PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Thoughts on rotation and PT going into the season

Guard positions: 80 minutes. Potential players are Battle, Buie, and Frazier

1. Battle 36 minutes
  2. Buie & Frazier split the rest, let’s say 22 minutes a piece for sake of argument

Small Forward/3rd guard position: 40 minutes. Potential players are Buie (if Battle and Frazier in at the other spots), Marshall, Woodyard, Bowman, DJ, Oliver

1. If they play DJ or Oliver, more a ‘big’ lineup. Issue being is that without any depth at the 4/5 position, foul trouble could become an issue and this is the same line-up as last year that didn’t work.
  2. Woodyard probably the best fit to guard an opposing team swingman. Only guy on the roster that is a ‘typical’ type of small forward size.
  3. Buie/Marshall/Bowman give more of a 3 guard look. Issue with this is that I have not seen the interior post defense and rebounding ability out of Brooks and Jones to play only two frontcourt players. If going to run three guard line-up, better play an uptempo offense that Ed has been reluctant to goto for whatever reason.

4/5 positions: 80 minutes. Potential players are Jones, Graham, Oliver, DJ.

1. Gotta believe that Ed is hoping that DJ/Jones/Brooks essentially split these 80 minutes due to some improved, inspired senior year play.
  2. Can Oliver earn PT if one of these guys doesn’t perform. Does Oliver has the rebounding ability to play the 4 spot in a 3 guard rotation, as if 3 guards are in, the two frontcourt players have to be able to rebound well.
  3. I can’t believe Graham gets a whole lot of PT barring he is just a real diamond in the rough that Ed found or their are issues with the four guys with experience ahead of him.

Where does Jeff Brooks fall into you scenario?

At the 4/5 spot.

[quote="Donkey, post:2, topic:1406"]Where does Jeff Brooks fall into you scenario?[/quote]

At the 4/5 spot.

Brooks can also play the 3. I hope Brooks has the stamina this year. he showed flashes of brilliance. His consistency this year is one of many keys to the season. How many minutes per night do you guys think that we can expect out of Brooks?

I still don’t see Oliver as a guy who will play any 3. He really seems like a 4.

Agree. I’m really surprised every time I hear people talk about him as a possibility at the 3. I don’t think he sees a single minute there this season.

[quote="Donkey, post:2, topic:1406"]Where does Jeff Brooks fall into you scenario?[/quote]

At the 4/5 spot.

Brooks can also play the 3. I hope Brooks has the stamina this year. he showed flashes of brilliance. His consistency this year is one of many keys to the season. How many minutes per night do you guys think that we can expect out of Brooks?

Handle and shot are characteristics of a good 3, shoot or slash. Jeff’s a 4/5 to me. Oliver, more 3/4, better shot, maybe not a great slasher, but the shot gives him the edge there, IMO. Plus, Jeff has better ups, which theoretically should help in the paint at both ends.

If Ed sticks w/ the status quo, I think we see primarily an 8 man rotation of guys Ed trusts:

Battle
Frazier
DJ
Brooks
Jones

Buie
Woodyard
Oliver

However, if we do run and play more of a three guard lineup then I think he’s gonna need to get meaningful minutes out of Marshall and Bowman, but they’re young and I think it might take some time for them to adjust to the “speed” of the game.

[quote=“Finding Forrester, post:8, topic:1406”]If Ed sticks w/ the status quo, I think we see primarily an 8 man rotation of guys Ed trusts:

Battle
Frazier
DJ
Brooks
Jones

Buie
Woodyard
Oliver

However, if we do run and play more of a three guard lineup then I think he’s gonna need to get meaningful minutes out of Marshall and Bowman, but they’re young and I think it might take some time for them to adjust to the “speed” of the game.[/quote]

If this is our lineup I think this year is going to be LONG.

[quote=“Finding Forrester, post:8, topic:1406”]If Ed sticks w/ the status quo, I think we see primarily an 8 man rotation of guys Ed trusts:

Battle
Frazier
DJ
Brooks
Jones

Buie
Woodyard
Oliver

However, if we do run and play more of a three guard lineup then I think he’s gonna need to get meaningful minutes out of Marshall and Bowman, but they’re young and I think it might take some time for them to adjust to the “speed” of the game.[/quote]

That’s just the thing, outside of the 4 seniors and maybe Frazier, we have no idea who DeChellis “trusts”.

I know there might not be much PT available, but I’d be surprised if Marshall doesn’t get minutes. Just a hunch.

I would be surprised as well.

Gotta lean on djones for this kind of stuff. He’s going to practices and talking to people. But from what he’s been writing, and what Ed stated, quickness, no natural center, etc., plus the Sasa injury leaving a depleted front line, I don’t see how it’s Brooks, DJ and AJ in at once. If Graham’s not ready for prime time, that leaves one front line sub. 3G offense by default.

