The Thread Formerly Known As Positive Vibes (The 2nd Half of the Big Ten Season)

67-49
65-43
73-66
79-71 in OT

The numbers above still give me and others hope that the Nittany’s can somehow find it in themselves to have a strong 2nd half of the Big Ten season and garner a few good wins. As much as we all like to feel that they are not even close to winning games or becoming a winning Big Ten team, it’s these numbers above that tell me otherwise.

Here’s hoping they wake up today and start having fun playing the game of basketball as a team.

Play with heart.

Play with passion.

Play with desire.

Go get em boys.

We are 0-0 to start the 2nd half of the b10 season. We can go undefeated. Go get em Eddie!!!

History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of men…

Could today provide a steady dose of Ottzilla?

Could today provide some perimeter ball movement?

Could today provide a rested Lions with a big win?

Could today provide the Lions winning the turnover battle for once?

Could today provide Frazier, Jackson, and Babb with solid shooting performances?

Could Jones and Brooks play with the skill we saw last season?

For the Glory,

[quote=“PSUChamp08, post:3, topic:784”]History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of men…

Could today provide Frazier, Jackson, and Babb with solid shooting performances?

For the Glory,[/quote]

No.

Why do you make this so easy FanofPSU?

Yes, history does show again and again how nature points up the folly of men

10 minutes in the game. But he did not play at the right time. PSU was hacking 3’s and and it was hard for him to get any putbacks. He had key turnovers in this game.

Yes. There was definitely some perimeter ball movement. Too much perimeter ball movement, though.

[b]No big win today. :-[/b]

Yes! PSU won the turnover battle!!! Hooray!!! 9-8. PSU had a good advantage in this category until some key turnovers mid way through the second half. MSU didn’t have very many steals, which was good. The loose ball with about a minute left in the game looked like it went out on MSU, but they gave them the ball anyway. So winning the turnover battle is a key step. If PSU can win the turnover battle, as they did today, and win the rebounding margin like we do most games, or at least keep it close, it’s possible that to win. Rebounding was the surprising thing today that MSU dominated. But a lot of that has to do with the fact that PSU shot so many 3’s and it’s hard to consistently rebound long 3 point shots that clank off the rim.

David Jackson, yes. 4-8, 2-5 from 3pt range is solid.

Chris Babb, no, 2-9, 2-8 from 3pt range is not solid

Tim Frazier, no , 0-3, 0-1 from 3 pt range is not solid

Both these guys played with a lot of skill today. Jones played 30 minutes, had 0 fouls, 2 blocks, 5 rebounds, no turnovers and a great dunk. Brooks played 23 minutes, was 2-5 from the field, including a great turnaround shot, with 6 boards, 1 assist, only 1 foul, but he did have two turnovers. Jones played well, he just didn’t feed the ball enough. Brooks is up and down, but has shown flashes of skill. Brooks was up and down last year too.

So the answer to all those questions isn’t No. Just because we didn’t win. Some Yes, some No. Perhaps we can put it all together and play some team basketball. We got nothin to lose!

[quote="FanofPSU, post:4, topic:784"]No.[/quote]

10 minutes in the game. But he did not play at the right time. PSU was hacking 3’s and and it was hard for him to get any putbacks. He had key turnovers in this game.

Yes. There was definitely some perimeter ball movement. Too much perimeter ball movement, though.

Yes! PSU won the turnover battle!!! Hooray!!! 9-8. PSU had a good advantage in this category until some key turnovers mid way through the second half. MSU didn’t have very many steals, which was good. The loose ball with about a minute left in the game looked like it went out on MSU, but they gave them the ball anyway. So winning the turnover battle is a key step. If PSU can win the turnover battle, as they did today, and win the rebounding margin like we do most games, or at least keep it close, it’s possible that to win. Rebounding was the surprising thing today that MSU dominated. But a lot of that has to do with the fact that PSU shot so many 3’s and it’s hard to consistently rebound long 3 point shots that clank off the rim.

