PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

This DJones blog deserves its own thread!

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/03/talor_battle_has_penn_state_po.html

great stuff Djones!

How could anyone not love this kid?!?!?

I’d be surprised if I’m the only one that gets teary eyed when reading this.

Fantastic.

[quote=“noobd, post:3, topic:2121”]I’d be surprised if I’m the only one that gets teary eyed when reading this.

Fantastic.[/quote]

i had tears

I can honestly say that I have now officially enjoyed watching Talors 4 years more than any other player in my time following the program. The bet part is, it isn’t even because he’s the greatest player in school history…it’s because he is such a remarkably outstanding person! Congrats Talor YOU deserve everything you’re getting.

dj,

You captured this moment beautifully.

You know we as a group argue back and forth over anything and everything on this board. But we all should take a moment and read this story and agree that we have a very special basketball player in our midst. And honestly, this is why we are all here in the first place…for the love of Penn State basketball and its student athletes.

Great story.

I not admitting a thing…great article. Dave my be a touch cynical at times. But a great writer

When it comes to scribes covering Penn State BB. Dave Jones is in a league of his own. Competition in central Pa. might not be too stiff but he can write with the best of the best.

I thank all of you but I’m in awe of this kid and the growth he’s helped to foster in his teammates. He’s the story.

Also, I should note I never for a minute thought any of this would happen. Several people on this board who I privately mocked back in January turned out to be right. No matter how or why they believed, they were right and I was wrong.

I am amazed that this is happening. I mean, astounded.

We still need to take care of business tomorrow to be 100% sure possibly get at decent seed but I can’t help feeling the relief that I’m going to get to see these guys play in the big dance. All the seniors, including Talor, have invested so much into this program and they deserve every bit of this. We can only hope that we witness the same magic from a decade ago.

I want more magic than a decade ago ;D

Seriously though, am I the only one that thinks that you could make a made-for-TV movie about the life and times of Talor Battle?

Who would play Talor? Ed? Rokk?

I, too, am stunned.
While I always held out hope for this and watched every game, I figured these guys were out of it after the Maryland game. Then they won a few home games and I got little more confident. After the Wisconsin road game I thought they were DONE. The OSU senior night game was the swan song, for sure.

Yet here they are, playing for the championship of one of the top few leagues in the land. This is one of my best days as a sports fan.

Battle deserves a win today. Excellent article.

[quote=“djones, post:9, topic:2121”]I thank all of you but I’m in awe of this kid and the growth he’s helped to foster in his teammates. He’s the story.

Also, I should note I never for a minute thought any of this would happen. Several people on this board who I privately mocked back in January turned out to be right. No matter how or why they believed, they were right and I was wrong.

I am amazed that this is happening. I mean, astounded.[/quote]

Davey, I was a naysayer myself. The MAIN reason being, even though we had the 4 senior starters, there was absolutely no one coming off the bench, sans Woodyard, that had any kind of experience. The transfers of Babb and Edwards, plus the injury to Sasa, just “killed” the outlook for this team. While we still lack bench strength, Ed’s SLOW-DOWN game is the right way to go. It seems to have saved our starters legs to compete at this stage of the season, as they play almost the whole game.

As for next year, I will say this… I know we will struggle as we have no experienced “BIGS” in the middle, but the following year (2012-2013) could be a huge upswing with Frazier, Marshall, Bowman, Sasa, Oliver, and some of the Frosh coming in next year.

Great article, DJ. I’m really pulling for this team like no team I’ve ever pulled for at PSU.

On another note, sometimes I think “bench depth” is the most overrated factor for many teams. Look at our opponent today. They really never go more than 7 deep. And one of their starters (Lauderdale) is really only a 5-10 minute per game player.

If you’re top 5 are solid at every position (which we are), and you’re fortunate not to have major injuries (dodged a huge bullet there), then bench depth really doesn’t seem to matter.

[quote=“ronb89, post:15, topic:2121”]Great article, DJ. I’m really pulling for this team like no team I’ve ever pulled for at PSU.

On another note, sometimes I think “bench depth” is the most overrated factor for many teams. Look at our opponent today. They really never go more than 7 deep. And one of their starters (Lauderdale) is really only a 5-10 minute per game player.

If you’re top 5 are solid at every position (which we are), and you’re fortunate not to have major injuries (dodged a huge bullet there), then bench depth really doesn’t seem to matter.[/quote]So it won’t matter if Talor,Brooks,Tim foul out? Depth is def an issue with this team but luckily we have some seniors that know how to play smart and stay out of foul trouble (for the most part)

Great article, DJ. I'm really pulling for this team like no team I've ever pulled for at PSU.

If you’re top 5 are solid at every position (which we are), and you’re fortunate not to have major injuries (dodged a huge bullet there), then bench depth really doesn’t seem to matter.

So it won’t matter if Talor,Brooks,Tim foul out? Depth is def an issue with this team but luckily we have some seniors that know how to play smart and stay out of foul trouble (for the most part)

…which is my point exactly.

Depth obviously helps, but not as much as it is often portrayed.

Great article Dave. I’ll echo what others have said…Talor, and the other student-athletes and ambassadors for Penn State, are the reason we all are here, wearing our hearts on our sleeves. Thanks for capturing it and expressing it so eloquently.

We still need to take care of business tomorrow to be 100% sure possibly get at decent seed but I can't help feeling the relief that I'm going to get to see these guys play in the big dance. All the seniors, including Talor, have invested so much into this program and they deserve every bit of this. We can only hope that we witness the same magic from a decade ago.

I want more magic than a decade ago ;D

Seriously though, am I the only one that thinks that you could make a made-for-TV movie about the life and times of Talor Battle?

Who would play Talor? Ed? Rokk?

I’ll take a stab…

Talor=Chris Brown, Ed=Stephen Baldwin, Rokk=Anthony Hopkins(In his Hannibal Lecter persona)

That made my day Skeeza