PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Twit Quashed

Looks like there won’t be much tweeting from PSU Hoops players. According to Trey Lewis’ Twitter:

Due to PSU Hoops new regulations this will be my last tweet. Thank you for your support and remember to keep God first. Stay Blessed! #Peace

I can understand the reasons, but it’s kind of a bummer. I thought the twitter streams of the players were a good way to get to know more about them and help them connect with the fans, and there were VERY few times when I thought any of them stepped over the line of what should have been public.

Its probably just safer as all around. I am sure there is just cause in this.

I’ve been on this board for a long, long time…and I’ve seen and read many things…BUT NEVER did I imagine that I would ever see a thread titled: “Twit Quashed” ;D ;D

When I read the thread title I presumed that Locksmith had been banned, or that the PennLive board had crashed. ;D

I would have needed to pluralize the first word in that case. :slight_smile:

Not a bad move on the coaching staff’s part.

Paterno usually doesn’t let his freshmen talk to the press. He is cautious as to what an 18-19 year old kid may say at that moment.

Twitter allows a kid to give his thoughts at any time, and broadcasts that to all who are willing to listen.

I wouldn’t mind allowing Twittering by upper classmen.

This kind of sucks, I really liked reading our players tweets.

While Twitter is a lot of fun for the kids and fans, all it takes is for one Sheenian post to make for a sticky distraction. Given that the coaches don’t know the kids yet, it’s a safe & smart move at this point.

Makes you wonder sometimes… Tyrell Prior was famous for stirring the pot via twitter, but I never saw a tweet about his cars or his tattoos. Makes you wonder, he had to have known what he was doing and not to tweet about it.

I also think it’s a wise move. I wonder what other programs do and where the majority of schools fall on the issue?

I’m glad that Coach Chambers is going this route.

I’ve never been a fan of Twitter. It just seems to reek of the “Importance of Being Me”. Sort of like posters on message boards…um…oops. :slight_smile: Anyway, it also plays to the sadness that is the American public and media, that they would even care what an 18-21 year old “student” athlete has on their mind.

I watched ESPN SportsCenter for the first time in ages the other morning…why, I’m not sure…and realized that I was not missing much in all those ages.

Though I have to admit that I was impressed by Herm Edwards addressing the NFL rookie symposium. You think he’s a fan of Twitter. How about Bobby Knight…would he let his kids tweet if he were still at the helm. Those are real coaches who understand the value of the concept of team. Too often, twitter does nothing but bring out the importance of the individual in his daily life over the team. And for recognizing that, I applaud Coach Chambers.

I think Twitter can be what you want it to be. For me, I use it as a source of entertainment and information (shoutout to @Lord Voldemort). There are only a handful of athletes I follow, and none of them are in college.

So should Coach Chambers stop tweeting, then, too?

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:11, topic:2521"]Too often, twitter does nothing but bring out the importance of the individual in his daily life over the team. And for recognizing that, I applaud Coach Chambers.[/quote]

How would we know when he is on his golf cart handing out t-shirts?

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:11, topic:2521"]Too often, twitter does nothing but bring out the importance of the individual in his daily life over the team. And for recognizing that, I applaud Coach Chambers.[/quote]

How would we know when he is on his golf cart handing out t-shirts?

We’d watch the video that gopsusports.com put out

Sure, there are quality uses for Twitter. I’m not going to argue that point. But far too often it is “look at me and what I am doing”…Who gives a flying fruitcake.

Haha, agreed… that’s why I rarely use it. Twitter is more for celebrities and interacting with celebrities. Honestly, I don’t care to know when my buddy Joe Schmo is going to bed or what he is eating for lunch.

But in order to know what they’re saying on twitter, you have to be looking at their tweets.