Using a different ball

Caught this on Hardwood Hits…interesting, but not a game changer.
http://www.collegian.psu.edu/blogs/hardwoodhits/2009/11/handling_the_rock.aspx

Never knew there wasn’t an official ball. Am I the only one who thinks that’s wired for a sport? Do any of the teams in the tournament use the rock regularly? I would think that would give them a slight advantage.

According to their website it seems that the ball is used in a whole bunch of different events. I can’t find anything to suggest who uses the ball, but I dont imagine the difference is a big deal.

Very interesting. I always thought the ball was very important. NBA management used a “new ball” in the league a few years ago. The players made such a public “fit” the league backed down and went back to the old ball!

Tournaments do this all the time. The Old Spice Classic had the rock balls, hopefully that is not an omen. They normally send a few to the teams in the days leading up to the games (s).

I’ve played with the ball you’re refering to. It wasn’t bad until you started to sweat. The ball got really slippery. I’m in Battle’s camp…a ball is a ball. That NBA one was something different though. :slight_smile:

[quote="tundra, post:4, topic:282"]Very interesting. I always thought the ball was very important. NBA management used a "new ball" in the league a few years ago. The players made such a public "fit" the league backed down and went back to the old ball![/quote]

I’ve played with the ball you’re refering to. It wasn’t bad until you started to sweat. The ball got really slippery. I’m in Battle’s camp…a ball is a ball. That NBA one was something different though. :slight_smile:

I remember this as well and that was the exact reason the NBA players didn’t like it.

Though the NCAA doesn’t have an official ball that all the teams use during the regular season, there is an official NCAA Tournament ball. They use a composite Wilson ball for all rounds of the tournament. Also, Penn State used different balls (I don’t remember what brand, maybe Wilson?) last year during the NIT. They had the NIT logo emblazoned on them, but they were not the Nike ball that Penn State and most, if not all, Nike schools use during the season.

I went to a camp the summer before my senior season in high school that used The Rock, as they were one of the sponsors. I had a harder time getting used to it than Talor does. It was a composite ball, back when the old Wilson Evolution, which was the official ball of our State Tournament, was still full leather. It felt like I was dribbling a beach ball. It took me the entire week to get used to handling it and I never did feel comfortable shooting it. Thankfully, I think our guys are much more accomplished players and won’t have the same problems, but I do think it can be a little bit, mostly mental, of a factor.

Hopefully most/all of the other teams are used to playing with different balls as well, so nobody gets an advantage (however significant it may be).

Not a fan of the rock…some of the nike ones are okay, but personally i think the wilson evolution is by far the best ball in the world.

the solution is alright, but feels too soggy or something and always seemed heavier to me.

Except UNC-Wilmington uses it.

[quote=“PSUQuaker, post:8, topic:282”]Though the NCAA doesn’t have an official ball that all the teams use during the regular season, there is an official NCAA Tournament ball. They use a composite Wilson ball for all rounds of the tournament. Also, Penn State used different balls (I don’t remember what brand, maybe Wilson?) last year during the NIT. They had the NIT logo emblazoned on them, but they were not the Nike ball that Penn State and most, if not all, Nike schools use during the season.

I went to a camp the summer before my senior season in high school that used The Rock, as they were one of the sponsors. I had a harder time getting used to it than Talor does. It was a composite ball, back when the old Wilson Evolution, which was the official ball of our State Tournament, was still full leather. It felt like I was dribbling a beach ball. It took me the entire week to get used to handling it and I never did feel comfortable shooting it. Thankfully, I think our guys are much more accomplished players and won’t have the same problems, but I do think it can be a little bit, mostly mental, of a factor.[/quote]
Good point Quaker! Different balls mean different things to different people! In my day a different ball many times put me in a funk! Some people are more “funkable” than others.

[quote="blue2blue, post:9, topic:282"]Hopefully most/all of the other teams are used to playing with different balls as well, so nobody gets an advantage (however significant it may be).[/quote]

D’oh! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote="blue2blue, post:9, topic:282"]Hopefully most/all of the other teams are used to playing with different balls as well, so nobody gets an advantage (however significant it may be).[/quote]

yet another sign pf the ESPN-NCAA-Halliburton-Bush-Bilderburgerking-MasonicTubby Smith conspiracy to keep PSU down.

This may go a little way to explain why UNCW had such a great shooting night, and PSU had a poor night.

I remember one time (just before the half?) when Talor all but shot an air ball on a 3, and was wiping his hand off on the way back down the court. :-\

This may go a little way to explain why UNCW had such a great shooting night, and PSU had a poor night.

I remember one time (just before the half?) when Talor all but shot an air ball on a 3, and was wiping his hand off on the way back down the court. :-</blockquote>
And maybe why the team that uses the ball hit 10 threes. I’m not going to make anything of it, but it is interesting.

I remember one time (just before the half?) when Talor all but shot an air ball on a 3, and was wiping his hand off on the way back down the court. :-</blockquote>

You know what, I don’t want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but that does make some sense. We couldn’t buy a three to save our lives and they were drilling them left and right. Maybe it did make a small difference.

Just to be clear, I was talking about the NBA ball. Babb and Talor are streaky shooters. I don’t think you need to look too far into it to see why we missed perimeter shots.

Hard to say if the ball truly had any effect or not, but one other thing I noticed is that Talor wasn’t able to finish on very many of his drives - I remember only 1 or 2 times where he actually made the bucket. He got fouled a lot and was great on free throws, but normally he is able to score on a good number of those drives. So, I wonder if the different ball affected his touch on those shots a little bit. If a couple of those dropped and turned into “and-1” opportunities, that could have made a difference in the game.

We’re starting to sound like the whiners that follow the football team. :frowning: