Tough break for Northwestern

Kevin Coble went down with a left foot injury in yesterday’s practice. Its extent is unknown.

Good for us. That’s all I care about.

That stinks for NW and Coble. I remember the special that the B10 or ESPN did on him last year and how he took off a bunch of time during basketball to help his sick mother. I hope it’s nothing serious.

[quote="NationBuilder, post:1, topic:219"]Kevin Coble went down with a left foot injury in yesterday's practice. Its extent is unknown.[/quote] Good for us. That's all I care about.

Let me guess, you are from Philly and cheer when opposing players go down in a heap.

Would you also like Kalin Lucas to have a season-ending injury? How about Robbie Hummel’s back to go out on him again. And while we’re at it, let’s off Evan Turner and Manny Harris as well. In fact, let everyone from the Big Ten suffer with devastating injuries, so PSU can back into the Big Ten title.

All I know is that when I played competitively and now that I coach youth sports teams, I always want the best players on the field/court for both teams. For one, it makes for a fair contest with no excuses. And two, it brings out the best in everyone.

Another thing, I didn’t hear anyone cheer Claxton’s injury when he went down, saying “good for us”. Big Ten basketball fans, for the most part, are a classy bunch (save for the Illini in the Eric Gordon affair >:() as most everyone felt sorry for both Geary and PSU.

Kevin Coble’s one of the really good guys playing college sports. This is devastating news if it will cost him his season.

[quote="NationBuilder, post:1, topic:219"]Kevin Coble went down with a left foot injury in yesterday's practice. Its extent is unknown.[/quote] Good for us. That's all I care about.

Let me guess, you are from Philly and cheer when opposing players go down in a heap.

Would you also like Kalin Lucas to have a season-ending injury? How about Robbie Hummel’s back to go out on him again. And while we’re at it, let’s off Evan Turner and Manny Harris as well. In fact, let everyone from the Big Ten suffer with devastating injuries, so PSU can back into the Big Ten title.

All I know is that when I played competitively and now that I coach youth sports teams, I always want the best players on the field/court for both teams. For one, it makes for a fair contest with no excuses. And two, it brings out the best in everyone.

Another thing, I didn’t hear anyone cheer Claxton’s injury when he went down, saying “good for us”. Big Ten basketball fans, for the most part, are a classy bunch (save for the Illini in the Eric Gordon affair >:() as most everyone felt sorry for both Geary and PSU.

Kevin Coble’s one of the really good guys playing college sports. This is devastating news if it will cost him his season.

Nah, I’m from New York, and I hate Philly fans. I’m not applauding the injury, I think it sucks for Northwestern and for Coble. But looking at it from our perspective? You can’t tell me that it’s not a good thing if he misses some time, because we could be directly competing with Northwestern for a tournament spot. I don’t want people to get hurt, but if Penn State benefits from someone’s injury, well, it’s good for us. That’s the fact of the matter.

Not good for us…

What that means is that he may be out of the OOC, which will hurt NWstern and the rest of the BIG TEN in the RPI, then he will come back during the regular season.

Nah, I’m from New York, and I hate Philly fans. I’m not applauding the injury, I think it sucks for Northwestern and for Coble. But looking at it from our perspective? You can’t tell me that it’s not a good thing if he misses some time, because we could be directly competing with Northwestern for a tournament spot. I don’t want people to get hurt, but if Penn State benefits from someone’s injury, well, it’s good for us. That’s the fact of the matter.

I think it’s bad for us, because if NW stinks, then it hurts our RPI. But it’s not about us. It’s about the kids. I want us to win, but not because some other kids got injured. That’s not a “sporting” way to look at “sports”.

I think it’s bad for us, because if NW stinks, then it hurts our RPI. But it’s not about us. It’s about the kids. I want us to win, but not because some other kids got injured. That’s not a “sporting” way to look at “sports”.

Our conference RPI is nothing to worry about, at all. Our OOC RPI is the biggie. That being said, definitely a tough break for Coble and NW. I wish him a speedy recovery, hopefully the injury is minor and he’ll miss minimal time.

"EVANSTON, Ill. - Northwestern University senior forward Kevin Coble (Scottsdale, Ariz./Scottsdale Christian Academy) suffered an injury to his left foot during Tuesday’s practice session. The extent of the injury is unknown at this time and he is slated to undergo further examination Friday morning. "

That gap suggests swelling, which suggests not a minor injury.

I see the point you are trying make, but it really came across as “applauding the injury” in your original post. A simple explanation to your opinion, like the one in your second post, would show the board that you’re not just a heartless fool and that you have good reasons to say “good for us”.

