PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

VERY encouraging update from Tim Beidel's page (link)

Way to go Tim!

Wonderful update! :slight_smile:

Tremendous. Keep on keeping on, Tim.

That’s indeed great news.

I had a cooworker who’s husband was involved in a serious motorcycle accident. As you can imagine, his recovery was long and difficult. His progress was often measured by 2 small steps forward, and 1 small step back, but a slow and steady progress forward to a return to normal life.

I think it’s rare that you get to see that “leap” forward, but when it does it provides such a ray of hope. So gald to see Tim and his family enjoying view from cloud 9 for a change :slight_smile:

He’s really making a lot of progress, without any real setbacks yet. Let’s hope this good news continues.

Great news!

awesome news! :slight_smile:

Another great update by Larry today @ 3:20 PM. That tjb dude is a fighter! :slight_smile:

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/timbeidel

Another one this evening.

Some real milestones:

• stood (with assistance) for the first time.
  • breathing on his own for 16 hours.
  • passed a swallow test so he was able to eat solid food.
  • called his office to chat with fellow workers.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:9, topic:1129”]Another one this evening.

Some real milestones:

• called his office to chat with fellow workers.[/quote]

Great news…now we’re waiting for the next big milestone…a TJB sighting on PSU Hoops!!!

[quote="UncleLar, post:9, topic:1129"][url=http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/timbeidel]Another one this evening.[/url]

Some real milestones:

Great news…now we’re waiting for the next big milestone…a TJB sighting on PSU Hoops!!!

That will be an important milestone for sure. Hope to see him here soon.

[quote="UncleLar, post:9, topic:1129"][url=http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/timbeidel]Another one this evening.[/url]

Some real milestones:

…perhaps being well enough to charge the court and tackle Battle after a post season game winning shot. :smiley:

Some real milestones:

…perhaps being well enough to charge the court and tackle Battle after a post season game winning shot. :smiley:

Anyone catch the NCAA tennis campionships on ESPN U last night? when the girl from Stanford won her match to clich the Nat’l title, the tackle her sister gave her to start the celebration was the best tackle on the Stanford campus all season!!

Some real milestones:

Anyone catch the NCAA tennis campionships on ESPN U last night? when the girl from Stanford won her match to clich the Nat’l title, the tackle her sister gave her to start the celebration was the best tackle on the Stanford campus all season!!

Hmm Hope its on youtube. Checking now…

Found it.
Stanford Women’s Tennis : 2010 National Champions

Day #55 -- the final one at the Maine Medical Center!!!!!

Tim arrived at the New England Rehabilitation Hospital at 1:45 PM today.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/timbeidel

[url=http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/timbeidel]Another one this evening.[/url]

Some real milestones:

• called his office to chat with fellow workers.

I see where tjb might have been lurking here last Saturday, according to his summary page. Hopefully he will be well enough to post here again, sooner than later! :slight_smile:

Some real milestones:

I see where tjb might have been lurking here last Saturday, according to his summary page. Hopefully he will be well enough to post here again, sooner than later! :slight_smile:

That wasn’t Tim. It was his brother using his ID.

Some real milestones:

That wasn’t Tim. It was his brother using his ID.

Well perhaps, just perhaps, Tim’s bro was with Tim at that time checkin the site out? :slight_smile:
You do not need to answer that question, Mr. Insider! :stuck_out_tongue:

Tim “speaks” for the first time on the CaringBridge website! Sorry to hear that Tim’s dad has now joined him @ New England Rehab though.

A note from Tim:

Today I was outfitted in a kind of gear that rock climbers wear and attached to a lift between two parallel bars. With a lot of assistance from the lift, I stood up and “walked” to the end of the parallel bars. I only put a little of my own weight on my feet and my toes had to be taped up, but it successfully demonstrated that I can move my legs foward like I will need to do when I walk.

Last night I received a long visit from Roland, one of the chief respiratory therapists on the team at Maine Med. It was a social call and another happy surprise in what has been an unbelievably moving series of visits, cards, notes, calls and other ways people have shown support.

I’ve had several people reading me the notes on CB. I’m sure I have heard each note 3 times.

I am not sure yet what the larger life lessons are that I am supposed to learn from this event What I do know is that I hope that none of you out there have to live 49 years or have some dramatic illness or setback to find out how important the love of your family and friends really is.

I’m doing this installment tonight because Larry/Dad suffered a minor setback of his own over the weekend. He’s had a small stroke and it has temporarily affected his right hand. After two nights at Maine Med., he has just joined me at New England Rehab. We are seeking a group rate.

Tim

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/timbeidel/journal

I got a really nice note from Larry Beidel, Tim’s dad, last week. And by the time I called him a couple of days later, he’d had his ministroke. He’s 72 and in pretty good shape, walks a mile or two most days. But he was pretty alarmed when he tried to rise on Friday and could not.

Anyway, Larry was actually rooming with Tim in that Maine rehab place for at least a day. I called Tim on Tuesday and we had a really good and fun talk. His spirits sounded really good and he seems ready for the long haul ahead. It’s gonna be a tough daily battle in rehab but he can do it and he knows that. He’s resolved to doing what’s necessary to get back to his old self. The doctors think it will happen and I think it’s going to happen, too. Just gonna be a grind. But we have the right man for the job.

His legs have lost all sorts of strength. Tim said they just have no muscle left in them at all and it really sounds like he’s starting from zero on that front. And yet he’s begun walking with some support.

You all are here for a reason. You have a burning interest in a program that’s only found its own legs in fits and starts. Well, lemme tell you, Tim is your brother, even if you don’t know him. I’ve had a casual friendship with the guy for about 12 years now and you rarely meet a more decent, down-to-earth and yet really funny guy on a sports web site. Not like Tim. He’s one great dude. What I guess I’m trying to say is, treat this site as caretakers while Tim is down. Treat it as he would. Opinions, strong opinions, are always welcome. Just keep the drama to a minimum. Respect your fellow posters. Don’t get into dopey snits that go back and forth for three pages. Sort it out quickly and move on. And think about what’s important in life as you post. (Hint: Stuff on this board ain’t it.)

OK, done with my three cents. Now, all I gotta do is follow my own advice. :stuck_out_tongue: