PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Time to start moving some games to Rec Hall

If I were Chambers I would do what I can to get some games scheduled at Rec Hall. Especially during winter break when students aren’t around. Make it an event. The fans and players would love it.

We have the Palestra on campus and it’s been abandoned. Why not create our own Big 5 type games at Penn State? Schedule Lasalle and St Joe’s and play them at Rec Hall.

I understand there are logistical and money issues that come into play, but in the long run, if you’re trying to create an exciting and unique environment, money isn’t going to be a problem.

I understand the Big Ten would never allow games to be played there, but I really believe bring that building back into the mix would be a hit during the nonconference part of the schedule.

I think everybody supports this idea on some level, as it has been talked about for years… but I also think the nostalgia would wear off quickly. And that the logistics of it might be far greater than most are imagining. But those last two parts are just a hunch.

If you play the right games, I think it works, and is a sustainable idea. If you play Binghamton and and Rider there, it will get old. You have to create decent matchups.

I think it would be a decent recruiting tool if done properly, the players today don’t know how much louder and intimate the gyms used to be. I think they would like it.

If it weren’t for the fact that Rec Hall is pretty much the same design as one of the most famous gyms in college basketball, I wouldn’t bring it up. I just think it’s a waste not to utilize it. Give our players and fans an experience like the old days.

I also think Chambers is the kind of guy that could get it to happen and make it work. Make it part of our bridge to being a player in the Philadelphia area which is already gaining momentum.

The arena isn’t supposed to have the bells and whistles of the BJC. The floor would have to to trucked across campus.

At Villanova you buy two seperate season tickets packages. Tickets to the Pavilion and tickets to Wells Fargo. You would sell the Rec Hall tickets in a separate package.

[quote=“ChambersEra, post:3, topic:2652”]If you play the right games, I think it works, and is a sustainable idea. If you play Binghamton and and Rider there, it will get old. You have to create decent matchups.

I think it would be a decent recruiting tool if done properly, the players today don’t know how much louder and intimate the gyms used to be. I think they would like it.

If it weren’t for the fact that Rec Hall is pretty much the same design as one of the most famous gyms in college basketball, I wouldn’t bring it up. I just think it’s a waste not to utilize it. Give our players and fans an experience like the old days.

I also think Chambers is the kind of guy that could get it to happen and make it work. Make it part of our bridge to being a player in the Philadelphia area which is already gaining momentum.[/quote]

DeChellis supposedly tried, but the higher-ups said no because it would end up costing too much money to get it done. That was the excuse the AD used when I was in school anyway.

Great idea. I think it would get the students interested.

The BJC is our home court now and has been for about 15 yrs. It’s time everybody accepts this fact. Scheduling games at Rec Hall is just another attempt to increase interest in the program in lieu of putting a good product on the floor.

Exactly. A game in Rec Hall should be nostalgia, not a marketing gimmick.

Doesn’t seem right to tell what few loyal season ticketholders we have that they now have to buy a separate package for Rec Hall games. Would we all even fit?

Playing games in Rec Hall is admitting defeat in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong, I love that place and slept in there for tickets when I was a student but that was then this is now.

The BJC is in fact our home court. But I think it’s probably the worst home court advantage in the Big Ten. The empty seats, aging ushers, the band that plays the PSU fight song when the other team runs onto the court, the closed concession stands, just the whole non-basketball feel to the place - all these things detract from the home court advantage. I’m hoping Pat can do something to juice up the atmosphere at the BJC.

[quote=“GoSpikes, post:9, topic:2652”]Doesn’t seem right to tell what few loyal season ticketholders we have that they now have to buy a separate package for Rec Hall games. Would we all even fit?

Playing games in Rec Hall is admitting defeat in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong, I love that place and slept in there for tickets when I was a student but that was then this is now.[/quote]

Agree on both points. It’s time people embraced the BJC already. Make it what we want it to be, instead of dwelling on all the things that it isn’t.

The bolded part is the key. The games during break are often woefully attended. There have been games where I would put the attendance (fannies in seats, not tickets sold) at well under 500.

