PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Tony Carr in the pros [Was: “ ... declares for NBA Draft” and “... Pro Prospects, Return?”]

2 Likes

I might be one of Tony’s biggest fans around these parts, or at least one of his most vocal defenders against absurd claims about his ability, but anyone advising this kid he’s ready for the NBA or that he should leave right now is doing him a huge disservice imo. (At least if you are talking solely about whether or not he’s ready for that as a basketball player, no idea about the rest of the things that go into that decision and won’t pretend to.)

But as a ball player, he needs more time. And that’s not to say he isn’t special and won’t end up there someday, but he very clearly can still improve in a lot of areas that he’s going to need at that level. Maybe some will tell him he’s better off working on those things at the next level or the g-league or overseas, and maybe that’s true to some extent. But I also think he could improve on those things while staying put and still get his degree and maybe do something special here like he set out to do when he signed with us.

2 Likes

Somewhat surprisingly hard to find out what the chances are of making an NBA team even if you are drafted. (That is, takes more than three minutes of Googling.)

Here’s an analysis of a 20-year period:

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

If I may add this, and it has been alluded to before, WE HAVE A PLAYER WHO IS SO GOOD AS A SOPHOMORE, THERE IS LEGITIMATE DEBATE ABOUT WHETHER THAT SOPHOMORE CAN OR WILL LEAVE EARLY FOR THE NBA.

(Sorry for shouting.) How far we’ve come.

3 Likes

This is also interesting. I am surprised by the number of draftees who played at least one NBA game - thought it would be smaller.

Agree, with special emphasis on the interesting question of whether the G League or the Big Ten is a better place to do that…

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he goes pro w/o an agent just to explore his options

He will get a draft eval at the very least.

3 Likes

We can only hope he’s referring to the draft, but he also could be referring to eating ghost peppers.

3 Likes

That mantra is the exact opposite to the one I lived my college years by.

I’ve been cooking with ghost chiles for a few years and can handle them in moderation. Last year I bought a few Carolina Reapers (supposedly twice as hot as the ghost) and froze them. They’ve been sitting in my freezer taunting me. So I made a 12oz batch of hot sauce with two of the Reapers to try. I’m taking it along to my annual trip to the Poconos with the guys to watch hoops, wrestling, eat and drink. I always find that it is best to share the misery.

By the way, I made the sauce with both kitchen windows open even though it was in the 40s. My apartment still smells of Capsaicin, and it’s been four days.

2 Likes

I got some scorpion pepper jerky for Christmas. I was able to eat it OK, but I felt the consequences for nearly a month after. I think my digestive track had to reset itself

That sounds a lot like “I’m declaring but not signing with an agent”

1 Like

I’m sure that Tony is going to test the waters. I’m not sure that he is a 1st round pick, but if he get’s info that he is I’m sure that he won’t be coming back to Penn State. Personally I think he can work on his shooting, decision making, and his defense. He should come back for another season, but we’ll see how everything plays out. We still have the post season to look forward to.

1 Like

As a Penn State fan, I would like to see him come back. As a fan of the players, I really don’t see a reason why he would.

I read David Jone’s article. The negative he give to Tony Carr are ones that have me asking myself, “Would he be better off working on them in college or the pros?”

• Conditioning… If his conditioning is suspect, should he play another 35 game season or an 82 game season to help his conditioning?

• Release point… To me, this is something people like to dig, but I really don’t think it makes that much of a difference in the pros. Even if he has a hitch, does he really want to try to change his form, and play like that next season, almost assuring that his % is going to drop?

• Avoiding contact… Where better to work on this in the pros. Does it take much to change his mindset on contact? Does he need a week of drills vs. and entire season in college?

If he’s a lock (from best intelligence) to go in Round 1, that gives you a real good look and gets you callbacks from the G League. It’s like an Ivy League degree - top of the résumé pile.

Harder decision otherwise. I think he could improve his position if he improves like he did this year.

Keep in mind that the biggest difference between college and the pros is that college purposely restricts access to coaching staffs and restricts practice time.

When he goes Pro, Carr will have so much more access to the resources he needs than he is allowed to have in college. Hell, I think he would have more access to PENN STATE’S staff once he goes pro, than he will if he stays an eligible student-athlete.

I agree with everything you’re saying. My point is only about ‘credentialing’ - trying to get that First Round Pick label that can serve you if you are an in-betweener. There are other ways to try to get to the League that might be better.

In my years of watching college basketball and the draft, I find that the biggest commodity that most of these kids have is “potential”. The pros draft these kids with the image of what they will eventually become. Staying in college only shows what you are not able to improve upon. Most of the time, these kids will peak in their FR or SO years. By the time they are JRs and SRs, the pros are looking at the next wave of underclassmen and that class’s potential.

• 2017, only 2 of the TOP 26 picks were upperclassmen
  • 2016 only 7 of the TOP 29 picks were upperclassmen
  • 2015 only 5 of the TOP 26 picks were upperclassmen (Kaminsky and Dekker were 2 of them

I can’t say that I never have seen it, but if a kid is perhaps a 1st round pick as an underclassman, I seldom see him IMPROVE his standing in the draft by returning to school.