PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Top 5 Coaches On The Hot Seat (CBS article)

Don’t get too excited, he’s not on there. But you probably thought he was right? :smiley:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14186981/top-5-coaches-on-the-hot-seat/rss

Pat Knight, Texas Tech Sidney Lowe, NC State John Beilein, Michigan Doc Sadler, Nebraska Karl Hobbs, George Washington

Amazing to me the fall Hobbs and Beilein have taken the last few years.

Beilein had an underachieving year last year because of the antics of Harris and Sims, who were the complete opposite of leaders. That team was dysfunctional and had no chemistry. One bad year and it’s like the guy can’t coach. I really don’t get it.

Yes, except that his UM teams have not even come close to the expectations that were build after he left a sweet 16 team at WVU. This will be now year 4 (I think) with only modest improvement, certianly not the upper-1/2 of the conference where the alums thought they’d be by now. If he doesn’t get this year’s team missing the Thursday tourney games there’s going to be a lot of heat.

We all said 4 or 5 years ago when the new batch of coaches came in, all with high credentials… it’s a zero sum game, one or more of them weren’t going to make it (and how hard it would be for our Eddie to crack that list)

The reason Beilein is on the list and Ed isn’t, is because in his 3 years, Beilein’s never finished higher than 7th. Ed finished 6th in '08/09, which is why PSU made the tourney over Michigan(and Minny) that year. :wink:

Crean has to be on that list, no? Lot less patience in Bloomington than in Ann Arbor, at least re basketball. Beilein also lost Epke Udoh(sp), who was a lottery pick last year. It seems like he doesn’t like/want big men, at least not to play like big men. Pitsnogle didn’t play big at WVU.

[quote="eric17, post:2, topic:1422"]Beilein had an underachieving year last year because of the antics of Harris and Sims, who were the complete opposite of leaders. That team was dysfunctional and had no chemistry. One bad year and it's like the guy can't coach. I really don't get it.[/quote]

Yes, except that his UM teams have not even come close to the expectations that were build after he left a sweet 16 team at WVU. This will be now year 4 (I think) with only modest improvement, certianly not the upper-1/2 of the conference where the alums thought they’d be by now. If he doesn’t get this year’s team missing the Thursday tourney games there’s going to be a lot of heat.

We all said 4 or 5 years ago when the new batch of coaches came in, all with high credentials… it’s a zero sum game, one or more of them weren’t going to make it (and how hard it would be for our Eddie to crack that list)

His first year he was left with absolute garbage.

His second year they overachieved, beat Duke and UConn, and made the round of 32 - way above expectations

Last year, they underachieved greatly.

This year they’re rebuilding with a bunch of youth. They’ll certainly be competitive and much more cohesive team without Sims/Harris, but they probably won’t win too many games in the senior-heavy league. They’ll be in position next year to make noise in the conference.