PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Tim Frazier's game last night

Led the team in assists (5) and rebounds (6), while scoring 11 points. His best game offensively against the best competition we’ve faced so far - I’d say that’s a good sign.

Unfortunately he also led the team in turnovers last night, but still had a positive A/T ratio in the end so you can’t be TOO upset with him about those. I think some of this was because he was so determined to be more aggressive last night - it was obvious Ed or somebody had been in his ear about really taking it to hoop when he could and he was drawing some fouls doing so after awhile.

I feel like these guys have really figured out how to play together the last few games as the entire team’s passing has greatly improved. There were a couple of plays last night where we were just swinging the ball so quickly we got wide open layups out of OSU’s rotations - Tim benefited from this several times.

I feel like he was put in a tough spot defensively - he was generally the guy that left Craft to double Sullinger and so it looked like he kept getting beaten on that kid’s shooting, but it was his assignment and if their 5th or 6th scoring option is the guy beating you all night you have to live with it sometimes. I wish we had forced him to take slightly tougher shots occasionally but with a team like OSU you have to give up something I guess. We’ll see if he shoots that well in our building. :smiley:

I get the feeling that next season he’ll take his game to the next level and be a consistent 10 ppg player.

[quote=“bballguy, post:2, topic:1792”]I get the feeling that next season he’ll take his game to the next level and be a consistent 10 ppg player. [/quote]He has no choice with Talor,Jeff,AJ,David leaving .

When the team was looking tentative during OSU’s run at the start of the second half, it was Frazier and not the seniors that seemed to put the team on his back and take charge. He still looks lost when he drives into the paint at times, is struggling with his shot, and is good for a couple of those “what were you thinking” turnovers, but he is really making some nice passes setting up other guys, plays solid on the ball d, rebounds well for a PG, and showed improvement finishing yesterday.

He is coming along as a player. He has adapted well to what he has to do this year.
Next year will be a whole new ball game. Let’s wait and see what his role becomes.

There’s one play that I remember from the first half. I think he crossed over went to the basket real quick, and layed it in. I was thinking where has that been all season. He is fast and athletic, I think there’s to potential for him to be great at attacking the basket and getting easy layups. Or at least penetrating and dishing it to other guys.

I don’t know how many times this season I’ve seen Frazier blow by his man, get into the paint, and then try to force a pass to someone else. I don’t know if he’ll develop into a great finisher at the rim, but if he could just develop a little bit of touch on some pull up shots in the paint he could easily score 10 ppg. He does a lot of things really well and could be really good the next 2.5 years if he finds a way to consistently score 10 points.

I thought the first 5-8 min of the 2nd-half showed alot from Frazier. He had 2 TO’s in that big OSU run but kept attacking, pushed the ball and got to the FT line and the rim. Made a nice pullup jumper in the lane and later a great drive and dish to Brooks for the slam. He’s so fast end-to-end with the ball, sometimes I have to wonder how good he’d be if Penn State had the ability to play a pressing up-tempo style. After playing as well as you can play w/out making a FG against Illinois, his first double-digit scoring game of the season against OSU is another encouraging sign.

I thought he played well offensively. I dont know if it was the gameplan or not but he kept helping on sulliger when he had no business leaving Craft that open. Very encouraged by his aggressiveness towards the hoop! Keep it up Tim!

I appreciated the offensive aggressiveness that Tim displayed during the OSU game. Do you think the recent success of Jermaine Marshall had any effect on Tim? Maybe wondering if he’d lose minutes to Jermaine if he didn’t score more caused him to be more aggressive?

I’d say without a doubt it was the gameplan. We have never doubled the post like that at any other time this year, and we were leaving their 5th best scoring option open by doing so, essentially saying “anybody but Sullinger and if you beat us you beat us”.

He even looked at Ed after every shot that Craft kid made as if to say “should I keep doing that?”, and Ed never told him to stop apparently - or even scolded him for leaving him to double team after many shots dropped. Props to the kid for hitting those shots, I wish we would have brought the double team from different places though to keep them guessing - becomes quite easy to pass out of a double team if you know where it’s coming everytime.

I was thinking the same thing… I noted the offense/defense substitutions with the 2 of them down the stretch at Illinois, and I wonder of that’s a case of “message received”

Really, it’s all good. Jermaine, keep pushing, man. The TEAM just gets better when that happpens.

I loved Tim’s offensive game plan. Timmy! became Tim vs OSU. Hopefully he keeps going to the rack cause we all know he can blow by anyone. I also liked the play when he was under the basket and Talor found him for another layup. Really nice to see the mid-range shot finally fall for him. Keep it up Tim!!!

[quote="LPcreation, post:9, topic:1792"]I thought he played well offensively. I dont know if it was the gameplan or not but he kept helping on sulliger when he had no business leaving Craft that open. Very encouraged by his aggressiveness towards the hoop! Keep it up Tim![/quote]

I’d say without a doubt it was the gameplan. We have never doubled the post like that at any other time this year, and we were leaving their 5th best scoring option open by doing so, essentially saying “anybody but Sullinger and if you beat us you beat us”.