Move those 500 people from the cavernous BJC to the intimate rec hall, and add another 500 to the crowd that would come for the gimmickiness, and you’ve gone from a terrible atmosphere to a kick ass atmosphere, especially with a row or two of Nittany Nation die-hards on the court-side bleachers.

This just makes too much sense to not be seriously considered, and eventually, actually pulled off.

If I were Chambers I would do what I can to get some games scheduled at Rec Hall. [b]Especially during winter break when students aren't around[/b]. Make it an event. The fans and players would love it.

The bolded part is the key. The games during break are often woefully attended. There have been games where I would put the attendance (fannies in seats, not tickets sold) at well under 500.

Move those 500 people from the cavernous BJC to the intimate rec hall, and add another 500 to the crowd that would come for the gimmickiness, and you’ve gone from a terrible atmosphere to a kick ass atmosphere, especially with a row or two of Nittany Nation die-hards on the court-side bleachers.

This just makes too much sense to not be seriously considered, and eventually, actually pulled off.

Check out the quality of competition for those those games you are referencing. When you schedule woeful competition, you get woeful crowds.

[quote="ChambersEra, post:1, topic:2652"]If I were Chambers I would do what I can to get some games scheduled at Rec Hall. [b]Especially during winter break when students aren't around[/b]. Make it an event. The fans and players would love it.[/quote]

Check out the quality of competition for those those games you are referencing. When you schedule woeful competition, you get woeful crowds.

18+ games are scheduled against one of the nation top basketball conference. Cupcakes home games are needed! Maybe that’s why most every top tier teams schedules them. If, we scheduled a super difficult OOC schedule…well we could be looking at some extremely poor won-loss records! I don’t this would be good for attendence.
Fans have to get away from the “every game should be a Super Bowl” type thinking!! The season is 30+ games long.

[quote="ChambersEra, post:1, topic:2652"]If I were Chambers I would do what I can to get some games scheduled at Rec Hall. [b]Especially during winter break when students aren't around[/b]. Make it an event. The fans and players would love it.[/quote]

18+ games are scheduled against one of the nation top basketball conference. Cupcakes home games are needed! Maybe that’s why most every top tier teams schedules them. If, we scheduled a super difficult OOC schedule…well we could be looking at some extremely poor won-loss records! I don’t this would be good for attendence.
Fans have to get away from the “every game should be a Super Bowl” type thinking!! The season is 30+ games long.

Nobody is saying EVERY OOC game has to be against a top 10 opponent, but if you’re going to do something special like move a game to rec hall you had probably better bring in a decent opponent as well. How about a Pitt or Villanova? An instate power that will bring some of their own fans.

Nobody is saying EVERY OOC game has to be against a top 10 opponent, but if you’re going to do something special like move a game to rec hall you had probably better bring in a decent opponent as well. How about a Pitt or Villanova? An instate power that will bring some of their own fans.

Now there’s your conundrum. If you are going to bring in Pitt or Nova, you want the game at the BJC where you can sell 12,000+ seats.

My opinion on the Rec Hall idea:

1. It can only happen at most once per year.
  2. It should only be scheduled during winter break.
  3. I think it should always be against Big 5 teams.
  4. We should play the same Big 5 teams in the Palestra in alternating years – also during winter break.

Exactly. For big games, you want them to be in the BJC, which has a decent atmosphere when it’s got a bunch of fans there.

The problem with winter break games against the likes of Maine is almost no fans show up. So move those games to Rec Hall which has a much better atmosphere with a few hundred fans in attendance than the BJC does.

I don’t see it as a conundrum because even a Pitt or Nova would struggle to bring in a few thousand during winter break. And a worse opponent would struggle to fill rec hall. So bring in a good team and fill rec hall anyways. hopefully.

This must be at least the 3rd thread on this exact subject. It keeps getting brought up without any sense that anyone who matters is actually even thinking about it. Its like arguing about who would win in a fight bewteen the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. Sure I’d like to see it but is never going to happen.