vs Michigan State 2019 IGT (CBS)

Right! If you find more let me know but these seem to be the games where we got 10000+. Of course MSU brings a big fan base, as well as Indiana. Too bad they are on weekdays. An observation that we need to take to the big ten in general for future seasons is that we can’t and shouldn’t stand for 1 Saturday game. I think Rutgers is the only Saturday home game. We’ve got Illinois and MSU on Sunday’s and then I think the rest are all during the week. I find that surprising that out of 10 home games we can’t get at least 2 Saturdays? I hope everyone else is getting the short end of the stick at least.

2/17/2015 vs. Nebraska: 11702
1/10/2016 vs. Michigan State: 10855
1/27/2018 vs. Rutgers : 13677
2/03/2018 vs. Iowa: 10394
2/15/2018 vs. Ohio State 10951
2/21/2018 vs. Michigan 13586
1/13/2019 vs. Michigan State 10196

I wonder if our record had anything to do with 4 successive games of >10k fans last year…

Quite true. When PSU gets doubled in man or match up zone, the ball often has a very hard time finding someone else. When PSU doubles (esp. against the better teams) the ball often finds an open player quickly.

Yes. If you win they will come.

Of course the record impacts it. At least on games that people have free time. We can’t really look at a weekday game and hope to get 10000+ there every time. It’s hard to find those games getting 10000+. But if we are playing well then yes the Saturday/Sunday games should have 10000+ people.

And the counterpoint to the weeknight game attendance suckage circles back to the team being an afterthought. If we were even half good, I’d argue we’d average over 11,000 on a week night. State College townies are jaded, and they would show up on weeknights if we were actually given serious care by the department.

I used to attend the games all throughout my High School years at SCAHS. '11-'12 and '12-'13 seasons were the roughest seasons to start becoming a fan. That’s why I am a very positive person. Almost everyone on this board has been a serious fan long enough to see us in the tournament, not me. I’ve gotten a crappy CBI tournament and an NIT tournament win and I’ll still go to every game and find something positive there. But still improvement is almost certainly needed. Without getting Bolton or Dread or someone being comfortable as a PG this year I fear we are going to beat Rutgers or Illinois and prove Cletus right. I won’t believe that until I see it.

Tickets sold does NOT translate to bodies in seats. I GET that’s how they report attendance, but it’s not reality

That depends on your point of view. If one of your key measurements is the bottom line, then tickets sold is more important to you than fannies in the seat. Both of them are very much real and important measures.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:209, topic:5763, full:true”]

That depends on your point of view. If one of your key measurements is the bottom line, then tickets sold is more important to you than fannies in the seat. Both of them are very much real and important measures.
[/quote

IMO, it is certainly misleading to the general public & casual fans to equate tickets sold to attendance. At the events, the announcement is usually “today’s/tonight’s attendance is”. They DO NOT say “the number of tickets sold for today’s/tonight’s event is”. So, if you are reporting tickets sold then simply make that explicit in your announcement. I think the generally accepted definition of “attendance” implies that a person or persons actually went to an event not that they bought a ticket or received an invite. The only reason this continues to be an issue is because of the obvious disparity between announced attendance & bodies in seats and most fans thinking “who do they think they are fooling?”

Back when PSU entered the big ten, rec hall was standing room only for most games weeknights included. And I think rec hall sat closer to 7000+ back then. And the population of state college general area has increased in the last 25 years plus the road system to state college with the new highways, bypasses, and higher speed limit makes it much faster to get to state college. So taking that into consideration, PSU can get close to 10,000 for weeknights and sell out weekends with a competitive team.

Where it becomes borderline (not going to go with dishonest) is when the team gets talked about as “drawing big crowds” and they cite “attendance”. Words mean things… or used to.

I agree with you that it’s probably confusing to the public. But it’s not like this is something that PSU is doing on their own to fool the public. It’s the standard practice in the industry. I’m not aware of anyone who uses turnstile count (oops - see correction below) as their attendance figure (which, by the way, when attendance is announced, it’s usually officially called “paid attendance” as a subtle way to distinguish it from the “turnstile count” - or more recently, “scanned tickets”, since there aren’t turnstiles any more). .

The NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, MLS, etc. all use either tickets sold or tickets distributed - and they have for decades. This is a discussion that has been going on forever among ALL fan bases. It’s not something unique to Penn State.

Correction: While doing some additional research on the subject, specifically this Wall Street Journal article on college football attendance, I did become aware of ONE school that does actually use turnstile count - Navy.

At one time, if you looked in the print version of the CDT a day or two after a game, buried in the Police Reports would be a mention the standard police presence at the game, as well as a head count for safety compliance. According to someone that used to work at the BJC, this number was more accurate than announced attendance as it was the sum of tickets scanned + media + event staff + entertainment (cheerleaders, band, etc.). I don’t know if this is still published or not.

Let’s just ask Jeff Nelson about actual attendance. Likely reply:

“I cannot confirm that a game actually took place or who may or many not have been in attendance. I have no further comment at this time.”

I would have just said that “I” was in attendance.