now! The BJC itself is one of the newest and largest hoop arenas in the league. It’s not “basketball” friendly because of lack of fans.
We have 4 full-time 12 month a year basketball coaches! NYC, Philly, Jersey,Baltimore, DC, the rest of Maryland, Pittsburgh and Cleveland are NOT far. All these cities have airports and roads for autos. All coaches have cell phones and computer access (just guessing.)
Remember the Little Engine that Could! IT CAN BE DONE IT CAN BE DONE IT CAN BE DONE

Where oh where are we going to find a Type A personality willing to be paid ONLY about a MILLION a year (Multi year deal) to coach 18-22 year old kids with a mostly apologist fan base. Sounds hopeless, huh. [/quote]

Yeah…you’re right!!! Who would want to deal with all those disadvantages.

[quote=“tundra, post:9, topic:775”]BJC offices have been “redone.” They are really quite nice now! The BJC itself is one of the newest and largest hoop arenas in the league. It’s not “basketball” friendly because of lack of fans.

Where oh where are we going to find a Type A personality willing to be paid ONLY about a MILLION a year (Multi year deal) to coach 18-22 year old kids with a mostly apologist fan base. Sounds hopeless, huh. [/quote]

Think Curley and crew could ever convince coach Knight to come to PSU? Let him take over, lay the foundation for a few years and then handpick his successor.

Does Knight have any more children he wants to “set up” in a Million Dollar a year job?

[quote="tundra, post:9, topic:775"]BJC offices have been "redone." They are really quite nice now! The BJC itself is one of the newest and largest hoop arenas in the league. It's not "basketball" friendly because of lack of fans. We have 4 full-time 12 month a year basketball coaches! NYC, Philly, Jersey,Baltimore, DC, the rest of Maryland, Pittsburgh and Cleveland are NOT far. All these cities have airports and roads for autos. All coaches have cell phones and computer access (just guessing.) P.S. Oh yeah, I forgot Albany is close also! Remember the Little Engine that Could! IT CAN BE DONE IT CAN BE DONE IT CAN BE DONE

Where oh where are we going to find a Type A personality willing to be paid ONLY about a MILLION a year (Multi year deal) to coach 18-22 year old kids with a mostly apologist fan base. Sounds hopeless, huh.[/quote]
I think Curley would consider that option if things ever got bad enough. However, I don’t think his Penn State Daddy (Joepa) would allow such a move.

Think Curley and crew could ever convince coach Knight to come to PSU? Let him take over, lay the foundation for a few years and then handpick his successor.

[quote="tundra, post:9, topic:775"]BJC offices have been "redone." They are really quite nice now! The BJC itself is one of the newest and largest hoop arenas in the league. It's not "basketball" friendly because of lack of fans. We have 4 full-time 12 month a year basketball coaches! NYC, Philly, Jersey,Baltimore, DC, the rest of Maryland, Pittsburgh and Cleveland are NOT far. All these cities have airports and roads for autos. All coaches have cell phones and computer access (just guessing.) P.S. Oh yeah, I forgot Albany is close also! Remember the Little Engine that Could! IT CAN BE DONE IT CAN BE DONE IT CAN BE DONE

Where oh where are we going to find a Type A personality willing to be paid ONLY about a MILLION a year (Multi year deal) to coach 18-22 year old kids with a mostly apologist fan base. Sounds hopeless, huh.[/quote]
I think Curley would consider that option if things ever got bad enough. However, I don’t think his Penn State Daddy (Joepa) would allow such a move.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Joe Pa may not allow TC to hire somebody that may overshadow him. Just a thought.

It is amazing what a low opinion people have a JoeP after all these years.

[quote="joema, post:14, topic:775"]I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Joe Pa may not allow TC to hire somebody that may overshadow him. Just a thought.[/quote]

I agree. I guess you have to have an ego to succeed like he has. But are people doubting that he wants whats best for PSU? Gees, he’s not Rene Portland folks.

[quote="joema, post:14, topic:775"]I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Joe Pa may not allow TC to hire somebody that may overshadow him. Just a thought.[/quote]

As far as his philanthropy and dedication to graduating kids - He’s a saint.

I think of him a bit differently as an actual football coach though, especially now that he’s hung around for so long.

No, he was just Rene’s close friend and one of her biggest backers.

Which says what?

I’m sorry, call me naive but I just don’t believe that Joe would stop us from doing anything in an effort to improve the hoops team.

[quote="tundra, post:18, topic:775"]No, he was just Rene's close friend and one of her biggest backers.[/quote]

Which says what?

I’m sorry, call me naive but I just don’t believe that Joe would stop us from doing anything in an effort to improve the hoops team.

Says nothing! Just making a point. Not any “shot” at Joe. Joe is not anti PSU hoops!