This Year's Schedule

Personally, I think this is the best schedule we’ve had in years. Just curious to see how the distribution goes.

Of course its your poll, but I would have done a letter grading system so we get to see what everyone thinks in a bit more precise manner.

It would seem to me that there is too much possible overlap in these answers. Frankly I think it is too weak but is about as good as one could hope for with this coaching staff’s history.

Not a bad schedule overall given where Penn State is as a program. It should give us a chance to get into the NCAA tournament if we have a decent conference record, say 9-9 or 10-8. I would like to see one marquee team on the schedule, even if it’s a road game. Still, it’s a solid overall scheduling effort this year.

So PSU will have:
NW - W
@NW - L
Iowa - W
@Indiana -L
OSU - L
@OSU - L
Michigan - W
@Michigan - W
Minny - W
@Minny - L
Wisky - W
@Wisky - L
Illinois - L
@Illinois - L
Purdue - L
@Purdue - L
MSU - L
@MSU - L

That is a fairly moderate W/L prediction of 6-12. Factor in an upset or two as well as a let down or two. Either way you spin it, 6-8 wins seems to be the max amount of wins one can realistically put on PSU’s B10 season. Accompany that with an 8-3 OOC and I foresee a mediocre 15-14 type of season.

I think the BigTen12 schedules are set in 2 year cycles…so the schedule (teams played) will be the SAME as last year.

Correct. We’ll have Iowa at home and Indiana on the road.

:smiley: Oops. Well thats even worse for the B10 record since the two easiest teams on paper will only be played once. Looks like the new win total max is closer to 6 than 8.

[quote="tundra, post:6, topic:1261"]I think the BigTen12 schedules are set in 2 year cycles...................so the schedule (teams played) will be the [b]SAME[/b] as last year.[/quote] :D Oops. Well thats even worse for the B10 record since the two easiest teams on paper will only be played once. Looks like the new win total max is closer to 6 than 8.

I see (Brian Siegrest?) tweeted, or on NationBuilder, stated, “we put a lot of effort into getting marquee teams to come to State College. It’s harder than most realize.” Duh. IMO, PSU has to prove themselves as a legitimate team, capable of competing before teams go to SC. UConn or Syracuse or Pitt or Nova travelling to SC? Why would they do it? Attendance isn’t great, so the money would not be top dollar, PSU’s RPI hasn’t been good, so it doesn’t help, yada yada. Yes, the BJC is a nice facility, but there are lots of nice facilities. It’ll be a cold day in hell before a top notch team travels to PSU for an OOC game. Are these guys kidding? I mean, are they putting PSU on a level with those teams, and are surprised those teams won’t visit? The football teams coattails just ain’t that long. Get a grip. Get on the bus and go to Nova or Pitt or Syracuse. Prove yourself, win a game or two. Get an RPI under 100. Delusions of grandeur. You think Duquesne or Fairfield expect those 4 teams to travel to their venues? Puhlease. PSU would have more of a chance getting two 5 star recruits in the same season. My goodness.

I don’t think they are surprised at all. They’re probably just dealing with fans saying “How come Michigan can get good teams to visit. They hadn’t been to the NCAAs in a decade and don’t have a better record or team than PSU. It doesn’t make sense why they can play UConn and Duke and PSU can’t.” Or “why can Temple get Kansas or Villanova to visit when they’re only an A10 team. If PSU wants to be a top team, they need to get teams like that to visit”.

Plus there are no potential recruits in the State College area like there are in Philly, Detroit, etc

Doesn’t Kansas have the 2 Morris brothers from Philly…maybe that’s the reason they came to Temple. Plus I think they are close to another top Philly recruit.
Does this make me an “Apologist” ?? ??? :-[ :’(
…Help me…

Imagine how tough it is to convince 'nova that the bus ride is worth it.

This is a good point, but that makes the case that Ed should travel to Philly, Pitt, NYC. Boeheim’s been knocked for not travelling for OOC. But he can afford not to. Ed can’t. PSU could get a 'Cuse game there in a second. Not many teams want to go to Syracuse. Bad venue for opponents, and not a recruiting haven. Incredibly, last season, collegehoops.net had PSU ranked above The Orange pre-season. 10 weeks in, 'Cuse was ranked #1. Boeheim will play anybody if you visit him. Everybody knows it. He goes to MSG.

I think Ed’s been to Philly the past 3 years.

This is a good point, but that makes the case that Ed should travel to Philly, Pitt, NYC. Boeheim's been knocked for not travelling for OOC. But he can afford not to. Ed can't.

Exactly Ed is at least smarter than Jerry in that Philly is a major recruiting base.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:14, topic:1261"]This is a good point, but that makes the case that Ed should travel to Philly, Pitt, NYC. Boeheim's been knocked for not travelling for OOC. But he can afford not to. Ed can't.[/quote]

Exactly Ed is at least smarter than Jerry in that Philly is a major recruiting base.

Jerry played in Philly schools, Jerry had Philly schools play here, Jerry recruited the philly area…other than Ben, jerry just was not able to land any philly players

The best schedule in 3 or 4 years, maybe. but this is hardly a fantastic slate

[quote="laoDan, post:1, topic:1261"]Personally, I think this is the best schedule we've had in years. Just curious to see how the distribution goes.[/quote]

Could you please show what a fantastic slate for this team would look like?

[quote="laoDan, post:1, topic:1261"]Personally, I think this is the best schedule we've had in years. Just curious to see how the distribution goes.[/quote]

I’d say it’s the best since 2000-2001.