Tonight's SCAHS game

Kudos to NICU for the following link. The SC game is 6th from the bottom. 7:30pm.

http://www.msasportsnetwork.com/main_calendar.asp?region=1

These msa radio games are great for players and families. Several of my son’s games were on msa when he played HS.

Thanks for the reminder, Kid. I definitely plan on tuning in.

From what I understand, Williamsport is pretty down this year. Such a shame. The Magic Dome was a crazy place to play back when they had good teams every year.

Taran is playing at Williamsport tonight?? That’s where I’m at right now for the break. It looks like I might have to go to the game tonight…

They may be REALLY DOWN for tonight’s game. The Harrisburg Patriot News reported in today’s paper that 10 WHS hoops players (juniors and seniors) are serving 10 day suspensions from school after being caught allegedly using pot at the York Bearcat’s Tip-Off Tourney 12/11 - 12/12.

[quote="NICU, post:3, topic:535"]From what I understand, Williamsport is pretty down this year.[/quote]

They may be REALLY DOWN for tonight’s game. The Harrisburg Patriot News reported in today’s paper that 10 WHS hoops players (juniors and seniors) are serving 10 day suspensions from school after being caught allegedly using pot at the York Bearcat’s Tip-Off Tourney 12/11 - 12/12.

WOW! That should make for an interesting game ::slight_smile: I did read on the pennlive board that some of the best players are freshman?

I wouldn’t count on that link working. The game is being broadcast on 1450 WQWK and, as far as I know, they don’t stream their station anymore.

They don’t stream the station, but in the past they set things up to stream with msasportsnetwork. They have been doing it for the last several years. That said, I am getting nothing right now.

59-43 State High wins. Buie with 16.

Buie didn’t dominate the game like he could have, however, it seemed that he easily could have but didn’t need to.

The first thing that jumped out at me was his body - he isn’t a Tim Frazier-like kid, he already seems to be developing a college-ready body and build.

He made some moves that make you go “wow.” For example, early in the game he did a move that literally made a kid fall down. He also had an impressive dunk where he nearly went verticle and slammed it down with power.

That being said, he missed a few lay-ups and his free throw shooting seemed suspect, at best. I’m looking forward to seeing a few more games of his at State high next semester. I think he had a bit of an off night tonight.

Also, there was a 2-on-1 fast break in which Taran called for an oop. His teammate just kept it himself and went for the lay-up. The only reason I mention that is because he seemed disconnected from the rest of his team - it seemed as if Williamsport was playing two different teams. Either Taran took it and did everything by himself (a man amongst boys) or the other 4 players on the court worked the ball around without Taran.

Taran’s D seemed good (he made some nice steals as well), but at times it seemed like he just didn’t really care. I can’t really blame him though - moving before his senior season. The other players on his team have been playing and molding together for much of their lives. Taran has only known them for months.

[quote=“State4Life, post:10, topic:535”]Buie didn’t dominate the game like he could have, however, it seemed that he easily could have but didn’t need to.

The first thing that jumped out at me was his body - he isn’t a Tim Frazier-like kid, he already seems to be developing a college-ready body and build.

He made some moves that make you go “wow.” For example, early in the game he did a move that literally made a kid fall down. He also had an impressive dunk where he nearly went verticle and slammed it down with power.

That being said, he missed a few lay-ups and his free throw shooting seemed suspect, at best. I’m looking forward to seeing a few more games of his at State high next semester. I think he had a bit of an off night tonight.[/quote]

His free throw shooting has not been good, and I can see he was 2-6 last night. What was with all the FT shooting, SC was 11-23 and Williamsport was 6-18? Any explanation how Williamsport got the name, “Millionaires?”

Sounds like there could be some resentments on the squad. Are the football players back and playing yet?

Here’s the story. I see Buie had 17.

http://www.sungazette.com/page/content.detail/id/537080.html?nav=5017

[quote="State4Life, post:10, topic:535"]Buie didn't dominate the game like he could have, however, it seemed that he easily could have but didn't need to.

That being said, he missed a few lay-ups and his free throw shooting seemed suspect, at best. I’m looking forward to seeing a few more games of his at State high next semester. I think he had a bit of an off night tonight.[/quote]

His free throw shooting has not been good, and I can see he was 2-6 last night. What was with all the FT shooting, SC was 11-23 and Williamsport was 6-18? Any explanation how Williamsport got the name, “Millionaires?”