He even looked at Ed after every shot that Craft kid made as if to say “should I keep doing that?”, and Ed never told him to stop apparently - or even scolded him for leaving him to double team after many shots dropped. Props to the kid for hitting those shots, I wish we would have brought the double team from different places though to keep them guessing - becomes quite easy to pass out of a double team if you know where it’s coming everytime.

It was. Here’s PSUSTRETCH’s tweet:

@PSUSTRETCH: Sullinger is so good, as we saw late, you have to pick one of them. Hence their #2. RT @phillies2128: Why keep doubling off of Craft.

Thought I wonder if Tim doubling down made that much of a difference. The few times I saw him double down (I wasn’t paying that close attention to him doubling down) he seemed to just sort hang around there, leaving Kraft wide open.

Frazier had by far his best game vs. OSU. For once he took the ball the whole way to the basket. The only really bad play was the lazy entry pass to Brooks that got picked off and turned into a 3pt shot at the other end. I might go as far as to call Frazier player of the game vs. OSU.

That said, I think you view PSU basketball through rose colored glasses. Frazier has no perimeter shot and he is small by B10 standards (even though he is incredibly quick). Next year will be absolutely horrible with PSU losing 4 senior starters and no marquis recruits to replace them. I’d be surprised if PSU wins more than 2-3 conference games next season. They could actually go winless.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:1, topic:1792”]Led the team in assists (5) and rebounds (6), while scoring 11 points. His best game offensively against the best competition we’ve faced so far - I’d say that’s a good sign.

Unfortunately he also led the team in turnovers last night, but still had a positive A/T ratio in the end so you can’t be TOO upset with him about those. I think some of this was because he was so determined to be more aggressive last night - it was obvious Ed or somebody had been in his ear about really taking it to hoop when he could and he was drawing some fouls doing so after awhile.

I feel like these guys have really figured out how to play together the last few games as the entire team’s passing has greatly improved. There were a couple of plays last night where we were just swinging the ball so quickly we got wide open layups out of OSU’s rotations - Tim benefited from this several times.

I feel like he was put in a tough spot defensively - he was generally the guy that left Craft to double Sullinger and so it looked like he kept getting beaten on that kid’s shooting, but it was his assignment and if their 5th or 6th scoring option is the guy beating you all night you have to live with it sometimes. I wish we had forced him to take slightly tougher shots occasionally but with a team like OSU you have to give up something I guess. We’ll see if he shoots that well in our building. :D[/quote]

That said, I think you view PSU basketball through rose colored glasses.

They’re actually blue and white tinted.

I agree with you Craftsy. As I was watching the game, I thought Frazier was definitely playing better than he had. He was a major spark when Battle wasn’t getting his points. The couple drives to the basket and nice dishes were great to see.

I am endeavoring to create a message board button that with one click can insert this statement in anyone’s post. Save us a lot of trouble. Greatest technological advance since the ignore button! Or at least since the server time got fixed.

That snark aside, next year has an awful 2002 feeling about it. Brandon Watkins was a very important part of that 2001 NCAA team, but he was lost without a surrounding cast. We’ve got to play great the rest of this year both for its own sake but also to give us a crack at Turner in Scranton and one or two more of the kinds of kids who could pull a Talor (or Michael Finley) and be way better than anyone expects them to be. That doesn’t help next year’s W-L, but it would get us back on the right trajectory.

I think we may be surprised with next years team. I think they aren’t going to be nearly as bad as most people think they are going to be. One thing for sure we don’t really know what we got since most of the guys we’ve never really seen play.

Sasa we’ve seen in spurts.
Graham nothing.
Freshmen how will they translate to Big 10.

We will see, but we know we have the PG locked down and we have a couple of options up front. Just hope we don’t see a lot of defections this off season.

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:18, topic:1792”]I think we may be surprised with next years team. I think they aren’t going to be nearly as bad as most people think they are going to be. One thing for sure we don’t really know what we got since most of the guys we’ve never really seen play.

Sasa we’ve seen in spurts.
Graham nothing.
Freshmen how will they translate to Big 10.

We will see, but we know we have the PG locked down and we have a couple of options up front. Just hope we don’t see a lot of defections this off season.[/quote]I really need some of what you are drinking :wink: Next year’s team has a chance to be the worst one yet for Ed. I’m just going off of what this team is losing, what is coming back, and the new recruits coming in. Trust me JJ I hope you are right but just don’t see it happening

The fact that there are going to be a lot of unproven players can be taken two ways, or a mixture of both:

1. Plenty of potential - this not disputable, we haven’t seen what these guys can do with major minutes
  2. Lots of Inexperience - Playing a B10 season with 4 starters that have little to no experience is not exactly desirable. The fifth starter (Frazier) also needs to continue to develop. He has shown strides, but still needs to improve his shooting ability (at least mid-range).

I think the inexperience factor weighs in a lot more, especially when the recruits aren’t exactly McDonald’s All-Americans.