Dave Jones lives outside of Philly and works in Harrisburg. I can assure you that he doesn’t go to practice (in fact, he rarely goes to games). Does he have an insight into PSU hoops? Yes, he does. Certainly more so than probably any other writer who covers the team, but you might be giving him a little too much credit when it comes to this particular team. He might have been here for media day but I’m willing to bet that he hasn’t seen any of this team’s practices (especially since they’ve been practicing less than a week).

[quote="kidcoyote, post:13, topic:1406"]Gotta lean on djones for this kind of stuff. He's going to practices and talking to people. But from what he's been writing, and what Ed stated, quickness, no natural center, etc., plus the Sasa injury leaving a depleted front line, I don't see how it's Brooks, DJ and AJ in at once. If Graham's not ready for prime time, that leaves one front line sub. 3G offense by default.[/quote]

Dave Jones lives outside of Philly and works in Harrisburg. I can assure you that he doesn’t go to practice (in fact, he rarely goes to games). Does he have an insight into PSU hoops? Yes, he does. Certainly more so than probably any other writer who covers the team, but you might be giving him a little too much credit when it comes to this particular team. He might have been here for media day but I’m willing to bet that he hasn’t seen any of this team’s practices (especially since they’ve been practicing less than a week).

It’s the same shtick for Kid.

Djones said something he agreed with so for the last 2 days he’s brought up the things he said in that one article in about 30 different posts. makes you wonder about anything kid ever says, and the actual weight of whatever his sources actually are.

(I mean no disrespect to Djones by saying this, for the record)

Gotta lean on djones for this kind of stuff. He's going to practices and talking to people. But from what he's been writing, and what Ed stated, quickness, no natural center, etc., plus the Sasa injury leaving a depleted front line, I don't see how it's Brooks, DJ and AJ in at once. If Graham's not ready for prime time, that leaves one front line sub. 3G offense by default.

Have you talked to Dan Earl about guys’ shooting recently? Did you know that nobody could stop Taran driving in practice? That Tim F was working with Joe Crispin? That Taran is nothing like Talor? djones doesn’t post much, but yes, I respect his opinion, and he’s saying things I’ve known for awhile, like Taran’s ability to drive and finish, and liking the contact. I’ve seen him do that in 25+ games, and I know he’s a different kind of player from his brother. Since I can confirm part of what he says from my own “eyeballs”, I trust the rest of what he says, at least in this case. Might it be second hand, by phone call? Sure, but so what? He can be a little harsh sometimes, but to me, it’s usually dead on, and I often see the things the same way. I think he sees the big picture, like me ;).

[quote="kidcoyote, post:13, topic:1406"]Gotta lean on djones for this kind of stuff. He's going to practices and talking to people. But from what he's been writing, and what Ed stated, quickness, no natural center, etc., plus the Sasa injury leaving a depleted front line, I don't see how it's Brooks, DJ and AJ in at once. If Graham's not ready for prime time, that leaves one front line sub. 3G offense by default.[/quote]

Have you talked to Dan Earl about guys’ shooting recently? Did you know that nobody could stop Taran driving in practice? That Tim F was working with Joe Crispin? That Taran is nothing like Talor? djones doesn’t post much, but yes, I respect his opinion, and he’s saying things I’ve known for awhile, like Taran’s ability to drive and finish, and liking the contact. I’ve seen him do that in 25+ games, and I know he’s a different kind of player from his brother. Since I can confirm part of what he says from my own “eyeballs”, I trust the rest of what he says, at least in this case. Might it be second hand, by phone call? Sure, but so what? He can be a little harsh sometimes, but to me, it’s usually dead on, and I often see the things the same way. I think he sees the big picture, like me ;).

All of which has nothing to do with the fact that Dave Jones isn’t at practice. I don’t give a crap about how many times you’ve seen Buie and Battle. My post has nothing to do with them. I am simply alerting you to the fact, of which you are obviously unaware, that Dave doesn’t go to practice.

[quote="Finding Forrester, post:8, topic:1406"]If Ed sticks w/ the status quo, I think we see primarily an 8 man rotation of guys Ed trusts:

Battle
Frazier
DJ
Brooks
Jones

Buie
Woodyard
Oliver

If this is our lineup I think this year is going to be LONG.

And the following season will be even LONGER with basically 4 guys with any experience.

All of which has nothing to do with the fact that Dave Jones isn’t at practice. I don’t give a crap about how many times you’ve seen Buie and Battle. My post has nothing to do with them. I am simply alerting you to the fact, of which you are obviously unaware, that Dave doesn’t go to practice.

You only care about what you think you know. Stick to stats. He obviously knows what he’s talking about. You don’t.

You only care about what you think you know. Stick to stats. He obviously knows what he’s talking about. You don’t.

lol

let’s cool it with the personal attacks now kid, i thought you were crusading against those all of a sudden. you don’t want me to give you some negative karma do you?