VIP meet the Pirates

I heard on ESPN Radio State College 1450 about and VIP thing with the Pirates before the Saturday VT game at the BJC. I checked www.gopsusports.com but couldn’t find anything. I also checked the www.statecollegespikes.com. Does anyone have any information. Thanks

It isn’t much but I know it has to do with radio.

"“Ross will be signing autographs at a VIP event in the afternoon (100 people will win entrance from through the radio!) and then he will move up to the concourse at BJC right before the game so that everyone else can meet him and get autographs. Hope to see you there!”"

[quote=“NGameday, post:2, topic:445”]It isn’t much but I know it has to do with radio.

"“Ross will be signing autographs at a VIP event in the afternoon (100 people will win entrance from through the radio!) and then he will move up to the concourse at BJC right before the game so that everyone else can meet him and get autographs. Hope to see you there!”"
[/quote]

Ross Ohlendorf. Wow, the Pirates are really sending out the big guns for this one.

Ross Ohlendorf is a big gun in the Pirates organization.

[quote="NGameday, post:2, topic:445"]It isn't much but I know it has to do with radio. [i] ""Ross will be signing autographs at a VIP event in the afternoon (100 people will win entrance from through the radio!) and then he will move up to the concourse at BJC right before the game so that everyone else can meet him and get autographs. Hope to see you there!""[/i][/quote]

Ross Ohlendorf. Wow, the Pirates are really sending out the big guns for this one.

He may not be a big name, but he may become one. Regardless, he seems like a really good guy, someone that you might want to meet.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ibuP6g9urMIKkWg7zI7t0zq1or6wD9C7RFF01

Yeah, I forgot they were the Pirates, and not a real baseball team. At $500,000 he’s the team’s most highly paid player!

Poke fun at the Pirates all you want but Ohlendorf had a solid year last year and has a bright future ahead of him.

Nobody has a bright future when it includes living in and working in Pittsburgh.

[quote="eric17, post:7, topic:445"]Poke fun at the Pirates all you want but Ohlendorf had a solid year last year and has a bright future ahead of him.[/quote]

Nobody has a bright future when it includes living in and working in Pittsburgh.

This might, in part, explain why your Karma is worse than recent Pirate records.

[quote="eric17, post:7, topic:445"]Poke fun at the Pirates all you want but Ohlendorf had a solid year last year and has a bright future ahead of him.[/quote]

This might, in part, explain why your Karma is worse than recent Pirate records.

Come on, I’m from New York. It’s practically a state law that you’ve got to talk down on every other place in the world.

That just means they will either trade him in a few years, or let him go to free agency.

Touche. Positive karma for that one. :smiley:

Come on, I'm from New York. It's practically a state law that you've got to talk down on every other place in the world.

So you have an excuse for being a de? Congratulations. You win. NY rules. Still makes you a de. ::slight_smile:

Come on, I’m from New York. It’s practically a state law that you’ve got to talk down on every other place in the world.

How many times have you been to Pittsburgh and what were your experiences that are the foundation for your opinion. I guess it is tru that everyone is entitled to an opinion, whether it is an educated one or not.

Not as a Pirate.

Not as a Pirate.

Sad but very true…the motto 'building for the future" has been a 15 year work in progress. Having lived in Pittsburgh the past 2 years (since moved) it was sad to see all the empty seats in a wonderfull baseball facility with great site lines of the city. If they would start to keep the talent they develop they might actually have a winning season sometime soon. I think they have longest current postseason drought in MLB

Not as a Pirate.

Sad but very true…the motto 'building for the future" has been a 15 year work in progress. Having lived in Pittsburgh the past 2 years (since moved) it was sad to see all the empty seats in a wonderfull baseball facility with great site lines of the city. If they would start to keep the talent they develop they might actually have a winning season sometime soon. I think they have longest current postseason drought in MLB

Sad to see, but it is just not a baseball, or basketball, town. Football rules here, although hockey has made its stand as well.

My friend won this. Huge Philly fan. Should be interesting.

Not as a Pirate.

Sad to see, but it is just not a baseball, or basketball, town. Football rules here, although hockey has made its stand as well.

Actually you are wrong. I have researched this in the past, but I’m not going to recreate it here, but Pirate attendance per capita (for it’s market population) is actually nowhere near the bottom in MLB. To say that Pittsburgh isn’t a baseball town, is not supported by the data. The fact that they continue to draw any attendance at all given how long they have been bad is additional data that disproves your point.

Not as a Pirate.

Actually you are wrong. I have researched this in the past, but I’m not going to recreate it here, but Pirate attendance per capita (for it’s market population) is actually nowhere near the bottom in MLB. To say that Pittsburgh isn’t a baseball town, is not supported by the data. The fact that they continue to draw any attendance at all given how long they have been bad is additional data that disproves your point.

Yea thanks. Congratulations on your research, but I will accept the fact that Pittsburgh has been in the bottom four for overall attendance for the past six seasons as my evidence.

Of course, your arrogant attitude and ignorant response makes me also believe that you have a deep need to prove others wrong just to make yourself feel better. Therefore, it is irrelevant what your research says, since you seem unable to express it any way that is considerate.

Not as a Pirate.
[/quote]

[/quote]
[\quote]

There is no point in keeping 1 or 2 talented guys for big money when you aren’t going to win anyway. Keeping Bay or Nady for big money is a big mistake that only would have extended the losing in Pittsburgh. This line of thinking drives me crazy and I have to hear it all the time here in Pittsburgh. People simiply don’t understand the economics of how the game is played right now and what the Pirates have to do to truly build a contender. The current management team has them headed in the right direction. They inherited the biggest mess in MLB thanks to David Littlefield and have turned the minor league system from one of the worst two or three in baseball to one of the top 12-15 in just 2 years. If you’ve been reading the post-gazette the past few days you have seen some great articles about the profit the Pirates have taken in ($11 mil over 2 years). They aren’t making money anywhere close to the big boys so keeping guys for big money before they are ready to compete is a recipe for disaster. The whole plan is to have McCutchen, Alverez, Tabata, D’Arnaud, Lincoln, Alderson, and Tony Sanchez (among many other high ceiling players selected through $18 mil in spending in the last 2 drafts) arrive around 2010, 2011, 2012 and have them gel and compete. The time will come in 2015-2016 or so when guys start to hit free agency and decisions will have to be made on big contracts. The hope at that point is the increased attendence from competing will allow for some big contracts to finally be handed out. If a lot of guys become stars though there is no way they can keep everyone. This is the whole problem with baseball and why the Yankees and Red Sox are always ahead. They can hold onto who they want and pick off others to fill in holes. If the Pirates make one bad decision on a contract it affects them for years.

The whole problem though is the system is broken. What I described above is if everything goes right, and even then the Pirates might not come all that close to a title. Look at the Brewers who had a ton of talent come up together and followed the blue print of a small market team turnaround with only a few mistakes (Jeff Suppan contract), but only made the playoffs once and now do not have the money to pay everyone and will have to pick and choose who to keep and hope to develop more talent. The only way small market teams can compete is to continually draft well and sign good players from Latin America. The deck is stacked and its a tough outlook cause nobody seems to care that half the league has no chance to be a consistent playoff team.

That being said, while the Pirates will be terrible again this year, they are in the best position they’ve been in talentwise throughout their whole organization since Bary Bonds left town, so despite the national stigma, there is a small spec of light at the end of the tunnel