PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

TV ALERT Thread

Just thought I’d start this up for anyone who wants to post PSU hoops on TV alerts…

For all you night owls, tonight’s Slippery game will be on the BTN at 3:00am (yes in an hour 45). I’ve set my Tivo and am going to bed now and will wake up to it tomorrow.

It will re-air on Monday at 11:00am

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:1, topic:201”]Just thought I’d start this up for anyone who wants to post PSU hoops on TV alerts…

For all you night owls, tonight’s Slippery game will be on the BTN at 3:00am (yes in an hour 45). I’ve set my Tivo and am going to bed now and will wake up to it tomorrow.

It will re-air on Monday at 11:00am[/quote]

Just a note on the game production. You’re going to find it a little frustrating. As part of the BTN StudentU production, they use student announcers. Unfortunately, they talk too much. It’s a TV production and they sound almost like it’s a radio broadcast. Also, the video leaves a LOT to be desired. There’s no clock or score overlay and even though I said the kids talked too much, what they didn’t do was give the score or time often enough. For the most part, you’ll only know the score when the camera occasionally cuts to the scoreboard.

The production is also cut to 90 minutes but there’s no indication during the game that you’ve missed something. Without an onscreen clock, they should at least give a “We move to further action” voice over but there’s none. You have to really be paying attention to notice you’ve missed something.

Still it’s better than nothing.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:1, topic:201"]Just thought I'd start this up for anyone who wants to post PSU hoops on TV alerts...

It will re-air on Monday at 11:00am[/quote]

Just a note on the game production. You’re going to find it a little frustrating. As part of the BTN StudentU production, they use student announcers. Unfortunately, they talk too much. It’s a TV production and they sound almost like it’s a radio broadcast. Also, the video leaves a LOT to be desired. There’s no clock or score overlay and even though I said the kids talked too much, what they didn’t do was give the score or time often enough. For the most part, you’ll only know the score when the camera occasionally cuts to the scoreboard.

The production is also cut to 90 minutes but there’s no indication during the game that you’ve missed something. Without an onscreen clock, they should at least give a “We move to further action” voice over but there’s none. You have to really be paying attention to notice you’ve missed something.

Still it’s better than nothing.

Yeah, some of the camera work was a little shaky, too. Still, I was completely thrilled just to be able to watch the scrimmage. And in glorious HighDef, no less!

Hmmm. I recorded it so I can watch tonight. I’ll remember to pay attention now. Thanks for the warning.

It was distracting when they broadcast the game using the scoreboard video screen. Especially, since that camera is on the other side of the court from the TV cameras.

Despite not giving the score, I thought the students did a fairly good job announcing the game. It did sort of have a radio broadcast feel, but they at least came prepared with solid info on all the players from both teams.

If anyone knows these kids or can get to them on Friday before they hit the air for the Penn game, just let them know that they need to give the score either after every hoop or every break in the action. We’ve become so accustomed to having the clock and score constantly on the screen that when that crutch is not present, it’s a glaring omission from the broadcast.

Regardless, I could have watched the game without announcers or score and still been OK with it.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:6, topic:201”]Despite not giving the score, I thought the students did a fairly good job announcing the game. It did sort of have a radio broadcast feel, but they at least came prepared with solid info on all the players from both teams.

If anyone knows these kids or can get to them on Friday before they hit the air for the Penn game, just let them know that they need to give the score either after every hoop or every break in the action. We’ve become so accustomed to having the clock and score constantly on the screen that when that crutch is not present, it’s a glaring omission from the broadcast.

Regardless, I could have watched the game without announcers or score and still been OK with it. [/quote]

I know the Tom kid so I’ll give him a friendly shout

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:6, topic:201"]Despite not giving the score, I thought the students did a fairly good job announcing the game. It did sort of have a radio broadcast feel, but they at least came prepared with solid info on all the players from both teams.

Regardless, I could have watched the game without announcers or score and still been OK with it.[/quote]

Have him bring one of those 3 minute hourglasses, and every time it runs out, give the score and the time left in the half. He’ll miss some for a minute or so, but he’ll get enough of them to do a good job of keeping listeners updated.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:6, topic:201"]Despite not giving the score, I thought the students did a fairly good job announcing the game. It did sort of have a radio broadcast feel, but they at least came prepared with solid info on all the players from both teams.

Regardless, I could have watched the game without announcers or score and still been OK with it.[/quote]

Have him bring one of those 3 minute hourglasses, and every time it runs out, give the score and the time left in the half. He’ll miss some for a minute or so, but he’ll get enough of them to do a good job of keeping listeners updated.

Thanks Gameday…also have them give a shout out to PennStateHoops.com ;D

The hourglass is an old trick that works.

I finally got to watch the game last night (watched it instead of the Steeler game). I didn’t think the announcers were that bad. Thought the analyst was pretty good. The worst part was just not knowing the score. But since it’s TV, would the announcers really know they need to constantly update the score? Why can’t the production crew just get a graphic on the screen to show the score? That would solve that problem.

It’s a student run production. They probably are keeping it simple with no graphics, no replays and very limited camera coverage. One high mid court camera is all I remember seeing. It’s very 1970’s, but for our needs as a fan base, it’s better than having nothing at all. Anyway, if we really need to see and follow the score in any of these early games, then PSU is in trouble.

[quote="mjg, post:10, topic:201"]I finally got to watch the game last night (watched it instead of the Steeler game). I didn't think the announcers were that bad. Thought the analyst was pretty good. The worst part was just not knowing the score. But since it's TV, would the announcers really know they need to constantly update the score? Why can't the production crew just get a graphic on the screen to show the score? That would solve that problem.[/quote]

It’s a student run production. They probably are keeping it simple with no graphics, no replays and very limited camera coverage. One high mid court camera is all I remember seeing. It’s very 1970’s, but for our needs as a fan base, it’s better than having nothing at all. Anyway, if we really need to see and follow the score in any of these early games, then PSU is in trouble.

I agree. I was just offering my critique. The guys were getting slammed on one side for acting like a radio broadcast (talking too much) and on the other side for acting like a TV broadcast (not saying the score). Just saying that if they added a simple graphic, then the score part wouldn’t be an issue. Not sure it’s that difficult to add.

[quote="mjg, post:10, topic:201"]I finally got to watch the game last night (watched it instead of the Steeler game). I didn't think the announcers were that bad. Thought the analyst was pretty good. The worst part was just not knowing the score. But since it's TV, would the announcers really know they need to constantly update the score? Why can't the production crew just get a graphic on the screen to show the score? That would solve that problem.[/quote]

I agree. I was just offering my critique. The guys were getting slammed on one side for acting like a radio broadcast (talking too much) and on the other side for acting like a TV broadcast (not saying the score). Just saying that if they added a simple graphic, then the score part wouldn’t be an issue. Not sure it’s that difficult to add.

I hear ya’

It’s usually not a difficult thing to add, but from the sounds of it they are basically just throwing voices onto a direct feed off of one camera. Very basic stuff. It probably goes directly into a satellite truck and up without having to go through a TV production truck or facility, therefore no chance to add graphics or run replays. It’s the equivalent of a live news feed that’s being sent back to the station. Here’s the pictures, here’s the sound, the people back at the station will add the graphics. In this case, the Big Ten Network doesn’t take the time nor the bother to do so.

What? You missed a great Steeler game - they looked REALLY good (at least in the 2nd half). Next time, find a way to watch both!