PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Tim Doyle...yea or nay?

He’s a strange combo of Bill Raftery and Dennis Miller with a painful hint of Dick Vitale. Yet he’s growing on me.

Do not like.

If loving Tim Doyle is wrong, then I want to be right.

Can’t stand Doyle. The only thing Doyle and Raftery have in common is they’re both male. Doyle’s a hack, just a big unfunny goof who I can’t take serious at all. He called the Penn State/Purdue game and was just plain awful.

Raftery’s one of the best and probably my favorite analyst in the game. Insightful and clever with unmatchable catch phrases. This March will make 10 years since Raftery last said: “And Verne Lundquist, Penn State goes…MANTOMAN!”

[quote=“vslice02, post:4, topic:1930”]Can’t stand Doyle. The only thing Doyle and Raftery have in common is they’re both male. Doyle’s a hack, just a big unfunny goof who I can’t take serious at all. He called the Penn State/Purdue game and was just plain awful.

Raftery’s one of the best and probably my favorite analyst in the game. Insightful and clever with unmatchable catch phrases. This March will make 10 years since Raftery last said: “And Verne Lundquist, Penn State goes…MANTOMAN!”[/quote]
Actually Tim Doyle is a little like Raftery. That Butterfly bit with Morriss of Michigan I can hear Raf say. Doyle needs more time but I think B10 Net may have found their Dickie V.

Raftery is the best, I really look forward to the NCAA’s. My wife even likes to listen to him call games.

Tim’s OK by me. I’d rather hear him call a BT game than Tom Hamilton. He gets on my nerves.

Couldn’t stand Tim last year. Love him now. A lot.

I mostly like him. He’s pretty knowledgeable, does his homework, and knows the players & league well.

I don’t like the forced nickname stuff though.

I used to hate him, but I’ve grown to like him recently. Guess he figured he had to start acting like a character when you share analysts duties with a smooth criminal like Jim Jackson. Doyle’s recent mustache really has to go though, that thing is hideous.

He loves Battle, so he can do no wrong with me. He takes chances too. He’s opinionated, which I like. I don’t like Dakich.

;D

I love TD.

By in large I like him. He can be a little frivolous and light hearted which in the world of everyone else acting like sports is a life or death situation can be a breath of fresh air. A big improvement over Dakich who had that life and death mentality and could be downright brutal, as I felt was the case in his comments about Talor.

[quote=“TomF, post:8, topic:1930”]I mostly like him. He’s pretty knowledgeable, does his homework, and knows the players & league well.

I don’t like the forced nickname stuff though.[/quote]

Can’t stand Tim Doyle. Everything he does sounds forced. He tries to throw so many triflent expressions around to try to get one to stick, it’s just unnerving to listen to. His schtick is just plastic, it’s generic. He’s trying to get a “diaper dandy” type of cliche going, but it’s so see-through that he’s ONLY trying to do that. The catch phrases are unimaginative. I am honestly expecting him to say “boom goes the dynomite”.

Gus Johnson is by far the class of the commentators to this point. BTW… is Gus’s the one doing the commentating in the games during those Buffalo Wild Wing commercials where the sprinklers are sending it into overtime (can’t stand those commercials).

Kid, I think if Bin Laden said nice things about Battle, you’d start wearing a towel on your head. :-X

[quote="kidcoyote, post:10, topic:1930"][b]He loves Battle, so he can do no wrong with me.[/b] He takes chances too. He's opinionated, which I like. I don't like Dakich.[/quote]

Kid, I think if Bin Laden said nice things about Battle, you’d start wearing a towel on your head. :-X

;D

We’ve had a lot of “post of the year” mentions on this board recently. This one is up there with the rest. Nice Skeeza.

Timmy Doyle doesn’t bother me. I’m all for adding some flava flav to the telecast.

Raftery and Gus Johnson are in a class by themselves. Still have a vivid memory of the night at the fraternity house back in January, 1988 while watching Providence/Pitt…“SEND IT IN JEROME” sent shock waves through the house.

Like Doyle a lot.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:13, topic:1930”]Can’t stand Tim Doyle. Everything he does sounds forced. He tries to throw so many triflent expressions around to try to get one to stick, it’s just unnerving to listen to. His schtick is just plastic, it’s generic. He’s trying to get a “diaper dandy” type of cliche going, but it’s so see-through that he’s ONLY trying to do that. The catch phrases are unimaginative. I am honestly expecting him to say “boom goes the dynomite”.

Gus Johnson is by far the class of the commentators to this point. BTW… is Gus’s the one doing the commentating in the games during those Buffalo Wild Wing commercials where the sprinklers are sending it into overtime (can’t stand those commercials).[/quote]

Yes it’s Gus.

By the way, if you are a Gus Johnson fan (and who isn’t - thank you NY Knicks for another screwup), you’ll just love the

Gus Johnson Soundboard

Anyone up for making a Tim Doyle Soundboard?

[quote="Skeeza, post:13, topic:1930"]Can't stand Tim Doyle. Everything he does sounds forced. He tries to throw so many triflent expressions around to try to get one to stick, it's just unnerving to listen to. His schtick is just plastic, it's generic. He's trying to get a "diaper dandy" type of cliche going, but it's so see-through that he's ONLY trying to do that. The catch phrases are unimaginative. I am honestly expecting him to say "boom goes the dynomite".

Gus Johnson is by far the class of the commentators to this point. BTW… is Gus’s the one doing the commentating in the games during those Buffalo Wild Wing commercials where the sprinklers are sending it into overtime (can’t stand those commercials).[/quote]

From the Michigan game it would be Butterfly, Butterfly, Butterfly …

Yes it’s Gus.

By the way, if you are a Gus Johnson fan (and who isn’t - thank you NY Knicks for another screwup), you’ll just love the

Gus Johnson Soundboard

Anyone up for making a Tim Doyle Soundboard?

[quote="kidcoyote, post:10, topic:1930"][b]He loves Battle, so he can do no wrong with me.[/b] He takes chances too. He's opinionated, which I like. I don't like Dakich.[/quote]

Into insulting? How about letting the board know the definition of “triflent?” Remember the comedian Norm Crosby?

Can't stand Tim Doyle. Everything he does sounds forced. He tries to throw so many [b]triflent [/b]expressions around to try to get one to stick, it's just unnerving to listen to. His schtick is just plastic, it's generic. He's trying to get a "diaper dandy" type of cliche going, but it's so see-through that he's ONLY trying to do that. The catch phrases are unimaginative. I am honestly expecting him to say "boom goes the dynomite".

Gus Johnson is by far the class of the commentators to this point. BTW… is Gus’s the one doing the commentating in the games during those Buffalo Wild Wing commercials where the sprinklers are sending it into overtime (can’t stand those commercials).

It’s funny, I was just thinking about TD the other day and how I think I like him…but it seems like I shouldn’t.

Judging by the responses in this thread, he is doing something right. People either really like him or really don’t. That seems to be the way to make it in today’s broadcasting world.