Both these guys played with a lot of skill today. Jones played 30 minutes, had 0 fouls, 2 blocks, 5 rebounds, no turnovers and a great dunk. Brooks played 23 minutes, was 2-5 from the field, including a great turnaround shot, with 6 boards, 1 assist, only 1 foul, but he did have two turnovers. Jones played well, he just didn’t feed the ball enough. Brooks is up and down, but has shown flashes of skill. Brooks was up and down last year too.

So the answer to all those questions isn’t No. Just because we didn’t win. Some Yes, some No. Perhaps we can put it all together and play some team basketball. We got nothin to lose!

Dude, this team sucks. Sad but unfortunate truth.

[quote="FanofPSU, post:4, topic:784"]No.[/quote]

Dude, this team sucks. Sad but unfortunate truth.

I guess I’ll disagree with you on the word TEAM and SUCKS. I think it is the coaching staff from top to bottom and not this team. There are a number of coaches who could have this team with about 4-5 B10 wins

Team? What team?

I just see one guy out there doing everything he can.

[quote=“eric17, post:8, topic:784”]Team? What team?

I just see one guy out there doing everything he can.[/quote]

Agreed. With no Battle, this is one of the worst teams in D1.

[quote="eric17, post:8, topic:784"]Team? What team?

I just see one guy out there doing everything he can.[/quote]

Agreed. With no Battle, this is one of the worst teams in D1.

It’s really scare to think how bad this team would be without him. It’s scary enough with him.

We might not score 60 points in a game all year. It’s obviously silly to even think about but it is also an indication of where the program currently is.

I feel horribly for Buie. He is going to be a good one but he is in a really tough situation. Even if he comes in as good as Talor(not likely) this then will be a two man team.

It’s like the other guys on the team haven’t been coached since high school right now.

You guys gotta relax. This team without Battle isn’t the worst team in 1A. That’s just a ridiculous comment. These players are two, three, and four star recruits. This is the same team that beat Virginia. This is the same team that was in one possession of Va Tech. This is the same team that was tied 46-46 with a top 10 team today.

There are many things wrong with PSU Basketball. But the main thing is that they’ve lost their identity. They’ve become a 3 point chucking team. They are confused on the defensive end. But they’re not as bad as you make it out to be. It’s not easy to beat a team like Michigan State. I remember back 5 or 6 years ago we would get blown out by a team like Michigan State from whistle to whistle. Michigan State didn’t blow PSU out today. The game was tied with 10 minutes left.

Things aren’t that great right now for the team. But lets keep things into perspective. We are coming off a great season. Yes we are disappointed that we are 0-12 in a tough league. The problem we have is that we have lost our identity this year. Teams remember how we beat them last year and are changing things up this year. Still, the games are close. I don’t think it’s the coaching staff nor the players. I think it has to do with how teams are playing us, and it’s our decision-making and communication that has prevented us from winning. (coaches, and players, the combination of them)

[quote=“PSUChamp08, post:11, topic:784”]You guys gotta relax. This team without Battle isn’t the worst team in 1A. That’s just a ridiculous comment. These players are two, three, and four star recruits. This is the same team that beat Virginia. This is the same team that was in one possession of Va Tech. This is the same team that was tied 46-46 with a top 10 team today.

There are many things wrong with PSU Basketball. But the main thing is that they’ve lost their identity. They’ve become a 3 point chucking team. They are confused on the defensive end. But they’re not as bad as you make it out to be. It’s not easy to beat a team like Michigan State. I remember back 5 or 6 years ago we would get blown out by a team like Michigan State from whistle to whistle. Michigan State didn’t blow PSU out today. The game was tied with 10 minutes left.

Things aren’t that great right now for the team. But lets keep things into perspective. We are coming off a great season. Yes we are disappointed that we are 0-12 in a tough league. The problem we have is that we have lost our identity this year. Teams remember how we beat them last year and are changing things up this year. Still, the games are close. I don’t think it’s the coaching staff nor the players. I think it has to do with how teams are playing us, and it’s our decision-making and communication that has prevented us from winning. (coaches, and players, the combination of them)[/quote]

We are 0-12 in conference. The problem is that, outside of Battle, this team sucks.

