PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Three way tie for fourth in the Big Ten right now

Sure didn’t see that coming after the Maine game.

By the way, did anyone else see MSU or ILL going 8-8 this year? Wow! What a league.

I just played out the rest of the Big Ten schedule, and I think there is a good shot we see a 4 way tie for 4th in the end. Illinois looks like a lock to go 9-9, Michigan will go 9-9 if they can beat MSU at home, we go 9-9 if we split the last two, and MSU also likely goes 9-9 if they lose at Michigan. In that 4 way tie, we’d likely end up with the 6th seed and a game against likely 11 seed Indiana.

In a four way tie at 9-9, we wind up 6th if we beat Ohio State, 7th if we beat Minn.

[quote="frats, post:2, topic:2010"]I just played out the rest of the Big Ten schedule, and I think there is a good shot we see a 4 way tie for 4th in the end. Illinois looks like a lock to go 9-9, Michigan will go 9-9 if they can beat MSU at home, we go 9-9 if we split the last two, and MSU also likely goes 9-9 if they lose at Michigan. In that 4 way tie, we'd likely end up with the 6th seed and a game against likely 11 seed Indiana.[/quote]

In a four way tie at 9-9, we wind up 6th if we beat Ohio State, 7th if we beat Minn.

How would you have us finishing 7th? I’d have it coming down to us and Michigan St for the 6th spot, and even if it’s Minny that we beat, I think that we’d win out on the tiebreaker by having a better record over Iowa.

In 2008-09, Penn State won at home vs. ranked Illinois, then went on the road and lost to a struggling Iowa team.

PSU finishes with ranked OSU at home, and goes on the road to finish the season vs. a struggling Minnesota team.

[quote="frats, post:2, topic:2010"]I just played out the rest of the Big Ten schedule, and I think there is a good shot we see a 4 way tie for 4th in the end. Illinois looks like a lock to go 9-9, Michigan will go 9-9 if they can beat MSU at home, we go 9-9 if we split the last two, and MSU also likely goes 9-9 if they lose at Michigan. In that 4 way tie, we'd likely end up with the 6th seed and a game against likely 11 seed Indiana.[/quote]

How would you have us finishing 7th? I’d have it coming down to us and Michigan St for the 6th spot, and even if it’s Minny that we beat, I think that we’d win out on the tiebreaker by having a better record over Iowa.

Because of our record against Ohio State.

If we beat Ohio State, our 1-1 tops MSU’s 0-1. If we lose to Ohio State, MSU’s 0-1 tops our 0-2.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:6, topic:2010”]Because of our record against Ohio State.

If we beat Ohio State, our 1-1 tops MSU’s 0-1. If we lose to Ohio State, MSU’s 0-1 tops our 0-2.[/quote]

I don’t believe that’s the case. The tiebreakers are based upon winning percentage, not record. So 0-1 is treated the same at 0-2 when it comes down to tiebreakers.

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/110410aae.html

[quote="UncleLar, post:6, topic:2010"]Because of our record against Ohio State.

If we beat Ohio State, our 1-1 tops MSU’s 0-1. If we lose to Ohio State, MSU’s 0-1 tops our 0-2.[/quote]

I don’t believe that’s the case. The tiebreakers are based upon winning percentage, not record. So 0-1 is treated the same at 0-2 when it comes down to tiebreakers.

Nice pickup. I thought that was a change from past years but I just looked it up and it was the same last year.

Nice pickup. I thought that was a change from past years but I just looked it up and it was the same last year.

FTR - It apparently changed in either 2009 or 2010. My guess would be 2010, since I probably didn’t pay any attention to it last year and almost assuredly did in 2009. I found a listing of the tiebreakers for 2008, and they say that 0-1 is better than 0-2.

FTR - It apparently changed in either 2009 or 2010. My guess would be 2010, since I probably didn’t pay any attention to it last year and almost assuredly did in 2009. I found a listing of the tiebreakers for 2008, and they say that 0-1 is better than 0-2.

I’m wrong again. It changed in 2009.

Tie-Breaking Procedures Amended for 2009: The Big Ten’s tie-breaking procedure to determine tournament seeds has been amended for 2009. In the past when comparing head-to-head records or records against a group of teams, a 2-0 record was better than a 1-0 record and an 0-1 record was better than a [sic] 1-0 record. The new tie-breaking procedure states that the higher winning percentage shall prevail when breaking ties, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal. So if two teams are tied, and one is 2-0 against the Big Ten champion and the other is 1-0 against the same team, those records will now be considered equal and the conference office will move to the next tie-breaker

MSU looked bad today. Best thing for PSU is to somehow get MSU or Illinois in the quarters. A win against one of them could put PSU in over that respective team how bad they have played the last half of the season. Just don’t want to see PSU get OSU/Wiscy/Purdue in the quarters.

Looks like 7 teams in the hunt for ____ # of bids. Should be fun.

If I hear Minnesota mentioned as having ANY consideration I am going to get sick!

[quote=“tundra, post:12, topic:2010”]Looks like 7 teams in the hunt for ____ # of bids. Should be fun.

If I hear Minnesota mentioned as having ANY consideration I am going to get sick! [/quote]
Then this should make you happy. I read somewhere today that Sampson is considering going pro after the season. Other than being 7’ tall and Ralph’s son what are his credentials. Plus isn’t he a junior, would seem that he’s maxing out his upside potential.

[quote=“tundra, post:12, topic:2010”]Looks like 7 teams in the hunt for ____ # of bids. Should be fun.

If I hear Minnesota mentioned as having ANY consideration I am going to get sick! [/quote]

If they win their last two and win a game or two in Indy, they’ll certainly be in the mix. However they’d have zero chance if the season ended today.