PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Thirty-three years ago

Thirty-three years ago for me…

WOW…looks like Rec Hall was packed last night! How’s that for marketing…!!!
Can anyone provide details to the program last night?

33 years ago…when you graduated or started?

[quote=“tundra, post:2, topic:2616”]WOW…looks like Rec Hall was packed last night! How’s that for marketing…!!!
Can anyone provide details to the program last night?[/quote]

the giveaways, especially the SBS 4 years of free textbooks has been drawing a captive audience of Frosh since I hit town in 1990.

[quote=“tjb, post:1, topic:2616”]Thirty-three years ago for me…

http://twitpic.com/69qn0p[/quote]

48 for me.

[quote="tundra, post:2, topic:2616"]WOW..................looks like Rec Hall was packed last night! How's that for marketing.................................!!!!!!!!!!! Can anyone provide details to the program last night?[/quote]

the giveaways, especially the SBS 4 years of free textbooks has been drawing a captive audience of Frosh since I hit town in 1990.

Tim,
Please explain. What was the general purpose of the Freshman gathering? I don’t think they had any such thing in my year.
I guess PC talked to the crowd. Did anyone else address the audience??

[quote="tundra, post:2, topic:2616"]WOW..................looks like Rec Hall was packed last night! How's that for marketing.................................!!!!!!!!!!! Can anyone provide details to the program last night?[/quote]

Tim,
Please explain. What was the general purpose of the Freshman gathering? I don’t think they had any such think in my year.

Be A Part From the Start aka freshman orientation. I don’t know how long it has existed but I had to do it 4 years ago.

Basically: “Hey welcome to PSU, do all these cool things, blah blah blah”

But Chambers specifically asked to be a featured speaker this year, so he apparently did an awesome job getting the freshmen excited about the program.

Tim,
Please explain. What was the general purpose of the Freshman gathering? I don’t think they had any such think in my year.

Orientation Activities

Sunday Aug 21st 8:00-9:00 p.m. Be A Part From The Start, Rec Hall

Be A Part From The Start is your opportunity to learn about Penn State Pride! Come learn the Alma Mater, the fight songs, and great Penn State traditions with the Lion Ambassadors, the Blue Band, members of Penn State athletic squads, the cheerleaders, the dance team, and, of course, the Nittany Lion! Sponsored by Lion Ambassadors, The Penn State Alumni Association, and Residence Life.

Thirty-three years ago for me...

Coach Chambers gets Rec Hall roaring & on it's feet at #Beaapartfromthestart

48 for me.

I miss my dink.

In my Freshman year they gathered us in the BJC. I don’t remember much other then they pointing out the Freshman football players.

That looks like a nicer freshmen greeting than I remember.

[quote=“tundra, post:6, topic:2616”]Tim,
Please explain. What was the general purpose of the Freshman gathering? I don’t think they had any such thing in my year.
I guess PC talked to the crowd. Did anyone else address the audience??[/quote]

It wasn’t as if this was some new marketing strategy cooked up by teh basketball program. The University has been doing this pep rally for many years. The RAs and OLs round up any Frosh that are in teh dorms and march them over to Rec Hall. There are usually some cool giveaways, including the SBS free books for 4 years, which was the sole reason that me and half of my floor attended back in 1990. Rec Hall is usually full for this event every year. It’s an easy sell for new students who have just arrived and are still looking to meet other new kids.

Don’t know if BP, JD, ED ever spoke at it in years past, but it’s not as if it was marketed this year as a Be A Part of PC’s Crew From the Start.

Was it a good thing that he was there?

Yes, every bit helps at this point.

Thanks guys, for the info!

[quote=“think1, post:11, topic:2616”]That looks like a nicer freshmen greeting than I remember.

[/quote]

The ripple effect is awesome. ;D

They do both a gathering at the BJC for freshman which is considered to be required, whereas Be a Part from the Start is considered optional. I actually didn’t go last year, forget why exactly.

“you guys are sitting way too much”

hahaha love it.

[quote=“eric17, post:16, topic:2616”]Penn State Men’s Basketball: Coach Chambers Speaking to the Freshmen

“you guys are sitting way too much”

hahaha love it.[/quote]

It’s certainly hard not to get caught up in his enthusiasm.

The singing part is over the top.

PC’s performance was amazing!!!

This is one of the important ways to BUILT a successful college program.
Gosh, it’s amazing no one thought of it before!

That looks like a nicer freshmen greeting than I remember.

The ripple effect is awesome. ;D

That has to be one of the top ten most disturbing things I’ve ever seen!!