Honestly, in the long run, it might be good for PSU. I think most pundits have the Big Ten penciled in for seven bids to the NCAA, with an outside chance at eight. With both Iowa and Indiana looking like they won’t be one of those seven, that probably will leave PSU, NW and Wisconsin battling it out for that last spot or two.

:frowning: -1 karma for the uncalled for, and ill-directed, cheap shot.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me wish you stayed over on the FOS board. Then again I guess it’s a sign of progress that you guys are coming over here.

I’m a huge Philly guy, but I’ve never been glad to see anybody get hurt…Coble is a great player, wouldn’t want that for him

I see the point you are trying make, but it really came across as “applauding the injury” in your original post. A simple explanation to your opinion, like the one in your second post, would show the board that you’re not just a heartless fool and that you have good reasons to say “good for us”.

Honestly, in the long run, it might be good for PSU. I think most pundits have the Big Ten penciled in for seven bids to the NCAA, with an outside chance at eight. With both Iowa and Indiana looking like they won’t be one of those seven, that probably will leave PSU, NW and Wisconsin battling it out for that last spot or two.

I hear you. Look, I never root for injuries, and it’s a damn shame when they happen. But this a PSU-centric board, and I’m looking at this wholly from a Penn State point of view. Anything that helps us get to the tournament would be a net positive, though I’m not hoping for the Michigan State team plan to crash or anything crazy like that. I hope Kevin Coble gets well and helps Northwestern be a good team, but if he has to miss a couple games in the early season and Northwestern takes an RPI hit? I’m not complaining.

I’m a huge Philly guy, but I’ve never been glad to see anybody get hurt…Coble is a great player, wouldn’t want that for him

I’m also a Philly guy and while I agree with most of what you said, you can’t (in fact no one can) tell me that they wouldn’t mind seeing Arod take a line drive in the groin. And no that is not WS sour grapes. I would never wish an injury on Jeter.

I couldn’t disagree more. We want our opponents to do as good as possible when we’re not playing them. Strength of Schedule means a lot more in hoops that in football, and unless we end up sitting square on the bubble with Northwestern, every win that they get is good for us (especially in the non-conference).

[quote="Devon, post:14, topic:219"]I hope Kevin Coble gets well and helps Northwestern be a good team, but if he has to miss a couple games in the early season and Northwestern takes an RPI hit? I'm not complaining.[/quote]

I couldn’t disagree more. We want our opponents to do as good as possible when we’re not playing them. Strength of Schedule means a lot more in hoops that in football, and unless we end up sitting square on the bubble with Northwestern, every win that they get is good for us (especially in the non-conference).

Pretty much only in the non-conference. Once you get to conference play, every conference win is countered by a conference loss so they balance out (except when they play Iowa and Indiana - root for all the other Big Ten schools to beat them since they only appear on our schedule once).

[quote="Devon, post:14, topic:219"]I hope Kevin Coble gets well and helps Northwestern be a good team, but if he has to miss a couple games in the early season and Northwestern takes an RPI hit? I'm not complaining.[/quote]

Pretty much only in the non-conference. Once you get to conference play, every conference win is countered by a conference loss so they balance out (except when they play Iowa and Indiana - root for all the other Big Ten schools to beat them since they only appear on our schedule once).

Eh, I dunno about that. I think they tend to look at record in conference and it’s not like Northwestern was the reason why people say the Big Ten is the best conference. Northwestern struggling really doesn’t hurt the conference as much as it would if, say, Kalin Lucas got hurt and Michigan State looked bad.

Eh, I dunno about that. I think they tend to look at record in conference and it’s not like Northwestern was the reason why people say the Big Ten is the best conference. Northwestern struggling really doesn’t hurt the conference as much as it would if, say, Kalin Lucas got hurt and Michigan State looked bad.

The conversation was about strength of schedule. That’s a numbers game and once you are in conference your SOS changes little because every win by a conference team also means a conference team loses. The only time it matters is when an opponent that you play twice comes up against an opponent that you are only going to meet once, i.e. Indiana and Iowa. In those cases it’s slightly beneficial if your two time opponent wins.

I have never in any sport wanted to play a team with anthing other than their best players at full strength. It’s not about just getting the W. I can’t understand that.

But I also can’t understand how anyone could root against our conference brethern in OOC games. That just doesn’t make any sense.

I suppose, though, if this were purely a rational exercise it wouldn’t be nearly as fun!