PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Thoughts on the Hartford game

Didn’t have time to go through the whole IGT, so I’ll apologize if these points have been raised elsewhere.

I liked the energy on the part of the team. It starts with Pat and cascades down to everyone else involved. I thought the team played hard. It looks like Pat’s credo is “dive for loose balls - don’t just try to pick them up.”

Also liked the uptempo play and ten man rotation.

If this game is any indication, I don’t think we’ll see too many members of the Talor Battle 40 minute ironman club.

I thought that even the pep band was a lot more upbeat and playing more often and at a higher tempo.

Way too early to evaluate the players, although I thought Trey Lewis played well for a freshman. Good to see Sasa back. It will take him a while to have full confidence in his knee.

Surprised that Pete Alexis didn’t play - anyone know if the decision has been made to redshirt him. He does have that Big Ten ready body.

Obviously, nice results on turnovers as a result of aggressive defense. Need to work on foul shooting.

As a lot of us have said before, what the team looks like now is fairly irrelevant - it’s what it looks like in February and March that matters.

Very disappointed in the crowd - attendance was listed at about 4,000. Considering that 107,000 were emerging from Beaver Stadium a five minute walk away and could have easily made it into the BJC, 4K is very disappointing. Just shows what a big job Pat has in front of him. But he’s part coach, part recruiter, part salesman and full time enthusiast so I think we’ve got the right guy for the job.

What I learned was that Tim Frazier might have 500 steals this year, Trey Lewis is gonna be a ballplayer, Cam Woodyard is gonna be knocking down 3s all year long, and that Pat Chambers is quite simply the man.

Trey Lewis is going to be our offense for about 5 minutes a game this year. Very small sample size, but I don’t think he’s a pure shooter. I think he’s just a scorer/playmaker who will get hot for spurts and pour in 5-10 points very quickly. The trap we set up with him and Ross Travis was also very effective. Tim playing safety wraps it all together very nicely.

Billy :o…First two shots, nothing but net, second two, air balls. He’s one of a kind.

I really enjoyed the hustle and effort on defense. Now on offense, we have some work to do. I can’t stand missed free throws and really thought we shot poorly. Shot selection was good, but we just missed them and hopefully they will start to fall as the year goes on.

It was great Cam made 4 threes, but he still shot 4-13 from the field.

About Pete not playing… yes he has the “Big Ten body” but maybe he isn’t good enough to be out there yet.

As Frazier goes, this team will go. If Frazier is having a bad night shooting, this team is going to have trouble scoring.

Thought Lewis looked much more comfortable out there vs. Hartford than vs. Slippery Rock. Excited to see how he progresses as the season goes along.

Biggest surprise was Woodyard. He was camping down in the right corner and Frazier would just dribble penetrate and kick out to Woodyard and there was NO hesitation in his shot. And he made a decent amount. He has definitely been given the green light to shoot.

I like the rotation and bench minutes also. This team is giving 100% pure effort while out on the court which has worn both teams PSU has played down in the 2nd half.

I have nothing against diving for balls. IT SHOWS HUSTLE. BUT, just a related point. When I coached HS age kids I noticed a huge problem that kids wanted to try to dribble loose balls before they had control. Of course, we ended up with about 25% of loose balls that we should have had. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I would say “JUST GRAB IT!” Even had to set up a practice drill…called “JUST GRAB IT.”

I was going to post my observations on the game, but, BSD summed it up pretty well:

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2011/11/13/2557835/penn-state-basketball-defeats-hartford#storyjump

…reading that BSD report…

Billy Oliver and Cam Woodyard look like completely different players, not unlike when Steve Urkel used one of his inventions to turn himself into Stefan Urquelle on Family Matters. Woodyard had a career best 14 points, 7 rebounds, 4 steals, and 4-for-7 from 3 point range, while Oliver nailed a trey and grabbed a few rebounds, and looked like a far more confident player than last year. This where the difference between Ed DeChellis' and Pat Chambers' coaching styles really begin to stick out.

