This season's NIT

Interesting comment from UNC head coach Roy Williams regarding his team’s lack of “success” this season.

I just didn’t do as good a job with this club this year as I needed to”, coach Roy Williams said Thursday, after the Tar Heels lost to Georgia Tech in their ACC tournament opener. “I couldn’t get the right buttons pushed,” said Williams, whose Tar Heels were ranked No. 6 early in the season but lost 10 of 12 at one point. “I didn’t know what those buttons were.”

When was the last time anyone ever heard Ed make a comment similar to this one?

Rather that looking inward to one’s self, maybe it is just easier to blame shots not falling, or bad luck, or a confluence of circumstances for why so many losses happened this season. Perhaps it is the “enlightenment” that Williams exhibited in his comments that led him to two NCAA Tournament titles in five years at UNC?

Interesting side note, Illinois will open at Stony Brook on Long Island, N.Y., a road trip made necessary by a scheduling conflict as Assembly Hall in Champaign. The arena is booked Wednesday night for a performance by Cirque du Soleil.

Wonder how Illini fans feel about that one, if there are many that even care?

Maybe he was just “unlucky.” :-\

[quote=“Spike the Kool-Aid, post:1, topic:979”]Interesting comment from UNC head coach Roy Williams regarding his team’s lack of “success” this season.

I just didn’t do as good a job with this club this year as I needed to”, coach Roy Williams said Thursday, after the Tar Heels lost to Georgia Tech in their ACC tournament opener. “I couldn’t get the right buttons pushed,” said Williams, whose Tar Heels were ranked No. 6 early in the season but lost 10 of 12 at one point. “I didn’t know what those buttons were.”

Rather that looking inward to one’s self, maybe it is just easier to blame shots not falling, or bad luck, or a confluence of circumstances for why so many losses happened this season. Perhaps it is the “enlightenment” that Williams exhibited in his comments that led him to two NCAA Tournament titles in five years at UNC?

Interesting side note, Illinois will open at Stony Brook on Long Island, N.Y., a road trip made necessary by a scheduling conflict as Assembly Hall in Champaign. The arena is booked Wednesday night for a performance by Cirque du Soleil.

[/quote]

I think they feel the same way about the whole NIT thing as we felt as a group on this very Monday last year. Totally spurned by the NCAA (though it really shouldn’t be a surprise if you look at the numbers…14 losses, 75 RPI, 11-14 vs Top 200). Right now the NIT is not really registering. By Wednesday it will and then you might have a few people upset they won’t get to attend the game.

If I’m a player, I actually would like the fact that as a team we’re getting a chance to get away from campus and really focus on a goal. If I’m Bruce Weber, I would schedule a trip into New York City when they get there on Tuesday and take them into Madison Square Garden. Tell the boys, this is what you are playing for. A chance to play on one of basketball’s greatest stages. Then humble them by taking them to Stony Brook and say, you first have to prove you belong on that stage.

[quote="Spike the Kool-Aid, post:1, topic:979"]Interesting comment from UNC head coach Roy Williams regarding his team's lack of "success" this season.

[/quote]

I think they feel the same way about the whole NIT thing as we felt as a group on this very Monday last year. Totally spurned by the NCAA (though it really shouldn’t be a surprise if you look at the numbers…14 losses, 75 RPI, 11-14 vs Top 200). Right now the NIT is not really registering. By Wednesday it will and then you might have a few people upset they won’t get to attend the game.

If I’m a player, I actually would like the fact that as a team we’re getting a chance to get away from campus and really focus on a goal. If I’m Bruce Weber, I would schedule a trip into New York City when they get there on Tuesday and take them into Madison Square Garden. Tell the boys, this is what you are playing for. A chance to play on one of basketball’s greatest stages. Then humble them by taking them to Stony Brook and say, you first have to prove you belong on that stage.

I like the motivational ideology Nitt. Perhaps you should take a spot on the PSU bench next season?

[quote=“Spike the Kool-Aid, post:1, topic:979”]Interesting comment from UNC head coach Roy Williams regarding his team’s lack of “success” this season.

I just didn’t do as good a job with this club this year as I needed to”, coach Roy Williams said Thursday, after the Tar Heels lost to Georgia Tech in their ACC tournament opener. “I couldn’t get the right buttons pushed,” said Williams, whose Tar Heels were ranked No. 6 early in the season but lost 10 of 12 at one point. “I didn’t know what those buttons were.”[/quote]

Stupid:

That is Roy William’s massive ego talking. They won two championships because he “pushed” the right buttons? BS! they had better players. Did he forget how to coach this year? No, his players were bad. The only thing he is pushing is crap and dummies like you buy into it.

[quote="Spike the Kool-Aid, post:1, topic:979"]Interesting comment from UNC head coach Roy Williams regarding his team's lack of "success" this season.

I just didn’t do as good a job with this club this year as I needed to”, coach Roy Williams said Thursday, after the Tar Heels lost to Georgia Tech in their ACC tournament opener. “I couldn’t get the right buttons pushed,” said Williams, whose Tar Heels were ranked No. 6 early in the season but lost 10 of 12 at one point. “I didn’t know what those buttons were.”[/quote]

Stupid:

That is Roy William’s massive ego talking. They won two championships because he “pushed” the right buttons? BS! they had better players. Did he forget how to coach this year? No, his players were bad. The only thing he is pushing is crap and dummies like you buy into it.

I’m with you pride. I like the idea of a coach taking responsibility, especially publicly - however, do you really want your coach to make a statement like, “I couldn’t get the right buttons pushed … I didn’t know what those buttons were.”

Makes him sound clueless, if you ask me.