PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Trey Burke vs Trey Lewis in Ohio state semifinal playoff game

I would pay to see this game. Wish its on TV.

http://www.centredaily.com/2011/03/20/2594234/trey-vs-trey.html

I can’t remember which thread it was in, but I think someone poked fun at Burke because he said PSU can’t win or whatever, and the following season PSU Danced. If Michigan builds off their success this season, they are going to be scary good next season. Burke would have made a fantastic decision as far as winning goes. Who knows how much of the court he will see.

I deleted it. I find chest thumping as distasteful as constant negativity.

[quote="noobd, post:2, topic:2220"]I can't remember which thread it was in, but I think someone poked fun at Burke because he said PSU can't win or whatever, and the following season PSU Danced. If Michigan builds off their success this season, they are going to be scary good next season. Burke would have made a fantastic decision as far as winning goes. Who knows how much of the court he will see.[/quote]

Wow, you’ve taken the last bullet of the Tucson Dress Code to heart. :slight_smile:

[quote="noobd, post:2, topic:2220"]I can't remember which thread it was in, but I think someone poked fun at Burke because he said PSU can't win or whatever, and the following season PSU Danced. If Michigan builds off their success this season, they are going to be scary good next season. Burke would have made a fantastic decision as far as winning goes. Who knows how much of the court he will see.[/quote]

Wow, you’ve taken the last bullet of the Tucson Dress Code to heart. :slight_smile:

[URL=http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7027529&l=2e22855977&id=690501560]PennStateHoops.com dress code[/URL]

[quote=“brymichig, post:1, topic:2220”]I would pay to see this game. Wish its on TV.

http://www.centredaily.com/2011/03/20/2594234/trey-vs-trey.html[/quote]

FWIW, last year the Ohio sportswriters put Lewis on the 1st or 2nd team all state. Trey Burke made honorable mention. Doesn’t necessarily mean Lewis is better, but I think Ed did fine in finding a replacement. Lewis appears to be more of a scorer, just going by some scores I’ve seen of his, a few in the 30’s.

My bad, here it is. Lewis made “special mention” team, Burke down a notch at “honorable mention”. While it doesn’t mean too much, it did come out after Burke de-committed, so IMO, Ed did great getting a replacement. As you can see that each team has the first kids “bolded”, Lewis wasn’t too far from 3rd team. Burke looks to be 25 spots or so behind. Also, J.D. Witherspoon, on OSU this season, finished last year behind Lewis.

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/news/article/7565204633675837221/all-ohio-boys-basketball-honorees-division-i-and-ii/

Really looking forward to following this kid…

I would pay to see this game. Wish its on TV.

http://www.centredaily.com/2011/03/20/2594234/trey-vs-trey.html

FWIW, last year the Ohio sportswriters put Lewis on the 1st or 2nd team all state. Trey Burke made honorable mention. Doesn’t necessarily mean Lewis is better, but I think Ed did fine in finding a replacement. Lewis appears to be more of a scorer, just going by some scores I’ve seen of his, a few in the 30’s.

My bad, here it is. Lewis made “special mention” team, Burke down a notch at “honorable mention”. While it doesn’t mean too much, it did come out after Burke de-committed, so IMO, Ed did great getting a replacement. As you can see that each team has the first kids “bolded”, Lewis wasn’t too far from 3rd team. Burke looks to be 25 spots or so behind. Also, J.D. Witherspoon, on OSU this season, finished last year behind Lewis.

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/news/article/7565204633675837221/all-ohio-boys-basketball-honorees-division-i-and-ii/

Not to be a Negative Nellie, but ESPN – who you swear does the best job analyzing talent – has Burke as the #16 PG in the class and Lewis #85. All I’m saying is that we’ll have 4 years (hopefully) of watching them go head to head. We can decide later who is better. They both seem to be solid kids. So let’s take it easy on them for now.