Somebody explain to me the last line here. Billy took those same shots last year, but just didn’t make them. And Cam didn’t see the floor because he wasn’t good enough relative to the other options we had. But they would both be playing right now if Ed were still the coach, as far as I can tell. What does the difference in coaching styles have to do with any of this?

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:8, topic:2812”]…reading that BSD report…

Somebody explain to me the last line here. Billy took those same shots last year, but just didn’t make them. And Cam didn’t see the floor because he wasn’t good enough relative to the other options we had. But they would both be playing right now if Ed were still the coach, as far as I can tell. What does the difference in coaching styles have to do with any of this?[/quote]

I thought the same thing. It seemed like a cheap shot at Coach DeChellis. The only thing I can think of is that he is giving those two the offensive freedom that they didn’t get last year.

I’m guessing people are just trying to be positive on the year and new coach. Every review has pointed out the good things but has not put anything negative.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:8, topic:2812"]...reading that BSD report....

Somebody explain to me the last line here. Billy took those same shots last year, but just didn’t make them. And Cam didn’t see the floor because he wasn’t good enough relative to the other options we had. But they would both be playing right now if Ed were still the coach, as far as I can tell. What does the difference in coaching styles have to do with any of this?[/quote]

I thought the same thing. It seemed like a cheap shot at Coach DeChellis. The only thing I can think of is that he is giving those two the offensive freedom that they didn’t get last year.

I’m guessing people are just trying to be positive on the year and new coach. Every review has pointed out the good things but has not put anything negative.

I’ve mentioned this before but the thing that gets me is how everyone has fallen in love with the attitude scorecard and the hustle drills. It was very apparent in yesterday’s game how diving for loose balls has been ingrained in these kids. It was also very apparent in DeChellis’s first game. Everyone loved it then - right up to the point where Brandon Cameron dove for a loose ball and fouled the Georgetown player in the back court with 1.1 seconds remaining and PSU up by one (for newbies here, we lost the game when the G’town player sank both foul shots). The good news is that the worst that happened yesterday was, I believe, a travel call when two of our own wrestled each other for a ball.

Gosh…can we please get away from “DeChellis” talk. Good Gravy. … :frowning: Do you really miss him that much??? People are just trying to find positives (good hustle) in this years team.

And…bringing up the Cameron dive in a positive light is just plain old ________ :’(

I found myself watching Coach Chambers as much as the actual game. The change in styles and approach is night and day. It’s like taking a kid out of the Breakfast Club and putting him in Army Boot Camp. Not a criticism of either style, just an observation.

Interesting that whenever a PSU player comes out of the game (and that was happening every minute), the kid goes all the way down the line of players, coaches, managers and slaps their hand. Line of about 20 people deep.

It will be an interesting year. We’ll struggle to score points and we fouled a lot. This is about baby steps.

I noticed that, too, Spikes. I think it’s all part of Pat’s “We’re a team - everyone; the players, the redshirts, the walk-ons, the managers, etc.” That’s a good “esprit de corps” philosophy.

Here’s one other thing I noticed: When a player screws up, Pat often yanks him out of the game, chews his butt out for a few seconds and then shakes his hand and pats him on the back and offers some encouragement. Then the guy slaps all the hands up and down the bench. Also, the player knows that one screw up won’t relegate him to the bench for the rest of the half/game. With Pat’s up tempo and 10 deep rotation, they know they’ll be back in there.

I’m sure of one thing - Pat will not be “out-animated” by Bo Ryan or Thad Matta this year. Pat will be as active as those guys and he probably won’t sit down much this year. He’ll be on the refs and be talking to the radio guys, the time keeper, the assistants, the managers, and anyone else. It shouldn’t make a difference, but the refs pay attention to the coaches that are talking all the time.

I think we’ve seen Cam’s best game of the season. I don’t think it matters who the coach is, Cam’s just a pretty solid player who won’t screw up and he’ll give the starters a nice break without doing anything disastrous. I don’t anticipate a lot of scoring out of him.

