Todd Lickliter surgery for brain aneurysm

Iowa head coach Todd Lickliter is undergoing, as in right now or later this afternoon, surgery for a brain aneurysm. Lickliter had been suffering headaches and went to doctor, which led to this discovery and near immediate operation.

I may have said this before, but I’m really close to Todd’s niece and nephew, so no link and still only sketchy details provided by the niece’s boyfriend (a former collete teammate and roommate of mine). So, consider this breaking news exclusive to this message board. I’ll pass along any more details I find and I’m sure news of this will break soon via more conventional outlets.

Iowa plays today at 4 p.m., so I’ll be intrigued to hear what is announced then.

Please keep his family in your thoughts.

Gee, that is terrible news. My thoughts and prayers are with him.black rugs
Car Hire Rhodes Airport

That is terrible news, hopefully good that they caught it when they did.

Iowa basketball sure has had a rough bit of luck lately. Hopefully Coach Lickliter’s surgery goes well and he has a speedy recovery.

Best wishes for a fast recovery for one of our Big Ten brethren! See you back on the sidelines soon coach.

Hang tough coach.

May God bless.

wow - hope he’s going to be alright. that’s scary stuff.

So far as I know, this is the only report that has any details … Iowa is only discussing surgery for an unspecified illness.

I wish Todd the best.

Any updates?

I hope everything turns out for the best.

But I have to say, am I the only one that feels a little uncomfortable that this information is being released publicly here? I realize that no one here is required to adhere to HIPPA laws and maybe my wife being a nurse as something to do about how I feel about this, but something doesn’t seem right.

[quote=“pmhewitt, post:11, topic:422”]I hope everything turns out for the best.

But I have to say, am I the only one that feels a little uncomfortable that this information is being released publicly here? I realize that no one here is required to adhere to HIPPA laws and maybe my wife being a nurse as something to do about how I feel about this, but something doesn’t seem right.[/quote]

Enh… he’s a public figure so I don’t really feel that strange about it since I assume it’s going to become public knowledge in the near future.

But I definitely know what you mean - it’s always a little strange hearing personal information about complete strangers in the news to me, and even sketchier when the details are coming from a source you can’t really prove to be trustworthy.

All for the good here though - reports on ESPN are that surgery went well (though they don’t give up what kind of surgery still) and he’s recovering in the hospital for another day or two. Very glad to hear that, wishing him a speedy recovery. And the Hawkeyes won today also, so hopefully that helps his recovery go a little easier. :slight_smile:

[quote="pmhewitt, post:11, topic:422"]I hope everything turns out for the best.

But I have to say, am I the only one that feels a little uncomfortable that this information is being released publicly here? I realize that no one here is required to adhere to HIPPA laws and maybe my wife being a nurse as something to do about how I feel about this, but something doesn’t seem right.[/quote]

Enh… he’s a public figure so I don’t really feel that strange about it since I assume it’s going to become public knowledge in the near future.

But I definitely know what you mean - it’s always a little strange hearing personal information about complete strangers in the news to me, and even sketchier when the details are coming from a source you can’t really prove to be trustworthy.

All for the good here though - reports on ESPN are that surgery went well (though they don’t give up what kind of surgery still) and he’s recovering in the hospital for another day or two. Very glad to hear that, wishing him a speedy recovery. And the Hawkeyes won today also, so hopefully that helps his recovery go a little easier. :slight_smile:

ESPN can’t report on the type of surgery, even if they knew. Releasing that info would be a violation.

Get well soon Coach Lickliter. Thoughts and prayers with him and his family.

ESPN can’t report on the type of surgery, even if they knew. Releasing that info would be a violation.

Violation of what?

Don’t think so. A HIPAA law violation occurs when health care providers, e.g. the hospital, releases info. It doesn’t cover third parties. I’m reasonably sure that If ESPN reports it, they’re not in violation but whomever told them might be (if it came from a health care provider).

So PSUQuaker didn’t break the law by posting the info here because he’s not a part of the health care system. Similarly, ESPN wouldn’t be in violation either.

Sorry for not checking in earlier and sorry this took a HIPAA/public figure tone.

Like I said, I’m very close to his niece and nephew…as in his niece is the longtime girlfriend of the best man in my wedding (whicn consequentially is why I actually cheer against Iowa most of the time, because she drives me nuts telling me how good they’re going to be).

So, I wasn’t really trying to post this as rumor mongering about his health, or spreading his personal business, I found out, knew that we all discuss Big Ten basketball here and posted it. And, like I inferred in the initial post, I ran a Google news search, checked Iowa boards, scanned a couple Iowa newspapers for a link before posting it. I figured the news was eventually going to come out anyway because, obviously, it had to…I mean he wasn’t going to coach the game from the OR. Also, I didn’t take into account, though I should have from my own soon-to-be former profession, that the truth wasn’t really going to come out as the reasons for his missing the game ranged from the flu to a simple procedure to something serious as people noted that Lickliter’s sons (one a walk-on and the other part of his staff) and wife weren’t in attendance. So, maybe I should have been vague in my opening post, instead of telling the truth in order to fall in line with what Gene Barta was going to tell the press. Oh well, you post, you learn.

But, fortunately, all looks good. As ESPN has reported, and as a text message from my best man said, all went well and hopefully Todd will be back on the bench soon…though no one I’ve talked to seems to know what the time table for that will be.

Lickliter speaks about his surgery