PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Tied for fourth in the Big Ten

Only Wisconsin (beat them), Purdue (should have beat them), and OSU (should have beat them) are in front of us. We are competitive with everyone in the league right now.

How many of us thought, after the loss to Maine, that we’d beat three top 25 teams in January? I sure didn’t.

I thought Ed was done after Maine. That shows what I know. ;D

All I know is that I’m loving this.

Yep, and you had the “true” basketball fans over on the FOS board calling for ED to be fired mid-season. I really can’t blame them after the Maine and Maryland games though, we looked totally pathetic and inept.

I too was one that thought that was it for Ed. But, obviously he and the staff have done a good job. I wish he would give some guys breaks now and again, but, hey it is working. I think more than anything the seniors looked in the mirror and at each other and decided they were not going to end their college careers quietly. Kudos to them for picking themselves up to this point and to what they may yet accomplish.

Oh I wanted ED out after this season as well. I was referring to letting him go before conference play started (mid-season). Who knows if we’d be playing like this if that had happened.

One rotten Ted Hillary call away from being tied for 2nd with Purdue at 6-3. Just W :o W

NittanyIllini, I know it is small of me to dwell on something that is over and done with, but that Purdue call still makes me sick. I hope the B10 issued him a warning for changing the outcome of a game . I would hope league policy is to issue a warning and put said official on a probation of sorts. One more and suffer suspension and/or termination. PSU should also have received an apology from the league and a personal apology from the official. Upward and onward, the boys are making some noise. Next up…your beloved Illini!

I’m with you, I know I’ll be tossing and turning for a long time if that win winds up haunting this season. I’m a worrier, so it’s all I can focus on as the weeks to the season go by and the dream gets closer and closer. Hopefully everyone else has put it behind them, especially the players. That was brutal.

There was an out of bounds call on Jackson yesterday that was even worse. Two Wisky defenders between Jackson and the end line, both of them had their hands on the ball and the call went against Jackson. DJ never got his hands above his waist, not even close. I saw it live and then watched it several times on DVR. I can’t believe one of the other two refs did not correct the call. It didn’t cost a win so no one will remember it, but it is hard to believe they can miss something so obvious.

Can someone explain the rule on traveling that burned us at the end when DJ and someone else on our side (already forget who) were fighting over the same rebound? I did not think DJ even had possession.

I’m guessing that you’re watching the bigtennetwork replay right now (since that play just happened on the replay).

No help on the rule though.

[quote="tjb, post:9, topic:1857"]Can someone explain the rule on traveling that burned us at the end when DJ and someone else on our side (already forget who) were fighting over the same rebound? I did not think DJ even had possession.[/quote]

I’m guessing that you’re watching the bigtennetwork replay right now (since that play just happened on the replay).

No, although my daughter just turned the TV on a while ago and we saw that it was on. I actually watched the second half again last night when the board discussion died down. I can’t get enough right now :).

I thought DJ simply tripped on Brooks’ (?) leg on his dismount and took a couple steps.

[quote="tjb, post:9, topic:1857"]Can someone explain the rule on traveling that burned us at the end when DJ and someone else on our side (already forget who) were fighting over the same rebound? I did not think DJ even had possession.[/quote]

No, although my daughter just turned the TV on a while ago and we saw that it was on. I actually watched the second half again last night when the board discussion died down. I can’t get enough right now :).

I missed the original playing. Woke up at 2 am and the tv was still on, just so happened the game was on BigTenNet.

[quote="mhenry41, post:6, topic:1857"]NittanyIllini, I know it is small of me to dwell on something that is over and done with, but that Purdue call still makes me sick. I hope the B10 issued him a warning for changing the outcome of a game . I would hope league policy is to issue a warning and put said official on a probation of sorts. One more and suffer suspension and/or termination. PSU should also have received an apology from the league and a personal apology from the official. Upward and onward, the boys are making some noise. Next up....your beloved Illini![/quote]

I’m with you, I know I’ll be tossing and turning for a long time if that win winds up haunting this season. I’m a worrier, so it’s all I can focus on as the weeks to the season go by and the dream gets closer and closer. Hopefully everyone else has put it behind them, especially the players. That was brutal.

Being a coach, I teach my players to put stuff like this behind them and move on, since there’s nothing they can do about it. Yet, this call also is sticking with me for some reason. Maybe because PSU really doesn’t get any credit for “beating” Purdue at Mackey…a certain bubble-bouncer into the tournament at this point.

I just hope on Selection Sunday, there is someone from The Big Ten in the room that can remind the folks of what occurred in this game. The committee looks for teams who they feel can compete with the big boys. PSU more than fits that bill after going 3-2 (4-1) vs their past five Top 25 opponents, losing those two on the road and practically on the last possession of the game.

Still a long way to go, but I like what I am seeing from this team.

As for the other two calls in question on this thread…player or players fall down with the ball in their possession, it is a walk. And DJ never touched that ball.

I see that it is hardening into legend (and soon “fact”) that that was a bad call at Purdue. That’s certainly the way I saw it on the replay I saw during the game, but I thought Lar looked at it less passionately from a couple different views and thought it could go either way. Just pointing that out.

I think it has been woven the Penn State Lore already just as much as the Bartram call.

I sometimes think Lar just likes being Mr. Sensible about everything - he’ll go the extra step in the other direction to make sure he’s not even appearing to be a homer. I can’t see him ever coming out and saying a call was blown if there’s even a slight bit of doubt from the other team’s point of view - but this is a no-question blown call.

I think it’s our duty as fans to make sure this becomes a well-known thing around the country, just in case it gets a little bit close in the selection room when the time comes.

[quote author=Craftsy21 link=topic=1893.msg44139#msg44139 date=1296418627]

I think it's our duty as fans to make sure this becomes a well-known thing around the country
This forum = the country. Nice. TJB for president!

Our visits since the Purdue game:

:slight_smile:

Gotta work on those folks in New Mexico, Wyoming and South Dakota