PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Trey Burke to Michigan

http://www.freep.com/article/20100824/SPORTS06/100824058/1356/sports/U-M-gets-commitment-from-Ohio-hoops-star

Discuss.

edit: Tom posted this 10 seconds later than I did in the Recruiting thread. :smiley:

It will be interesting to see our Trey play against their Trey.

Two Tre(y) vs. not two Trey.

That really isn’t the question, though, but it has to set a record for most Tre(y)s on the court at one time in an NCAA game.

Well there is only 9 more teams in the Big 10 left to commit to.

It will make the games against UM very interesting.

I don’t think I am being a sore loser when I say that if I were a high quality pure pg with multiple ships offered I would not choose SCum. I love their coach. BUT…it’s the offense. They play that “spread offense” where all 5 guys play on the perimeter and share the ball in a passing offense.
I would rather play in a more tradition offense when the ball is in the PG’s hand a lot.
(like PSU’s and many others)…there is still time to change your mind again.
P.S…Does SCum qualify as a “winning program??”

The Nation will remember this and ride him mercilessly when he visits the Big Joint.

I would have chose Cincy over Michigan ;D

I hope he has the same level of success as the last guy to renege on his PSU commitment to sign with the Wolverats - Michael Shaw.

I’m not trying to be too much of a homer here but is Michigan seriously that much of an upgrade over PSU at this point. I don’t know anything about their recruits but UM was not very good this past year and they’re going to be terrible this upcoming year.

Sadly reminds me of LaVel (sp?) Blanchard, who we recruited heavily and actually got to visit, going to Michigan several years back. They (UM) did not turn out to get to the NCAAs (I don’t think, check me on this) while he was there, but PSU did. I think Blanchard would have been on the 2001 Sweet 16 squad if he had come to PSU - Imagine how far we could have gotten in the tournament that year with him added to the rest!

Maybe he likes their style? Their coach? Their school? Their girls? Their grass? Who knows.

PSU wasn’t good last year, who knows about this year (likely .500 record), and they are going to be terrible next year. I don’t think its about “program quality” or else he would have never even considered PSU and would have picked Cincy over Michigan.

Agree entirely. Wasn’t Butler after him? My guess is that the other programs who contacted him probably were not solid. Wonder if there’s a little regret.

[quote=“NationBuilder, post:6, topic:1310”]The Nation will remember this and ride him mercilessly when he visits the Big Joint.[/quote]Flip flop night?

…or more recently, Pritchard. We had him until Indiana threw in a last second offer. Indiana hasn’t done squat since he’s been there.

I just want to know why we call the BJC the Big Joint? I don’t know anyone who does

not to be rude, but what have we done in that time? half a squat?

[quote="Finding Forrester, post:9, topic:1310"]I'm not trying to be too much of a homer here but is Michigan seriously that much of an upgrade over PSU at this point. I don't know anything about their recruits but UM was not very good this past year and they're going to be terrible this upcoming year.[/quote]

Maybe he likes their style? Their coach? Their school? Their girls? Their grass? Who knows.

PSU wasn’t good last year, who knows about this year (likely .500 record), and they are going to be terrible next year. I don’t think its about “program quality” or else he would have never even considered PSU and would have picked Cincy over Michigan.

Obviously I’m just speculating, but I don’t think he decommitted from PSU because he found out UM anc UC have prettier girls. I’m guessing he decommitted because PSU fininshed last in the Big10 last season…so if he left because he wasn’t impressed with the quality of the basketball program at PSU then I think it’s fair to say he didn’t have his sights set on UM when he decommitted. I’m guessing he thought he could do better than that but that’s not the way it panned out.

[quote="Finding Forrester, post:9, topic:1310"]I'm not trying to be too much of a homer here but is Michigan seriously that much of an upgrade over PSU at this point. I don't know anything about their recruits but UM was not very good this past year and they're going to be terrible this upcoming year.[/quote]

Obviously I’m just speculating, but I don’t think he decommitted from PSU because he found out UM anc UC have prettier girls. I’m guessing he decommitted because PSU fininshed last in the Big10 last season…so if he left because he wasn’t impressed with the quality of the basketball program at PSU then I think it’s fair to say he didn’t have his sights set on UM when he decommitted. I’m guessing he thought he could do better than that but that’s not the way it panned out.

Yeah I was just pointing out that there is many factors with the girls thing :smiley: Unless Burke is completely clueless, he knew that PSU is a lower tier program when he verballed - so last season’s cellar (lack of) performance shouldn’t have been too much of a surprise… compared to if it happened at MSU or OSU. I’m sure last season didn’t help at all, though.

If it was 100% about winning, Burke would have chose Cincinnati… I think. ???

Yeah I was just pointing out that there is many factors with the girls thing :smiley: Unless Burke is completely clueless, he knew that PSU is a lower tier program when he verballed - so last season’s cellar (lack of) performance shouldn’t have been too much of a surprise… compared to if it happened at MSU or OSU. I’m sure last season didn’t help at all, though.

If it was 100% about winning, Burke would have chose Cincinnati… I think. ???

I think you’re living in the past (or something).

1. Last year’s cellar performance by PSU very much should have come as a surprise coming off of the NIT championship.
  2. Rightly or wrongly, Michigan has created an image of a program on the rise under Beilein.
  3. Cincy hasn’t done crap since Huggins left and they have NEVER had a Big East winning record.

This kinda snaps us back to reality as far as where the program is at.

It’s the Penn State football team at the beginning of the decade. Yeah, they were down, but it is still a top notch program. If a kid were committed to Indiana in football, and a PSU offer came, do you think he’d do a double take?

Michigan (as much as I dislike them) still have an administration dedicated to a successful program. They still have a history of tournament appearances and success, they have All-NBA players, they have a solid solid following, and a very good national rep.

When Michigan looks at Burke and tells him, “we want you to step into it from day 1, and be our next Jalen Rose”, how do we counter that? By tell him that we want him to be the next Ben Luber?