The Who...................for Conspiracy Nuts

Does it seem odd to anybody that 2 of CBS’s top shows have Theme Songs played during the Super Bowl Halftime show. Ya think it had anything to do with their "SELECTION??"
Remember the keys words are CBS and SELECTION. …More to come in March. :stuck_out_tongue:

By the way, I liked the show. But, not sure how many notes Daltry hit or how many strings Townsend hit. Particularly with his windmills!

[quote=“tundra, post:1, topic:813”]Does it seem odd to anybody that 2 of CBS’s top shows have Theme Songs played during the Super Bowl Halftime show. Ya think it had anything to do with their "SELECTION??"
Remember the keys words are CBS and SELECTION. …More to come in March. :stuck_out_tongue:

By the way, I liked the show. But, not sure how many notes Daltry hit or how many strings Townsend hit. Particularly with his windmills![/quote]

All 3 CSI shows have Who songs as there theme’s.

Thanks Chaze. More fuel for my theory!

Most people under 40 said, “who are ‘the who’”?

Maybe, but isn’t this an “over 40” message board ?? :wink:

Interesting that CBS does have 3 shows with “The Who” songs. As someone who prefers CBS programming, news and even Sporting Events to any other network, I never really noticed that.

I’m 33, I know who “The Who” are, but they really have little appeal to me. I spent halftime not watching the halftime show (although I did turn the volume up to hear the music).

[quote=“tundra, post:1, topic:813”]Does it seem odd to anybody that 2 of CBS’s top shows have Theme Songs played during the Super Bowl Halftime show. Ya think it had anything to do with their "SELECTION??"

By the way, I liked the show. But, not sure how many notes Daltry hit or how many strings Townsend hit. Particularly with his windmills![/quote]

When Daltrey started singing he sounded horrendous, I almost fell out of my chair. After the first song he recovered a little, but I was wondering if they had piped in some pre-recorded stuff to help out. The Who was a really cool band at one time, but Daltrey with that scarf looked like a retired english professor or something. I can’t look at Townsend anymore without thinking that he is some kind of perv. I think the stage and the cymbals were the only good part of their show.

Nah I think they said “why are these guys playing the CSI theme songs?”

I am under 30 and I was excited to see The Who during halftime (even though I am not a die hard fan or anything). Daltry sounded rough, but he did pick up a little as it went on. At one point, it didn’t look like he was singing. Townshend had the windmill going nicely, I think during Baba O’Reilly. I thought they would have a better fill in for Moon. I watched an old concert of theirs a few months ago on Comcast On Demand. Halftime obviously didn’t come remotely close to that, but it was still cool to see them. I guess they were trying to work on a tour, but that fell through.

I’m under 30 and I saw The Who about 10 years ago. Worst show I’ve ever been to. I bet they were awesome during their peak though. A couple of burnouts were partying in the spot over and they kept telling us the show was going to blow our minds.

I don’t really like any of their stuff.

I’ve always felt The Who were one of the most overrated bands ever. Look at their discography. Have they released anything even remotely significant since the early 80’s?

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=THE|WHO&sql=11:fifwxqr5ldfe~T2

And even prior to that in their “heyday”, I think a reevaluation diminishes their reputation. In contrast I think the Kinks and their 60’s to early 70’s material is some of the most underrated music ever and I will continue to shill for them at every opportunity. ;D

Unfortunately to perform at the super bowl you’ve got to have extreme mass appeal that spans generations. They’ve also got to be somebody family friendly and tv safe.

There’s not too many acts that fit that mold anymore (thank god), so what you’ll usually see lately is some over the hill band that used to be cool and now has a song or two that young people might know for some reason (like from a tv theme show).

The Who were a perfect grab for CBS in all those regards - not to mention they get that subliminal cross-promotional thing for their own tv shows.

Dude, you could say the same about the Stones, but they’re still rockin’ out at $100 a seat for shows.

[quote="pmhewitt, post:11, topic:813"]I've always felt The Who were one of the most overrated bands ever. Look at their discography. Have they released anything even remotely significant since the early 80's?[/quote]

Dude, you could say the same about the Stones, but they’re still rockin’ out at $100 a seat for shows.

I don’t totally disagree with you but I think the quality and amount of their quality work far exceeds that of The Who.

The Who …Stones…wow

“Who’s Next” and “Hot Rocks” may be my 2 favorite albums!

Jimi’s “Smash Hits” would be my 3rd favorite.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:12, topic:813”]Unfortunately to perform at the super bowl you’ve got to have extreme mass appeal that spans generations. They’ve also got to be somebody family friendly and tv safe.

There’s not too many acts that fit that mold anymore (thank god), so what you’ll usually see lately is some over the hill band that used to be cool and now has a song or two that young people might know for some reason (like from a tv theme show).

The Who were a perfect grab for CBS in all those regards - not to mention they get that subliminal cross-promotional thing for their own tv shows.[/quote]

Maybe next year we’ll get Steppenwolf

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:12, topic:813”]Unfortunately to perform at the super bowl you’ve got to have extreme mass appeal that spans generations. They’ve also got to be somebody family friendly and tv safe.

The Who were a perfect grab for CBS in all those regards - not to mention they get that subliminal cross-promotional thing for their own tv shows.[/quote]

I saw The Who few years ago and trust me, they aren’t “family friendly and TV safe”. They dropped an f bomb before they played a note and many more followed. They aren’t nearly the band they were years ago, and Daltrey’s voice isn’t nearly what it once was, but it was still a great show.

[quote=“pmhewitt, post:11, topic:813”]I’ve always felt The Who were one of the most overrated bands ever. Look at their discography. Have they released anything even remotely significant since the early 80’s?

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=THE|WHO&sql=11:fifwxqr5ldfe~T2

And even prior to that in their “heyday”, I think a reevaluation diminishes their reputation. In contrast I think the Kinks and their 60’s to early 70’s material is some of the most underrated music ever and I will continue to shill for them at every opportunity. ;D[/quote]

Don’t know that much from The Kinks. Heard Celluloid Heroes for the first time last fall and proceeded to play it 10 times a day for a couple of weeks.

I believe the two previous Super Bowls were Tom Petty and The Boss, with Prince before that (I know he did the Stillers vs. Seabirds game)?

The new Weird Al Yankovic cover of “Walter”

Ehh-deeee, remember last season–all the pundits knew your name

Ehh-deeee, Isn’t it a shame the way your little world has changed

Do you remember, Eddie, watching Pringle and Jamelle?

Do you remember, Eddie, when the team was doing well?

Yes, Eddie was our mate,

But Eddie our old friend where are you now?

In contrast I think the Kinks and their 60's to early 70's material is some of the most underrated music ever and I will continue to shill for them at every opportunity. ;D

The new Weird Al Yankovic cover of “Walter”

Ehh-deeee, remember last season–all the pundits knew your name

Ehh-deeee, Isn’t it a shame the way your little world has changed

Do you remember, Eddie, watching Pringle and Jamelle?

Do you remember, Eddie, when the team was doing well?

Yes, Eddie was our mate,

But Eddie our old friend where are you now?

Wow, that’s pretty obscure! Oddly enough as much as I love the Kinks, I think the highly lauded Village Green is a slightly overrated album. I think Something Else and Arthur are both better.