I think Pat has had a huge influence on Billy. There is absolutely no hesitation with Billy like there was last year. I know the players are different and they have new roles, but Billy is just playing differently on O. Normally I’d say it’s just coincidence but I think it’s obvious to hear in Billy’s interviews how much confidence Chambers has instilled into him.

[quote="GoSpikes, post:12, topic:2812"]Interesting that whenever a PSU player comes out of the game (and that was happening every minute), the kid goes all the way down the line of players, coaches, managers and slaps their hand. Line of about 20 people deep.[/quote]

I noticed that, too, Spikes. I think it’s all part of Pat’s “We’re a team - everyone; the players, the redshirts, the walk-ons, the managers, etc.” That’s a good “esprit de corps” philosophy.

Here’s one other thing I noticed: When a player screws up, Pat often yanks him out of the game, chews his butt out for a few seconds and then shakes his hand and pats him on the back and offers some encouragement. Then the guy slaps all the hands up and down the bench. Also, the player knows that one screw up won’t relegate him to the bench for the rest of the half/game. With Pat’s up tempo and 10 deep rotation, they know they’ll be back in there.

I’m sure of one thing - Pat will not be “out-animated” by Bo Ryan or Thad Matta this year. Pat will be as active as those guys and he probably won’t sit down much this year. He’ll be on the refs and be talking to the radio guys, the time keeper, the assistants, the managers, and anyone else. It shouldn’t make a difference, but the refs pay attention to the coaches that are talking all the time.

Pat is especially hard on Tim. I recall at one point during the game, they were running a trap (which seems to work pretty well by the way) and Tim was out of position. Chambers turned around and yelled at everyone on the bench and pulled Tim aside after the next whistle. Tim is the leader of this team and he made it a point to show everyone else how he screwed up. It’s an interesting tactic but I think it will work in the long run.

I actually got a picture of that:

Just watched the replay. Nothing crazy to add. Not much to get excited about. Hartford is not very good and they played the day before.
The team really hustles. I think 2 of Graham’s misses were actually blocked. Still no “moving screens” violations!! But, we didn’t screen on the ball very much. We did get a couple of big guy fouls fighting for “back to the basket” position. Frazier and Lewis taking their man off the dribble was a large part of the offense.
Ed Hightower was subdued.

[quote=“tundra, post:17, topic:2812”]Just watched the replay. Nothing crazy to add. Not much to get excited about. Hartford is not very good and they played the day before.
The team really hustles. I think 2 of Graham’s misses were actually blocked. Still no “moving screens” violations!! But, we didn’t screen on the ball very much. We did get a couple of big guy fouls fighting for “back to the basket” position. Frazier and Lewis taking their man off the dribble was a large part of the offense.
Ed Hightower was subdued.[/quote]

Just wait till conference play starts.

[quote="tundra, post:17, topic:2812"]Just watched the replay. Nothing crazy to add. Not much to get excited about. Hartford is not very good and they played the day before. The team really hustles. I think 2 of Graham's misses were actually blocked. Still no "moving screens" violations!! But, we didn't screen on the ball very much. We did get a couple of big guy fouls fighting for "back to the basket" position. Frazier and Lewis taking their man off the dribble was a large part of the offense. [b]Ed Hightower was subdued[/b].[/quote]

There weren’t enough people in the stands for him to get into his antics.

[quote="tundra, post:17, topic:2812"]Just watched the replay. Nothing crazy to add. Not much to get excited about. Hartford is not very good and they played the day before. The team really hustles. I think 2 of Graham's misses were actually blocked. Still no "moving screens" violations!! But, we didn't screen on the ball very much. We did get a couple of big guy fouls fighting for "back to the basket" position. Frazier and Lewis taking their man off the dribble was a large part of the offense. [b]Ed Hightower was subdued[/b].[/quote]

There weren’t enough people in the stands for him to get into his antics.

And the 20 people watching on the internet and 30 people that were going to watch on tape delay… Just not worth get his heart rate up.