[quote="PSUChamp08, post:11, topic:784"]You guys gotta relax. This team without Battle isn't the worst team in 1A. That's just a ridiculous comment. These players are two, three, and four star recruits. This is the same team that beat Virginia. This is the same team that was in one possession of Va Tech. This is the same team that was tied 46-46 with a top 10 team today.

Things aren’t that great right now for the team. But lets keep things into perspective. We are coming off a great season. Yes we are disappointed that we are 0-12 in a tough league. The problem we have is that we have lost our identity this year. Teams remember how we beat them last year and are changing things up this year. Still, the games are close. I don’t think it’s the coaching staff nor the players. I think it has to do with how teams are playing us, and it’s our decision-making and communication that has prevented us from winning. (coaches, and players, the combination of them)[/quote]

We are 0-12 in conference. The problem is that, outside of Battle, this team sucks.

Fine. That’s your problem. I don’t think Jones, DJ Jackson, Brooks, Ott, Frazier and the rest are bad players. I think they are great players. Say they suck. That’s your opinion.

[quote="PSUChamp08, post:11, topic:784"]You guys gotta relax. This team without Battle isn't the worst team in 1A. That's just a ridiculous comment. These players are two, three, and four star recruits. This is the same team that beat Virginia. This is the same team that was in one possession of Va Tech. This is the same team that was tied 46-46 with a top 10 team today.

Fine. That’s your problem. I don’t think Jones, DJ Jackson, Brooks, Ott, Frazier and the rest are bad players. I think they are great players. Say they suck. That’s your opinion.

“Great players” don’t go 0-12 in conference.

“Great teams” don’t go 0-12 in conference. PSU is not a great team this year. PSU was a great team last year. A lot of the same players are on this team that were on the team last year. Basketball isn’t an individual sport. Basketball is a team sport.

I think it’s funny how many people jump ship and claim to have never been aboard as soon as things turn south.

[quote="FanofPSU, post:14, topic:784"]"Great players" don't go 0-12 in conference.[/quote]

“Great teams” don’t go 0-12 in conference. PSU is not a great team this year. PSU was a great team last year. A lot of the same players are on this team that were on the team last year. Basketball isn’t an individual sport. Basketball is a team sport.

I’m just trying to pin down exactly what your saying here. So we have a lot of great players but not a great team. In fact it is a team that is 0-12 and quite possibly 0-18 in the Big 10. So can I assume you consider Ed an awful coach? And if not, how does someone like yourself reconcile the great players and the not awful coach with a god awful record?

Great teams have intangibles that make them a great team. Great teams have chemistry and succeed because they feed off each other and make themselves better by playing together. DeChellis has recruited quality student athletes. Athletes that were highly touted in high school. But that only gets you so far in college basketball. Jamelle Cornley wasn’t recruited by Ohio State despite growing up in Columbus. But he happened to turn into one of the toughest players PSU ever had. When he came on the floor, guys rallied around him. Guys fed off his energy.

I don’t consider DeChellis an awful coach. Sometimes there isn’t any one thing that can explain it all away. I believe that DeChellis is a good coach but I don’t necessarily think he doing a good job with the players this year. College basketball has become a very different game since the end of last season for DeChellis and for PSU. Rules have changed, teams have adjusted. Players have left. I think we have to remember that DeChellis has been trying to build something at PSU. It isn’t built up like it is at other places. It’s still a work in progress. We’d all like it to be complete. We’d all like to have a coach that everyone supports like maybe Michigan State does with Izzo or Duke has with Coach K. But that’s a fantasy world at the moment. It’s not real at Penn State yet. Last year it felt like it was happening and it could be real, but then it was all pulled out for under us for insignificant reasons.

