PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

This guy would fit in well with some of you

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/24742/upset-fan-really-wants-change-at-arkansas

Sorry we don’t all have your Dalai Lama spiritual balance. Then again, most of us haven’t yet gotten frontal lobotomies.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:1, topic:2042"][url=http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/24742/upset-fan-really-wants-change-at-arkansas]http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/24742/upset-fan-really-wants-change-at-arkansas[/url][/quote]

Sorry we don’t all have your Dalai Lama spiritual balance. Then again, most of us haven’t yet gotten frontal lobotomies.

Ouch! This could get ugly.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:1, topic:2042"][url=http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/24742/upset-fan-really-wants-change-at-arkansas]http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/24742/upset-fan-really-wants-change-at-arkansas[/url][/quote]

You always seem to jump in after I respond, rather than after Craftsy disses the board from his lofty perch. Why is that?

Who is this directed at?

You always seem to jump in after I respond, rather than after Craftsy disses the board from his lofty perch. Why is that?

Maybe he instigates, you get sucked in, and I respond once the fight starts. Just coincidence I think. I didn’t even realize that was you responding.

Primarily? The types that have discussed taking out full page ads in the newspapers around here to get their point across, whether it’s a “no play list” or a “fire Ed and/or Curley” agenda.

But it’s not supposed to be taken so seriously (everybody feeling defensive tonight or what?) , just thought it was interesting to know that some people go through with these kinds of ideas even if he’s on his own to do it.

lol…this thread is about to get ugly but won’t be deleted since it’s not negative towards players.lol

I’m joking btw

[quote="noobd, post:5, topic:2042"]Who is this directed at?[/quote]

Primarily? The types that have discussed taking out full page ads in the newspapers around here to get their point across, whether it’s a “no play list” or a “fire Ed and/or Curley” agenda.

But it’s not supposed to be taken so seriously (everybody feeling defensive tonight or what?) , just thought it was interesting to know that some people go through with these kinds of ideas even if he’s on his own to do it.

the level of interest isn’t that high for this program.

If someone calls for the coaches head, that ad will be found in the classifieds.

[quote=“NGameday, post:8, topic:2042”]lol…this thread is about to get ugly but won’t be deleted since it’s not negative towards players.lol

I’m joking btw[/quote]

I love how everyone gets defensive or feels humiliated and lashes out, even though no one (practically speaking) knows who the hell they are! I’m like mjg (whose post I just scrolled up to review to see who posted it): I read the comments and largely don’t notice who posts them. Some of us I recognize immediately from style or substance. Tom, Lar, Cappy, kid and battles basically have recognizable styles and themes. (Quick, who thinks Penn State needs to be told that getting the ball inside is important?) The rest of us can blur together.

An interesting cognitive thing happens with our association with particular points of view. If you’re on the apologist side, you tend to think this board is overrun with tea partiers and that no one defends the program. If you’re a tea partier, you think this board is overrun with apologists who can’t see what is plainly in front of their (our :slight_smile: ) faces.

Both sides actually pretty much even out.

The difference between bashing each other and bashing players and coaches is that no one knows who we are. It’d be great if we were more civil to each other, but even if someone charges that kidcoyote is mean to grandmas, no one (with a few exceptions) will know who the heck that is.

[quote="NGameday, post:8, topic:2042"]lol..this thread is about to get ugly but won't be deleted since it's not negative towards players.lol

I’m joking btw[/quote]

I love how everyone gets defensive or feels humiliated and lashes out, even though no one (practically speaking) knows who the hell they are! I’m like mjg (whose post I just scrolled up to review to see who posted it): I read the comments and largely don’t notice who posts them. Some of us I recognize immediately from style or substance. Tom, Lar, Cappy, kid and battles basically have recognizable styles and themes. (Quick, who thinks Penn State needs to be told that getting the ball inside is important?) The rest of us can blur together.

