Trey Burke Reopens Recruitment

Oh boy.

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2010/05/psu_recruit_trey_burke_re-open.html

This is ungood. Really, really ungood.

So as we all figured after this year, some of our incoming recruits have absolutely zero confidence in DeChellis and his staff. I’m sorry to say this, but the mass defections this year are reminding me more and more of the end of the Dunn era.

Added Mr. Burke: "Of course, we want to win, play at a Big Ten level, and get a great education. Trey felt he had all but one of those at Penn State."
Ouch

I agree.

When your own guys start leaving it’s the beginning of the end.

The boys really need to step it up this season to stop the spiral.

Wish I could say I was shocked. This only confirms what that previous article all but said.

[quote="BleedPSU, post:3, topic:1190"]So as we all figured after this year, some of our incoming recruits have absolutely zero confidence in DeChellis and his staff. I'm sorry to say this, but the mass defections this year are reminding me more and more of the end of the Dunn era.[/quote]

I agree.

When your own guys start leaving it’s the beginning of the end.

The boys really need to step it up this season to stop the spiral.

This spiral can’t be stopped. Once we lost both Babb and Bill I knew things could and probably would get ugly. Now losing our #1 recruit for next year isn’t helping to change my mind. Once again a big thanks goes out to you Tim C.

Ouch[/quote]

Players win games. That’s all I say on that subject.

Obviously this isn’t good news b/c Burke is going to be a player. However, allow me to try and put a positive spin on this.

If we don’t make the tournament this next year there’s a good chance Ed and the coaching staff will be gone in which case Burke would most likely be gone.

If we do make the tourney next season then I think PSU becomes more attractive to recruits and hopefully we’ll be able to snag some decent guys next spring (plus we’ll have plenty of available playing time to offer).

How bout it? Did I convince anyone that the sun is still shining…I didn’t think so :’(

Burke is a talent. I think over the summer he will be recruited by many large/top programs.

:’(

I mean this is literally like a carbon copy of the end of JD’s era. The only exception is that we didn’t make the tourney.

Not good for sure. IMO, only way to turn this around is to have decent season. A tourney berth would certainly help. I normally put high expectations, but it’s really hope, on the newbies. I’m optimistic at guard, despite losing Chris. Frazier a year older, and Buie and Bowman may be very good, and so might Marshall. But in the front line, somebody needs to play a lot, lot better than the play was last year. If it’s a returning player, one who started, fine, but my guess is that it needs to come from Sasa, Oliver or Graham. Some offense which includes inside play would change much, IMO. Insanity has been described as doing the same thing and expecting different results. The team needs to play differently, not do the same things with more effort. Otherwise, maybe not 3-16, but more likely 6-12. Ed wouldn’t survive that, IMO.

I don’t like this at all but it comes with the territory after last year and what has happened in the off season.

I think losing Edwards and Babb could be a positive. We all heard that the chemistry from last year was off. If guys didn’t want to be here that may have been a reason. Hopefully, everybody that is in the Blue and White next year wants to be here. If not the following year is going to be REALLY UGLY since we will be losing Talor, DJ, Brooks and Jones. And depending upon who the coach is we would probably lose Frazier and a couple of others.

Maybe Trey just opened it up to see what else is out there. I think he eventually signs with a Big 10 team and as long as OSU doesn’t offer him I think he eventually signs with us if we have a good year since he will want the chance to stick it to Matta for not offering him.

Good for Tre. Honestly, I can’t say that this was not a smart move on his part. He should be (or is) receiving interest from some top flight programs. I can’t say that Penn State would be his best option. Also, at least he did this early enough in the process that we didn’t get screwed over and have some time left to land a new prospect. Best of luck to him.

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:13, topic:1190”]I don’t like this at all but it comes with the territory after last year and what has happened in the off season.

I think losing Edwards and Babb could be a positive. We all heard that the chemistry from last year was off. If guys didn’t want to be here that may have been a reason. Hopefully, everybody that is in the Blue and White next year wants to be here. If not the following year is going to be REALLY UGLY since we will be losing Talor, DJ, Brooks and Jones. And depending upon who the coach is we would probably lose Frazier and a couple of others.

Maybe Trey just opened it up to see what else is out there. I think he eventually signs with a Big 10 team and as long as OSU doesn’t offer him I think he eventually signs with us if we have a good year since he will want the chance to stick it to Matta for not offering him.[/quote]1. What?
2. What?
In all seriousness he isn’t coming. Read his dad’s comments it says it all.

[quote=“jyd, post:1, topic:1190”]Oh boy.

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2010/05/psu_recruit_trey_burke_re-open.html[/quote]

I’m really glad that the AD isn’t waiting too long to make his next move, or anything like that.

[quote="jyd, post:1, topic:1190"]Oh boy.

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2010/05/psu_recruit_trey_burke_re-open.html[/quote]

I’m really glad that the AD isn’t waiting too long to make his next move, or anything like that.

But wait, this is all part of Curley’s “vision”.

I’m starting the campaign now: Stevie Wonder for Director of Athletics. He has just as much of a vision, but he is talented in other ways.

This begs the question… Ed is signed to an extension of his contract, but it’s pretty clear the the Burke’s don’t believe it. I’m sure they’re thinking the same way we are. Why “chance it” on us making the NCAA’s this year? It’s pretty clear to the Burke’s that this is the line that Ed needs to cross to keep his job regardless of what’s in his contract.

This is a no-confidence vote that this was going to happen.

And it really hurts.

Can’t say I’m surprised.

IF the minor miracle of PSU making the NCAA tournament occurs (8.652%), then possibly Burke seriously reconsiders PSU. Anything less than that and he is very likely gone for good.

The scariest part of this whole thing is Ed has a ton of spots (very important ones) to fill and we have only 1 commit for next year who is probably a little bit of a project. Hold on the ride is going to get real bumpy. :-\