VT on next year's schedule

Not sure if this was known already but I found a quote that VT is looking to continue the series with us.

Bill,

Our non-conference basketball schedule was terrible this year. What are we going to do to make it better next year? It’s going to keep us out of the big dance. Steve, Fairfax, Va.

Steve,

I posed that question to Coach Greenberg on Monday night’s Tech Talk Live! “We are going to re-visit how we pick some non-conference teams and do a bit more research on their rosters, who they’ve got coming back and who they’ve lost,” Greenberg said. “We want to play in made-for-TV games and we will play at least one of those next year. We are in a tournament in California, which is three games with excellent teams. We are going to play a Big Ten team at home in the ACC–Big Ten Challenge and we are going to continue our series with Penn State.”

Greenberg’s concern is some of the non-conference ‘buy game’ opponents this year had awful records. UNC Greensboro (7-22), UMBC (4-25), VMI (6-18), Longwood (8-18), Charleston Southern (9-16) and North Carolina Central (3-22) are examples. The look of the ‘buy’ games will likely be different in 2010-2011.

Hokie Sports

Well there is atleast one road game against a BCS team. Virginia Tech returns most of there starters as well.

I think we’re in a home and home with VT so we have to play them next year. I know that we will be playing them in VT regardless of the 76 Classic field.

Yeah I couldn’t remember if this was the return game or not. It feels like we’ve played these guys forever.

Not sure how much the 76 Classic will care, but hopefully they’ll put us on separate sides of the bracket to lessen the chances of meeting them twice in a couple of weeks.

VA Tech has just 2 seniors on the roster, and one is a walk-on. Between the two they average a couple points per game and very few minutes. VA Tech with Delaney and Allen will be a team to be reckoned with next year.

I could think of many worse teams that we could play twice instead. It’ll be weird to play a non-BT team twice, but honestly, is there really a downside? They’re good, so it’ll be good prep for BT, and they’ll have the computer juice, too.

We could play them in the BigTen/ACC challenge, too. And then it would be REALLY weird when we play them for a fourth time in the NCAA tournament! ;D

Delaney going pro? What are the chances?

I thought he was great. Really could score. Did he end up leading the ACC in scoring?

Yes, 20.9

[quote="frats, post:5, topic:935"]Not sure how much the 76 Classic will care, but hopefully they'll put us on separate sides of the bracket to lessen the chances of meeting them twice in a couple of weeks.[/quote]

I could think of many worse teams that we could play twice instead. It’ll be weird to play a non-BT team twice, but honestly, is there really a downside? They’re good, so it’ll be good prep for BT, and they’ll have the computer juice, too.

Downside is we play pretty piss poor in these tourneys. It’s like almost chalking up an automatic L for the Lions.

I don’t think we’ve had a good showing in one of those midseason tournaments since we won the ECAC in NY a decade ago. This year we lost the first 2 games, in 07-08 we lost all 3, in 04-05 we lost 2/3.

Still, the opportunity to play an Oklahoma State, UNLV or Depaul is pretty good considering we’ll most likely get another crappy ACC opponent in the conference challenge.

Considering out track record in our own conference, do you really think we’ve earned the right to play Duke?