PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Tied for 4th

If we beat Minnehaha we finish TIED for 4th. NOT BAD…considering we played the toughest BigTen101010 schedule!!

After the Maine game, I thought we might only win one or two games in the Big Ten this year. With a couple breaks we could be looking for our 10th or 11th win this year. Jeff’s shoulder injury probably cost us at least one win.

With the transfers and Sasa’s injury we basically played with 6, maybe 7 guys all year. IMO they played hard and did their best versus a tough schedule usually in front of a mostly-empty arena. Some bad losses but also some good wins. No matter how the rest of the season goes, these guys get props from me.

They did it! Tied 4th. Just like two years ago…

After tie-breakers, where are we? What’s our seed for the tournament?

6th, thanks to MSU’s loss to Iowa.

[quote="mjg, post:5, topic:2056"]After tie-breakers, where are we? What's our seed for the tournament?[/quote]

6th, thanks to MSU’s loss to Iowa.

Thanks. These tiebreakers are too complicated for my patience.

Don’t forget Buie’s suspension.

Looks like Wisky will be #3 seed. Diebler picking up where he left off, and since the start of the PSU game, he is 16-19 from 3.

Everything is following right for PSU! Wisky is very beatable!! Just guard Markerville!! :wink:

You mean Nankevil. Don’t forget about Leuer, Taylor, Gasser, and the Redhead.

[quote="Speed, post:3, topic:2056"]With the transfers and Sasa's injury we basically played with 6, maybe 7 guys all year. IMO they played hard and did their best versus a tough schedule usually in front of a mostly-empty arena. Some bad losses but also some good wins. No matter how the rest of the season goes, these guys get props from me.[/quote] Don't forget Buie's suspension.

I think we got better without Buie. I don’t know if he took some focus from Talor, or Talor tried to feed the ball to him too much, but I really think they clicked better without him. That is not a put down of Buie, it just is an observation. Actually, I hope wherever he goes next year he has success-if at the end of his career he becomes 1/2 the player Talor is right now, he will have success.

Everything is following right for PSU! Wisky is very beatable!! Just guard Markerville!! ;)
You mean Nankevil. Don't forget about Leuer, Taylor, Gasser, and the Redhead.

Carrot top sucks.

Would the seeding of the four teams tied for 4th place be any different if the tiebreakers procedures in place two seasons ago were applied to this season?

Under the old tiebreaker procedure, we would have been the 7 seed instead of the 6.

Would the seeding of the four teams tied for 4th place be any different if the tiebreakers procedures in place two seasons ago were applied to this season?

Under the old tiebreaker procedure, we would have been the 7 seed instead of the 6.

And how about MSU? Who would have been the 6 seed?

I took a closer look at these teams to try to gauge some of the differences between how these teams arrived at this point, in a 4-team tie for 4th place.

I did a comparison between these 4 teams by using 3 methods of comparison that could be used as a tiebreaker procedure.

1. I took a look at the record of each of these 4 team against one another this season.

Michigan was 4-1 vs Illinois, MSU, and PSU.
Illinois was 3-2 vs Michigan, MSU, and PSU.
Penn St was 2-4 vs Michigan, MSU, and Illinois.
Michigan St was 2-4 vs Michigan, PSU, and Illinois.

So if this method were used, Michigan and Illinois would get the bye.

1. I took a look at how many road wins each of these 4 teams in BigTen play.

Michigan had 4 BigTen road wins.
Penn St had 3 BigTen road wins.
Illinois had 2 BigTen road wins.
Michigan St had 2 BigTen road wins.

So if this method were used, Michigan and Penn St would get the bye.

1. I took a look at how many BigTen games went to overtime to try to calculate the amount of regulation wins these teams had.

Michigan St had 3 BigTen games go to overtime, and they won all 3 of them. So MSU had 6 regulation wins.
Michigan had 1 BigTen game go to overtime, and they won it. So Michigan has 8 regulation wins.
Penn St didn’t have any BigTen games go to overtime. Penn St has 9 regulation wins
Illinois didn’t have any BigTen games go to overtime. Illinois has 9 regulation wins.

So if this method were used, Penn St and Illinois would get the bye.

I know these aren’t the standard tiebreaking procedues, but in the spirit of March Madness I thought it would be a little fun to compare and contrast these teams. All 4 teams had good seasons, and each will try to do well in the conference tournament. On any given day, each of these 4 teams could beat the other one. That’s why I love the BigTen because every game matters.

[quote="PSUChamp08, post:14, topic:2056"]Would the seeding of the four teams tied for 4th place be any different if the tiebreakers procedures in place two seasons ago were applied to this season?[/quote]

And how about MSU? Who would have been the 6 seed?

We would have swapped places with MSU. They would be 6th, we would be 7th.