Boy, you can sure jump on my posts. You’re being a Negative Nellie. :wink: I never swore. But yes, keep in mind I’ve seen a bunch of these kids in HS. I saw Tobias Harris when he played for Long Island Lutheran and thought he was soft. You know what espn said? “he needs to work on getting tougher. He’s kind of soft.” I thought Taran a great defender. They said “he can be an elite defender.” This influences your thinking. But think about what’s going on in Ohio. These are Ohio sportswriters, who probably supply the services with info. Who knows better than them? In NYS, the sportswriters continually nail the best kids. Yes, espn has Burke much higher, so they may be right, but he played with Sullinger, had great AAU success, and this is where most kids are seen and rated cause they’re seen in bunches, unless maybe they win a state championship. Look at the sportswriters teams from 2007. Not bad, huh? IMO, they know better than anyone. That’s their full time job. BTW, I saw 14 of these 30 kids play in HS, several of them, Talor, K. Jones, Walker, Fredette, Mookie Jones, Coburn, Triche, Stephenson, multiple times. Biggest bust was Mookie Jones. On Syracuse, never plays. I missed on him completely, but so did Boeheim, and the services. 40th ranked nationally in '08.

Class AA
First team
G - Jonny Flynn, sr., Niagara Falls-6
G - Michael Coburn, sr., Mount Vernon-1
G - Talor Battle, sr., Bishop Maginn-2
F - Nathaniel Lester, sr., Canarsie-NYC
G-F - Lance Stephenson, soph., Abraham Lincoln-NYC
Second team
G - Richard Byrd, sr., Copaigue-11
G-F - Kyle Downey, sr., Fairport-5
F - Sylvan Landesberg, jr., Holy Cross-CHSAA
F - Markeys Deans, sr., St. Dominic-CHSAA
C - Greg Holle, sr., Albany CBA-2
Third team
G - Malik Boothe, sr., Christ The King-CHSAA
G - Sean Kilpatrick, jr., White Plains-1
F - Mike Cavataio, sr., St. Francis Prep-CHSAA
F - Justin Rutty, sr., Newburgh Free Academy-9
C - Kevin Jones, jr., Mount Vernon-1
Fourth team
G - Chris Obi, sr., Bay Shore-11
G - Kemba Walker, jr., Rice-CHSAA
F - Deandre Preaster, jr., Utica Proctor-3
F - Dane Miller, soph., Rush-Henrietta-5
C - Andrew Gabriel, sr., Christ The King-CHSAA

And here’s “A”

Class A
First team
G - Prentice Small, sr., St. John the Baptist-CHSAA
G - Jimmer Fredette, sr., Glens Falls-2
F - Melquin Bolding, jr., Archbishop Stepinac-CHSAA
F - Kevin Roth, sr., St. Francis of Athol Springs-CHSAA
C - Mookie Jones, jr., Peekskill-1
Second team
G - Mike Russell, jr., East Hampton-11
G - Brandon Triche, soph., Jamesville-DeWitt-3
F - Andy Garcia, sr., Cardinal Hayes-CHSAA
F - Nick Hendra, sr., Xavier-CHSAA
F - Elliot Watson, jr., Peekskill-1

Not to be a Negative Nellie, but ESPN -- who you swear does the best job analyzing talent -- has Burke as the #16 PG in the class and Lewis #85. All I'm saying is that we'll have 4 years (hopefully) of watching them go head to head. We can decide later who is better. They both seem to be solid kids. So let's take it easy on them for now.

Boy, you can sure jump on my posts. You’re being a Negative Nellie. :wink: I never swore. But yes, keep in mind I’ve seen a bunch of these kids in HS. I saw Tobias Harris when he played for Long Island Lutheran and thought he was soft. You know what espn said? “he needs to work on getting tougher. He’s kind of soft.” I thought Taran a great defender. They said “he can be an elite defender.” This influences your thinking. But think about what’s going on in Ohio. These are Ohio sportswriters, who probably supply the services with info. Who knows better than them? In NYS, the sportswriters continually nail the best kids. Yes, espn has Burke much higher, so they may be right, but he played with Sullinger, had great AAU success, and this is where most kids are seen and rated cause they’re seen in bunches, unless maybe they win a state championship. Look at the sportswriters teams from 2007. Not bad, huh? IMO, they know better than anyone. That’s their full time job. BTW, I saw 14 of these 30 kids play in HS, several of them, Talor, K. Jones, Walker, Fredette, Mookie Jones, Coburn, Triche, Stephenson, multiple times. Biggest bust was Mookie Jones. On Syracuse, never plays. I missed on him completely, but so did Boeheim, and the services. 40th ranked nationally in '08.

