PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Thinking of changing the forum software

I’m thinking of changing the forum to this:

Ninja Post Basics

What I like:

• Real time update of threads. No page reloading to see what has been posted since you last opened the page. This makes the IGTs more chat-like, and was the primary reason I started looking for a new forum.
  • Multiple sign-up methods. We’ll convert our existing registrations (we can even bring the threads over), but you can also use other logins (like Facebook) to sign up.

I like it. Especially because ninjas will be involved.

I’d like to know what conversations within a thread look like before I vote.

Can we still embed video? That’s one of the best features of this forum.

I see it has like (+1) and dislike (-1). Does it have ignore?

I went to their FAQ’s and it doesn’t look like it currently supports video or even image embed. It also doesn’t have Search yet from what I can tell.

Ninja Post demo forum:

http://forum.ninjapost.com/

Here’s a link to a forum using the software.

Go Ninja

Looks like no images or youtube embedding.

Three reasons to vote NO.

I voted yes. The lack of search bothers me more than not being able to embed video (you can always link). On the other hand, Craftsy won’t be able to search for all the dumb things I’ve said. :wink: :slight_smile:

Conversations don’t appear to be threaded. A fourth reason to vote no for me - and I’ve seen enough.

Yeah, looks like Ninja is mostly about “Chat Like” speed. The other features would definitely be missed.
I voted no.

The most important feature to me is the ability to go immediately to new posts in a thread. I love the way the current system marks new threads, and lets you click right to the new content.

Absolutely agree. That’s one of the frustrating things about FOS’s board. You have to manually control marking which threads you’ve read, and that’s absurd.

Good stuff, thanks. I would imagine some of these things are coming soon, but I agree until then they are big negatives. “New” thread activity is one of the best things about this forum software.

I don’t like change. ;D

Lar, the other thing with FOS that makes it a poor board is all the doom and gloom. A couple of posters really ruined that board for any sensible civil discussions.

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:16, topic:2027”]I don’t like change. ;D

Lar, the other thing with FOS that makes it a poor board is all the doom and gloom. A couple of posters really ruined that board for any sensible civil discussions.[/quote]

At least Scott/Rokk/William/MacJack or whatever he’s calling himself now, managed to get himself banned from there so it’s calmed down a little. Still a few who won’t give up though.

Scout really dropped the ball with their forum software.

That software looks awful compared to the current one. Just my opinion.

I like the present board!! It works great.