How do I reconcile the great players and the not awful coach with a god awful record? I reconcile it by knowing that PSU is not playing anywhere near their potential. They are not challenging other teams the way that they can. They are not optimizing their talents because they are not implementing creative strategy on the court. College basketball does not have defense like it had last year. PSU (or any other team) is not able to set charges and play help defense like they did last year because there’s a no charge zone now, so since they are afraid that they will get hit with an And-1 if they try to stand their ground on defense, so they let teams shoot layups uncontested like they did today. They actually move out of the way when a guy is dribble driving. (unlike last year)

There are things that are out of PSU’s control that are affecting PSU’s ability to be competitive in college basketball. It all started with being snubbed from the NCAA Tournament. It progressed into the no charge zone. Look, even Lavin and the other announcer discussed PSU’s being snubbed at length throughout the game today. It doesn’t sit well with DeChellis and it shouldn’t sit well with him. It sure as hell doesn’t sit well with me. Of course at some point you must move on. And at some point you gotta look within yourself for the answers to the questions that ail you. I think it is difficult for DeChellis to do this due to the circumstances surrounding college basketball. Perhaps this is a problem for PSU basketball. Perhaps it is a problem for college basketball. Perhaps it is a media-related problem. Perhaps it is a problem with Dick Vitale. Perhaps it is simply a long and winding road that has no finality. Perhaps it is unfortunate what is happening now and perhaps PSU will be taking a risk keeping DeChellis or taking a risk hanging DeChellis out to dry. These are not easy decisions for PSU. But I do believe that PSU tries to do the right thing and I hope they give coach every chance to see this thing out because I believe coach has earned it and deserves that much. I think we owe it to coach to support him and the team and to see this thing out. And by that I mean keep this shop going into next year regardless of how this year ends. Some may disagree and I understand where those are coming from. It’s a fair assessment as long as go about it with class.

I can’t say coach has or hasn’t moved on. I can’t speak of coach’s future. All I know is that coach came to PSU with a dream of putting PSU on the college basketball map. And say whatever you want but last year he did. He put PSU basketball on the map. He and his team had a great year. it wasn’t nothing or insignificant because they weren’t selected for the ncaa tournament. It was something very important for PSU supports. The way the team played last year was very important to me and a lot of my friends. Yeah, maybe for some teams like Michigan State 10-8 is an average year. But for PSU Basketball, that was a great year. And until PSU is consistently in the NCAAs like a team like Michigan State, 10-8 is a great year. It was a great year because it could have been 12-6 or 11-7 so easily. They played that well.

It’s a great year because usually PSU does not have a winning BigTen record in basketball. It’s only happened twice so far. So my reconciliation isn’t necessarily that coach DeChellis is doing a great job this year. I think coach did a great job getting his team up to beat Virginia in their building. But game-in-game out, Coach probably isn’t doing that great of a job in conference play. He isn’t doing a great job because his team isn’t winning. And at the end of the day, that’s what coaches get paid the big bucks for. They get paid the big bucks to win. At any level.

I am simply not going to hang the coach out to dry. That’s my reconciliation because I know how hard it has been to have the success that he has had. Even if some consider his success moderate compared to what they expect, to me, it still is incredible what coach has done here. I believe that coach has done a great job overall given the circumstances that he was in when he started. Coach deserves our support. I don’t believe that we need another coach at the moment. Only time will tell. It’s too early to believe this in a concrete way after last year. I don’t believe that coach is the problem. I believe that there are problems unrelated to PSU that results in it being harder for PSU basketball to compete up to their potential. Some things PSU can control, but sometimes when PSU does a great job, it should get rewarded on its merits like other teams get rewarded when they do well. And when you don’t get rewarded when you do well, then sometimes it can be hard to win the close games or get over the hump.

Yeah, man. I went to school at PSU between 2000-2005 and I remember my freshman year we went to all the games. I remember when we beat #6 Illinois in overtime with an incredible effort from Joe Crispin and co. And in 2002 and 2003 I had to drag some of my friends to games, and most of the time we lost, but you know we had fun just analyzing the games and seeing great teams come into to our arena. And when DeChellis was hired I remember the hope we all had. And I remember DeChellis’s first game against Georgetown vividly. Georgetown wasn’t as great as they are now, but they were still a school with a lot of basketball history, and I remember Ben Luber and Marlon Smith and co play that game right down to the end and there was a call in that game that didn’t go our way and we were so close to winning. It was such a great game and it was the best $5 I ever spent witnessing that great game. And I remember Ben Luber and Marlon Smith having to play damn near 40 minutes per game because we had no bench. And now we have a much deeper bench, we have everything we need to be a great team but for one reason or the other it isn’t happening this year. Yet people just jump ship and start hating on everything. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. You just gotta believe in what you have. It’s like coach said. We have each other and we can’t give up just because things don’t go the way we expect them to.