An interesting cognitive thing happens with our association with particular points of view. If you’re on the apologist side, you tend to think this board is overrun with tea partiers and that no one defends the program. If you’re a tea partier, you think this board is overrun with apologists who can’t see what is plainly in front of their (our :slight_smile: ) faces.

The difference between bashing each other and bashing players and coaches is that no one knows who we are. It’d be great if we were more civil to each other, but even if someone charges that kidcoyote is mean to grandmas, no one (with a few exceptions) will know who the heck that is.

Lash at grandmas? What bothered me about this thread, and the tone of some in this game is that because OSU is #1 in the country, a blowout like this is acceptable. To me, it’s not. I feel like the season ticket holder who lashed out at Ed, and swore he’d be gone after this year. While no idea if this is right, I was pretty steamed after the effort in this game.

I actually don’t blame the loss on the players. You have to dance with who you brung, but the dance leader is clueless. I don’t always harp on getting it inside as much, and IMO, our better play this season was started when we started passing it to guys flashing to the foul line. We didn’t do that the other night. Ever wonder why we do so well vs. NU, really better than others in the league do? Because our offense is running on all cylinders. We shoot 3’s, dribble/drive, and pass it inside. But when the going gets tough, like vs. OSU, we get away from the inside(where we have the advantage on size) and revert to the other two, where they have the advantage due to their big guards. So, in response to the initial post in this thread, I’m actually more optimistic than this line of thinking. I think we can compete, and should have. NU was down 1 to OSU in Evanston, with the ball and 20 secs left, and turned it over. How can NU compete with OSU but can’t compete with us? IMO, because their offense has an inside and outside component, yet they don’t post up, it’s back door runs. It’s balanced, ours isn’t(except vs teams like NU). They’re not afraid of inside play vs OSU, but we are. Like them, we could do it on cuts without the ball, but we don’t. You just can’t dribble/drive vs big guards, and getting 3’s off is tough. You just have to pass, high post, low post, cutters. Any of those would have changed this game.

lol..this thread is about to get ugly but won't be deleted since it's not negative towards players.lol

I’m joking btw

You provided a perfect example of the interesting cognitive thing that happens with our association with particular points of view in choosing “tea partiers” rather than “progressives” or a more generic “hotheads” that leaves right and left out of it. :wink:

This coming from one of the guys who were so annoyed that they were called out in that cartoon someone created a few months ago.

[quote="NGameday, post:8, topic:2042"]lol..this thread is about to get ugly but won't be deleted since it's not negative towards players.lol

I’m joking btw[/quote]

You provided a perfect example of the interesting cognitive thing that happens with our association with particular points of view in choosing “tea partiers” rather than “progressives” or a more generic “hotheads” that leaves right and left out of it. :wink:

Hey, midcourt…I’m not going to get involved in this thread except to ask a question…I’m not familiar with the “NEW” nicknames…“tea partiers”, “progressives” and “hotheads”…what do they mean??
I am familiar with the old nicknames…“apologists”, “contraries” and “realists.”

Please advise.

“Tea partiers” for anger out of proportion, or no relation to, reality. I made this connection in another thread. I don’t like “haters”, although I realize the vernacular use of that is probably not as harsh as we old people hear it.

Thanks!

I’m joking btw[/quote]

Hey, midcourt…I’m not going to get involved in this thread except to ask a question…I’m not familiar with the “NEW” nicknames…“tea partiers”, “progressives” and “hotheads”…what do they mean??
I am familiar with the old nicknames…“apologists”, “contraries” and “realists.”

Please advise.

I am also familiar with “apologists”, “contraries” and “realists.” tjb introduced the new nickname “tea partiers.” My response was perhaps a poor attempt to question the use of a group, who depending on your particular point of view can be viewed either positively or negatively, rather than the accepted generic names the board is familiar with.

I have to agree w/ Tundra. ‘Tea Partier’ as defined by anger out of proportion to reality slips over into mainstream politics, which is not (at least I hope not) where this board should be headed. We have enough trouble talking civilly about something we all agree on: we want Penn State to win…

Cheers…