Class AA
First team
G - Jonny Flynn, sr., Niagara Falls-6
G - Michael Coburn, sr., Mount Vernon-1
G - Talor Battle, sr., Bishop Maginn-2
F - Nathaniel Lester, sr., Canarsie-NYC
G-F - Lance Stephenson, soph., Abraham Lincoln-NYC
Second team
G - Richard Byrd, sr., Copaigue-11
G-F - Kyle Downey, sr., Fairport-5
F - Sylvan Landesberg, jr., Holy Cross-CHSAA
F - Markeys Deans, sr., St. Dominic-CHSAA
C - Greg Holle, sr., Albany CBA-2
Third team
G - Malik Boothe, sr., Christ The King-CHSAA
G - Sean Kilpatrick, jr., White Plains-1
F - Mike Cavataio, sr., St. Francis Prep-CHSAA
F - Justin Rutty, sr., Newburgh Free Academy-9
C - Kevin Jones, jr., Mount Vernon-1
Fourth team
G - Chris Obi, sr., Bay Shore-11
G - Kemba Walker, jr., Rice-CHSAA
F - Deandre Preaster, jr., Utica Proctor-3
F - Dane Miller, soph., Rush-Henrietta-5
C - Andrew Gabriel, sr., Christ The King-CHSAA

And here’s “A”

Class A
First team
G - Prentice Small, sr., St. John the Baptist-CHSAA
G - Jimmer Fredette, sr., Glens Falls-2
F - Melquin Bolding, jr., Archbishop Stepinac-CHSAA
F - Kevin Roth, sr., St. Francis of Athol Springs-CHSAA
C - Mookie Jones, jr., Peekskill-1
Second team
G - Mike Russell, jr., East Hampton-11
G - Brandon Triche, soph., Jamesville-DeWitt-3
F - Andy Garcia, sr., Cardinal Hayes-CHSAA
F - Nick Hendra, sr., Xavier-CHSAA
F - Elliot Watson, jr., Peekskill-1

LMAO. How predictable.

Well I would think local reports are much better at evaluating then nation recruiting services just cause they see them much more often then the national recruiting services. I am just curious how many minutes Burke is going to get at Michigan right away because that Hardaway Jr kids is pretty good and seems to be their starterfor sure going into next year. Lewis has legit chance as starting as freshmen at some point during the season.

It’s hard to tell how a kid will match up at the next level because of the level of the competition. That’s why the camps are so important for evaluators. Can the kid get his shot, defend, rebound when the competition is at the same level?

Kid, I didn’t mean to take a shot at you. I was just trying to downplay the importance of the all state teams you keep referencing. Remember, Burke had some other pretty good players on his team last year. Sometimes writers don’t want to load up on players from the same team. Or they base their vote on just scoring. Burke didn’t score much because he didn’t have to score. I don’t think it’s fair to either Trey to continue to point to one place that has one player above the other as proof it is true. I hope it’s true. But do you really need to keep bringing up this one piece without showing others with opposing views?

That’s true, esp on the scoring, but I like scorers…shows confidence. What I notice about the ratings services is that sometimes they’re up to date, and sometimes not. For example, espn had zero commentary on Talor, but had him at 92 or 93. When they have commentary, and it’s dead on, it’s hard not to like them when you’ve seen the kid and they nail it. Scout and Rivals don’t ever have commentary, at least not what’s available to non-subscribers. espn has sometimes 4 or 5 updates on a kid, with dates.

That’s what I think. We’re talking about two Ohio kids. Hardaway’s awesome, and seems to get better by the game. UM is going to be murder next year. If Sullinger leaves, they’re winning it, IMO.

What wasn’t predictable was you posting about Upstate NYS basketball, that NY Times article a couple weeks back. Knew you’d come around to your senses… took 5 years, but still progress. :wink: But look at that list. How can you argue with their picks? Two professionals from the 1st team AA, and the top two POTY candidates in college with Walker and Fredette? I don’t think any ratings services had Talor or Fredette in their top 5-10 NYS players in their class(es). The writers did.