PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Tulane 63 Penn State 60

That was probably a good time for the site to go down to give everyone time to cool off a bit. :wink:

Too many easy baskets were missed. No one is close to filling Mel’s shoes from last year, both in leadership and in ability to produce down low when needed. Brooks is the most improved out there but he is still growing into it.

If anything good comes of this, the guys will get re-focused. Hopefully playing time is pretty much up for grabs at this point. The basketball IQ of the team needs to improve. I just about jumped out the window when we fouled with 70 seconds to go 25 feet from the basket and sent them to the line for 2 FTs. You just can’t have your more experienced guys doing that.

Great post GoSpikes. I had the same feeling with that foul. Why did he jump out so hard on a guy a foot smaller than him? Really bad foul. The team is trying! Maybe too hard. Trying to the point of pressing, not being relaxed. I think Ed is already sending “PT up for grabs” messages. Let’s see what happens.

I was trying to follow on Yahoo at work and couldn’t understand how WE got called for a foul after THEY made free throws… (I’m pretty sure this is the same foul) Was there a turnover or something?

[quote="tundra, post:2, topic:310"]Great post GoSpikes. I had the same feeling with that foul. Why did he jump out so hard on a guy a foot smaller than him? Really bad foul. The team is trying! Maybe too hard. Trying to the point of pressing, not being relaxed. I think Ed is already sending "PT up for grabs" messages. Let's see what happens.[/quote] I was trying to follow on Yahoo at work and couldn't understand how WE got called for a foul after THEY made free throws... (I'm pretty sure this is the same foul) Was there a turnover or something?

We threw the ball away on the inbounds pass and fouled the guy going for the loose ball.

Actually I was talking about Andrew’s foul at the top of the key; not Brook’s loose ball foul.

[quote="MarkH, post:3, topic:310"]I was trying to follow on Yahoo at work and couldn't understand how WE got called for a foul after THEY made free throws... (I'm pretty sure this is the same foul) Was there a turnover or something?[/quote]

We threw the ball away on the inbounds pass and fouled the guy going for the loose ball.

Thanks, Lar… You got the play I’m thinking of (I think)
That was a BIG swing after they made the resulting freethrows. Ugh.

Are we refering to the play where it looked like Battle shielded his defender from the ball as if it was soccer and didn’t even touch it? It then went to the player that was guarding Brooks (?) and he sort of pushed him out of bounds and was called for the foul?

I started to watch the game after someone posted that it was on justintv, for which I’m quite appreciative. Then work got in the way, then I had to leave at the 4 minute mark, when it was tied. But I did see something very positive. Jeff Brooks on two close possessions played with his back to the basket, received the ball, once spinning left and hitting a bank shot, once right and shooting and hitting straight in. He had his legs spread in receiving the ball, so he blocked his cover from running around him and stealing the ball. If he continues this, we will improve, but it’s got to be something like 65/25/10

65% - playing with his back to the basket
25% - at the arc, ready to put the ball on the floor and drive
10% - shooting treys.

Unfortunately, he hasn’t been doing this mix, but he’s great playing with his back to the basket. Think about him: long legs to block out potential steal, good height, great ups and long arms, all advantages for playing inside(please don’t tell me those longs arms help him shooting 3’s. It’s baloney. Let the shorter guys shoot 3’). In addition, if he played this way, and was a force inside, teams would be forced to cover him with someone big, which when he’s at the arc, will allow him to beat them off the dribble, causing problems there. This is the way Jeff can help the team best. We do not need him nor DJ shooting 3’s. Cornley hit 13 last year. That’s enough.

I know you were, but MarkH wasn’t.

This game on replay anywhere? I’d like to watch the whole thing.