PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Tough loss

Didn’t read the IGT, but I’ll bet some of these issues were covered during the game:

1. I thought Temple hammered and hacked our guards all game. Even the Big Ten refs, who allow a lot of contact, would have called those fouls. I rarely see Talor, Andrew, or Tim complain, but they complained a lot during the game. I’m sure playing our guards tough and physical was Dunphy’s game plan and the refs let him get away with it.

2. Conversely, we got called for some really ticky-tack fouls.

3. With Jeff in there, we were a better team than Temple by 10 points. If Jeff had been 100% healthy, we were a 15 pt better team.

4. I’ve said it before, but in our last two games, we could have really used Andrew Ott against Sullinger and Allen. I’m not saying Ott would have stopped either of these guys, but he and Andrew Jones could have kept a body on him for 10 fouls instead of 5.

5. If Jeff hadn’t been hurt this year, we would have won at least two more in the Big Ten and won at least one game in the NCAA tournament.

6. It’s tough to lose your last game. In the meatgrinder that is the NCAA tournament, 67 out of 68 teams lose their last game of the season. In the NIT, 31 of 32 teams lose their last game. So 98 of the 100 best college basketball teams lose their last game. Maybe the college bowl season has it right after all - roughly 30 teams win their last game of the season and go out on a high note.

7. Great season guys, next year will be a challenge, but I’ll be there.

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:2203”]Didn’t read the IGT, but I’ll bet some of these issues were covered during the game:

1. I thought Temple hammered and hacked our guards all game. Even the Big Ten refs, who allow a lot of contact, would have called those fouls. I rarely see Talor, Andrew, or Tim complain, but they complained a lot during the game. I’m sure playing our guards tough and physical was Dunphy’s game plan and the refs let him get away with it.

3. With Jeff in there, we were a better team than Temple by 10 points. If Jeff had been 100% healthy, we were a 15 pt better team.[/quote]

1 & 2 - I was switching between games a lot because I was watching with friends, but I saw Temple get called for a lot of really ticky tack fouls when guarding Battle. Didn’t really think the refs were a problem, but I didn’t see every minute. Just one observation.

3 - If Scootie Randall and Michael Eric were 100% healthy… 18PPG/11RPG/1.6BPG … two starters. IF IF IF.

I feel so bad for this team. Another loss the same way of Purdue and Michigan. I am proud they left it all on the court.

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:2203”]Didn’t read the IGT, but I’ll bet some of these issues were covered during the game:

3. With Jeff in there, we were a better team than Temple by 10 points. If Jeff had been 100% healthy, we were a 15 pt better team.

4. I’ve said it before, but in our last two games, we could have really used Andrew Ott against Sullinger and Allen. I’m not saying Ott would have stopped either of these guys, but he and Andrew Jones could have kept a body on him for 10 fouls instead of 5.

5. If Jeff hadn’t been hurt this year, we would have won at least two more in the Big Ten and won at least one game in the NCAA tournament.

6. It’s tough to lose your last game. In the meatgrinder that is the NCAA tournament, 67 out of 68 teams lose their last game of the season. In the NIT, 31 of 32 teams lose their last game. So 98 of the 100 best college basketball teams lose their last game. Maybe the college bowl season has it right after all - roughly 30 teams win their last game of the season and go out on a high note.

7. Great season guys, next year will be a challenge, but I’ll be there.[/quote]

Allen played 40 minutes and had 3 points. 1 of 5 from the field. I think Andrew did pretty darn well. Can’t worry about the “if” players. We played the season with the players we had!!

Didn't read the IGT, but I'll bet some of these issues were covered during the game:

7. Great season guys, next year will be a challenge, but I’ll be there.

Allen played 40 minutes and had 3 points. 1 of 5 from the field. I think Andrew did pretty darn well. Can’t worry about the “if” players. We played the season with the players we had!!

Agreed he played great D. Just wish he could have finished a few around the hole (always seems like he makes an extra move or 2 instead of just laying it straight up)