Sounds like there could be some resentments on the squad. Are the football players back and playing yet?

Football players are back, Colby Way had something like 13+ points

[quote="State4Life, post:10, topic:535"]Buie didn't dominate the game like he could have, however, it seemed that he easily could have but didn't need to.

I believe Williamsport was a big logging town back in the day, and had a lot of money coming through.

I don’t think not throwing an oop is a sign of resentment. Sometimes making the smart, easy play is better than taking a chance on the exciting, flashy play. This is the fourth game with him on the team. I’m sure it will take away for all parties to really gel. Hopefully by the end of the season they, which could lead to a nice little run in the state playoffs.

At one point (late 1800’s) Williamsport had more millionaires per capita than anywhere else in the world.
Pretty much downhill from there.

I believe Williamsport was a big logging town back in the day, and had a lot of money coming through.

I don’t think not throwing an oop is a sign of resentment. Sometimes making the smart, easy play is better than taking a chance on the exciting, flashy play. This is the fourth game with him on the team. I’m sure it will take away for all parties to really gel. Hopefully by the end of the season they, which could lead to a nice little run in the state playoffs.

Maybe the non-oop not a sign of resentment, but dunks have more of an effect than a flashy two points, especially in HS bball. They can sap energy from an opponent, and give energy to your team, drive the crowd crazy, so IMO, worth more than two points, esp in HS, but even in college. Remember Talor’s end to end dribble and dunk finish in the SHU game freshman year? That got the crowd pumped, and led to very a big win. And looked how pumped Talor got with hit. Didn’t he score 9 straight points? BTW, I saw many, many missed dunks at Maginn HS, some by Talor, more by Taran(he attempted more) and lots of others. Sometimes the game became kind of a dunk show. I know it’s not optimal, but if you’re having fun like that, you’re almost disregarding and disrespecting the other team. That can crush them psychologically. That has value.

I hate dunks in the pros, but in HS? I think they help show you can dominate your opponent, esp if they can’t respond in kind. If you’ve done that, you’ve won.

Previous posts have it right. In the 1880’s Williamsport was the lumber capital of the U.S… Loggers clear cut trees off the nearby mountains and floated them down the West Branch of the Susquehanna River in log booms. When I was a kid, a couple times motor boaters hit submerged log booms, sometimes with tragic results. The lumber business spawned a group of millionaires who built Victorian mansions along a five-block section of Fourth Street. Most of the mansions still stand, although their glory has faded some.

I remember going to a holiday tournament in ‘87 (I think). Must have been Billy Owens’ senior year at Carlisle. The Herd was playing against Mechanicsburg (next town over, but more of a football rival if any rivalry really exists today). The Wildcats had some 6’10" guy that I think went to St. John’s (I don’t remember). He was very vocal before the game about how he was going to stop Owens and they were going to beat Carlisle (who finished the season unbeaten and ranked 5th in the country in the final USA Today high school rankings). Well, the opening tip led to a fast break dunk for Carlisle and the rest is history. The game was never close. Not sure how much the dunk meant, but I’m sure it was a big statement to any Mechanicsburg player who really thought they had a chance.

Side story – I took a girl from Palmyra (small town in Lebanon County) to the game. She had been to many basketball games at her High School, but had never seen anyone dunk in a game. I promised her at least two dunks. She thought I was nuts. I think Carlisle had two in the first quarter and probably at least 5 for the game. She couldn’t believe it. I was used to it having gone to Carlisle and seeing many games against Steel High (Rod Brookin), Harrisburg (Dan Buie anyone?), etc.

Kid - At State College, emphasis is put on making the solid play. An oop would have been exciting, but from the story, State College lead from start to finish. If the paly came when Port was making their run, then securing the definite two points would have been priority #1. Not to mention, most of these kids haven’t really played with lots of players that can jump like Taran. Throwing a good oop while running full speed on a fastbreak isn’t an easy play.

I agree with you regarding dunks and what they do for momentum in high school. Just saying nobody should read into that one play too much.

[quote=“laoDan, post:15, topic:535”]At one point (late 1800’s) Williamsport had more millionaires per capita than anywhere else in the world.
Pretty much downhill from there.[/quote]
Yep. Hopefully the current Marcellus shale and cornucopia of natural natural gas deposits give a boom to the Williamsport economy. Halliburton (Dick Cheney’s company) is in town.