PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

UConn's Alex Oriakhi Apparently Transferring

The 6’9" C/F has one year of eligibility left, and if UConn continues to be ineligible for next year’s NCAA tournament because of APR penalties, he can play elsewhere right away. Of course, that suggests that he wants to play for a team likely to make the tournament… :’(

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2012/03/21/sports/doc4f6a49652c150831103260.txt

Go get 'em, Pat.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a team with Frazier, Newbill and Oriakhi on the floor. They would cause some damage.

We have scholarships available, we need warm bodies, we need big men. No reason not to pursue him. And that scholarship would be freed up for Chambers’ discretion immediately after next year.

Iowa State is probably looking for a big man since Royce White is leaving

I would say PSU has a puncher’s chance. Pat could sell Frazier as a legit top tier point guard to get him the ball. And with he and Newbill added to the mix, would have the nuclues to potenially be a tourney team. Travis is the junkyard dog defensive player/rebounder. Marshall of the bench for scoring. Graham as a high quality back-up center and can also allow Oriakhi a little time at the 4 position.

Cletus good try man but I doubt he would buy it :wink:

We could def use a player with his size and skill set though Who knows crazier things have happened. ;D

Alex Oriakhi…COME TO PENN STATE!!! :smiley:

Always skeptical of any off-the-court baggage with anyone who comes from that program.

PC would have to sell Oriakhi that PSU is a tourney team with him there. PC is a salesman, but I can’t imagine it’d be enough.

What could he and Timmy get done together? Promise the guy a chance to play with the a reigning all B-10 1st team PG for their senior years, and you never know.

If I’m Oriakhi, I’m looking at who’s got space available in the middle and who’s got a PG who can get me the rock. We’ve got BOTH pretty solid.

I think if PC can ‘get in the door’ he’d be able to make one heck of a pitch…

I would love for Frazier to get the support he needs to make a run. I am not sure it would be best for the long term of the program. If we make the NCAAs I say it was worth the exposure, if we fall short the fallout could be greater than the benefit.

I like what PC says about how he needs time to see if a kid is a fit for the program and the coach. If he offers, I am on board. I absolutely trust this staff like none before.

WE never had anything but false hope before. PC is the real deal. A coach with a pulse, awesome.

I feel the same way Phanatic.

Why not Penn State for Oriakhi. If PC wants him and he can in fact convince him that he will play in the best league in America with the best backcourt combo in that league…why not Penn State.

It’s funny, but us Penn State hoop fans have developed such a complex (and probably for good reason).

"Why would this player come to PSU when he has this opportunity or that opportunity".  

Heck with that. We got ourselves a good one in PC and he is forever changing the perception of Penn State basketball.

In fact, he doesn’t have to sugar coat anything…Frazier is the best point guard in the league and a legit All-American candidate to boot, who could not only play, but start for many of the big programs in the nation.

Back to Oriakhi…he is from Lowell, Mass and played in the Big East. And I know one coach who both coached in the Big East and in the state of Massachusetts who can pull this one off if he sees fit to do so. Go get him, Pat.

Sounds to me like Oriakhi wants one more NCAA Tourney experience. I am sure there are other schools out there fighting for his services that give him a better opportunity to reach that goal.

I believe TJ McConnell is transferring from Duquesne and wants to play at a higher level. Tony Chennault is also transferring from Wake Forest.

I think the good thing is that PC is finding out that it’s good to have a couple of scholly offers in your pocket this time of year. This week, Oriakhi…next week, maybe another dynamic player from a freshly-eliminated top team who is looking for a “one-and-done” grad school scenario for next season.

[quote=“NICU, post:12, topic:3194”]Sounds to me like Oriakhi wants one more NCAA Tourney experience. I am sure there are other schools out there fighting for his services that give him a better opportunity to reach that goal.

I believe TJ McConnell is transferring from Duquesne and wants to play at a higher level. Tony Chennault is also transferring from Wake Forest.[/quote]

Sorry, McConnell is not high-major talent. I’d rather keep the scholarship open.

Apparently McConnell is looking into Arizona.

ALEX is a transfer we go get.

On it, Pat!!!

For what it is worth Arizona has the top class according to Scout in 2012. 2 centers, a PF and 2G all top 10 at position. No PG. Although trasfer rules kick in. McConnell as a PG might be someone they are looking at. Maybe they need a non-star distributing to the fab four. A selfless PG could be the answer.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:11, topic:3194”]I feel the same way Phanatic.

Why not Penn State for Oriakhi. If PC wants him and he can in fact convince him that he will play in the best league in America with the best backcourt combo in that league…why not Penn State.

It’s funny, but us Penn State hoop fans have developed such a complex (and probably for good reason).

"Why would this player come to PSU when he has this opportunity or that opportunity".  

Heck with that. We got ourselves a good one in PC and he is forever changing the perception of Penn State basketball.

In fact, he doesn’t have to sugar coat anything…Frazier is the best point guard in the league and a legit All-American candidate to boot, who could not only play, but start for many of the big programs in the nation.

Back to Oriakhi…he is from Lowell, Mass and played in the Big East. And I know one coach who both coached in the Big East and in the state of Massachusetts who can pull this one off if he sees fit to do so. Go get him, Pat.[/quote]I don’t think its anyone having a complex. If the kid said he wants to play in the Dance next year, PSU is prob not his best choice. Now if he wants to get a bunch of PT and play on an improving ball club , PSU would be a great fit.

Sounds to me like Oriakhi wants one more NCAA Tourney experience. I am sure there are other schools out there fighting for his services that give him a better opportunity to reach that goal.

I believe TJ McConnell is transferring from Duquesne and wants to play at a higher level. Tony Chennault is also transferring from Wake Forest.

Sorry, McConnell is not high-major talent. I’d rather keep the scholarship open.

He will end up playing at a high-major school. He is pretty darn good and proven at the college level.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:11, topic:3194"]I feel the same way Phanatic.

Back to Oriakhi…he is from Lowell, Mass and played in the Big East. And I know one coach who both coached in the Big East and in the state of Massachusetts who can pull this one off if he sees fit to do so. Go get him, Pat.[/quote]I don’t think its anyone having a complex. If the kid said he wants to play in the Dance next year, PSU is prob not his best choice. Now if he wants to get a bunch of PT and play on an improving ball club , PSU would be a great fit.

Well said.