PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Tourney chances?

If we beat Wisco, are we in the tournament? If we lose, do we have a shot?

Check out this thread: http://pennstatehoops.com/talk/index.php?topic=2087.0

But to answer your question:

• Beat Wisky and PSU has a chance on Sunday
  • Lose and they have no chance
  • Win two and they are a lock.

If selection was today, we would be about 50-50. If we lose we drop down and have no shot. If we win today, we are in.

How can a loss to a Top-10 team possibly take us from 50/50 to completely out…

If selection was today, we would be about 50-50. If we lose we drop down and have no shot. If we win today, we are in.

How can a loss to a Top-10 team possibly take us from 50/50 to completely out…

There just isn’t that much difference between the teams on the bubble.

The BUBBLE is a fickle place to be. Even if it were PSU that lost to OSU in OT today (instead of NW), because we didn’t win, even though we took the BEST TEAM in the nation to OT, we’d probably still be out. Win and we’re probably in. It’s that RAZOR THIN a difference. Ted Hillary makes the “CORRECT” call and we might be in already with a 10-8 BT record and a big SCALP on the ROAD (how’s that look Rokk?) :slight_smile:

Well I don’t think PSU is 50/50 right now, but a loss would mean that Penn State would have to back their way into the tournament (4-5 teams have significant losses that knock them down a few pegs) since they can’t play anymore.

Memory lane…

I didn’t spot any LOCK CITY however

I’m not disagreeing with the statement that with a loss we’re most likely not going to make the tournament, but if you truly believe that we’re 50/50 if Selection Sunday were today, then I don’t see how a loss would drop us that far. All of the bubble teams are going to get one more loss, and ours coming to a top 10 team wouldn’t look so terrible comparatively.

If today were Selection Sunday, I think we’d have about a 20% chance. I think a win tonight (and loss tomorrow) gives us about a 65% chance.

Bingo.

We have too many losses, no matter who they came to or the score of the games. We need a higher number in the “W” column with such a high number in the “L” column.

If Illinois beats Michigan today, it helps us. ESPN thinks UM is in; but a first round loss to the Illini would probably eliminate them.

Looking good too. 34-23 Illini at the half.

Listening to Illinois Michigan and the announcers just said They are using the spaulding ball.

This win was ugly enough they aren’t a lock yet. They at least need to look good tomorrow.

Not sure about that, but it’s not great that 3 of the remaining 4 teams were 9-9 on the season. Can you imagine if NU won today? Purdue and IL winning would have helped. But if 6 teams make it, we’d have to be in, no?

This win was ugly enough they aren't a lock yet. They at least need to look good tomorrow.

Not sure about that, but it’s not great that 3 of the remaining 4 teams were 9-9 on the season. Can you imagine if NU won today? Purdue and IL winning would have helped. But if 6 teams make it, we’d have to be in, no?

You were on to something yesterday with the insight about NW against athletic overplaying defenses. I wanted to say something at the time but I didn’t have the guts, also thought OSU would roll.

If we ever play OSU again I hope Diebler has a midterm or something.

Well, DeChellis and Dana O’Neil both seemed pretty confident that this win tonight sealed the deal for us.

Me, I’m not so sure. Right now, the only thing I’m keeping my eyes on is the game tomorrow, and I hope the guys do the same. Nothing is ever certain, so for now, I think the focus should just stay on the MSU game. Personally, I’m not even gonna think about the NCAA tourney until this tourney is over with.

Although I do get the optimism people are feeling right now. ;D

I don’t really know what this means. A low scoring win is just as valuable as a high scoring win. Unless you think the selection committee has some bias against teams that play good defense?

Holding a top 25 team to less than 40 points is an impressive feat, no?