This evening's game

This was the first game I was able to see in person this season. Here are my observations on the game, understanding that this was an American team that is definitely in rebuilding mode:

1. Talor can score just about any time he wants to. I really expect him to play at a high level once the Big Ten season starts. He’ll be double teamed/box and one’d a lot, but he’ll just take that as a challenge.

2. Love to see Talor and Tim Frazier running the floor.

3. Really surprised at how good and how big Bill Edwards is. Good touch and handles the ball well. Always good to have a lefty who can hard to the hoop with his left hand.

4. Jeff Brooks - the potential is there. I thought he played pretty good defense tonight and had some nice blocks. He and DJ took turns guarding Vlad Moldoveanu, who was American’s only real player. Vlad hit some shots early on, and then the D turned up on him and he was pretty much neutralized after the first 10 minutes.

5. DJ - steady, solid and always gets a couple key offensive rebounds while playing the other team’s best forward. Can score when we need him to.

6. Chris Babb - another big game off the bench. He always seems to get 5 - 8 rebounds. Clearly, very confident shooting at home.

7. Tim Frazier - he and Talor are still getting used to each other. Very quick - learning to play D.

8. The Andrews - good workmanlike performance in the post. Glad to see both be a little more aggressive offensively.

9. Cam Woodyard - love his shot and touch, but its going to be tough for him to see playing time.

10. Sasa - has a nose for the hoop. Drives well and has a nice touch. I think he can be a contributor.

11. Billy Oliver - first time I saw him play. The little I saw, I liked.

12. Depth - no doubt this is Ed’s most talented and deepest team. He mentioned in his post game discussion with Steve and Dick that he now has the luxury of trying different combinations to see which one works best. (Dick mentioned this is what Tubby does at Minny).

13. Foul shooting - no reason this team shouldn’t shoot 75% or better in every game, which will be a definite strength over last year’s team when opponents would look to foul Mel.

14. Hustle - saw a lot of guys going to the floor for loose balls and saw a couple blocks; both positive.

15. Record - this team could easily be 10-2 or maybe even 11-1 right now with a couple more hoops against now ranked 21 Temple and a few more foul shots made against 9-1 VATECH and a few more hoops in Charleston.

16. Outlook - If we can win 8 games in the Big Ten this year, I’ll be happy. I do think we’ll be tough at home and may pull off a couple surprises (would love to beat old pal Bo and Tubby at the BJC this year).

4. Jeff Brooks - the potential is there. I thought he played pretty good defense tonight and had some nice blocks. He and DJ took turns guarding Vlad Moldoveanu, who was American’s only real player.

We’ve been saying that for a few years now. The last two games have not been good for Jeff IMO. His minutes are being reduced in favor of Edwards. He played more last night due to DJ having to sit out…

A lack of energy or enthusiasm combined with the lack of good decisions on the floor are killing him and this team. He did not seem engaged with the team last night. He was normally the last one up the court and was disinterested at times. Coaches comments about putting in the kids and seeing what we got was a direct result from Jeff’s play.

Thoughts?