[quote="pmhewitt, post:17, topic:784"]I'm just trying to pin down exactly what your saying here. So we have a lot of great players but not a great team. In fact it is a team that is 0-12 and quite possibly 0-18 in the Big 10. So can I assume you consider Ed an awful coach? And if not, how does someone like yourself reconcile the great players and the not awful coach with a god awful record?[/quote]

Great teams have intangibles that make them a great team. Great teams have chemistry and succeed because they feed off each other and make themselves better by playing together. DeChellis has recruited quality student athletes. Athletes that were highly touted in high school. But that only gets you so far in college basketball. Jamelle Cornley wasn’t recruited by Ohio State despite growing up in Columbus. But he happened to turn into one of the toughest players PSU ever had. When he came on the floor, guys rallied around him. Guys fed off his energy.

I don’t consider DeChellis an awful coach. Sometimes there isn’t any one thing that can explain it all away. I believe that DeChellis is a good coach but I don’t necessarily think he doing a good job with the players this year. College basketball has become a very different game since the end of last season for DeChellis and for PSU. Rules have changed, teams have adjusted. Players have left. I think we have to remember that DeChellis has been trying to build something at PSU. It isn’t built up like it is at other places. It’s still a work in progress. We’d all like it to be complete. We’d all like to have a coach that everyone supports like maybe Michigan State does with Izzo or Duke has with Coach K. But that’s a fantasy world at the moment. It’s not real at Penn State yet. Last year it felt like it was happening and it could be real, but then it was all pulled out for under us for insignificant reasons.

How do I reconcile the great players and the not awful coach with a god awful record? I reconcile it by knowing that PSU is not playing anywhere near their potential. They are not challenging other teams the way that they can. They are not optimizing their talents because they are not implementing creative strategy on the court. College basketball does not have defense like it had last year. PSU (or any other team) is not able to set charges and play help defense like they did last year because there’s a no charge zone now, so since they are afraid that they will get hit with an And-1 if they try to stand their ground on defense, so they let teams shoot layups uncontested like they did today. They actually move out of the way when a guy is dribble driving. (unlike last year)

There are things that are out of PSU’s control that are affecting PSU’s ability to be competitive in college basketball. It all started with being snubbed from the NCAA Tournament. It progressed into the no charge zone. Look, even Lavin and the other announcer discussed PSU’s being snubbed at length throughout the game today. It doesn’t sit well with DeChellis and it shouldn’t sit well with him. It sure as hell doesn’t sit well with me. Of course at some point you must move on. And at some point you gotta look within yourself for the answers to the questions that ail you. I think it is difficult for DeChellis to do this due to the circumstances surrounding college basketball. Perhaps this is a problem for PSU basketball. Perhaps it is a problem for college basketball. Perhaps it is a media-related problem. Perhaps it is a problem with Dick Vitale. Perhaps it is simply a long and winding road that has no finality. Perhaps it is unfortunate what is happening now and perhaps PSU will be taking a risk keeping DeChellis or taking a risk hanging DeChellis out to dry. These are not easy decisions for PSU. But I do believe that PSU tries to do the right thing and I hope they give coach every chance to see this thing out because I believe coach has earned it and deserves that much. I think we owe it to coach to support him and the team and to see this thing out. And by that I mean keep this shop going into next year regardless of how this year ends. Some may disagree and I understand where those are coming from. It’s a fair assessment as long as go about it with class.

I can’t say coach has or hasn’t moved on. I can’t speak of coach’s future. All I know is that coach came to PSU with a dream of putting PSU on the college basketball map. And say whatever you want but last year he did. He put PSU basketball on the map. He and his team had a great year. it wasn’t nothing or insignificant because they weren’t selected for the ncaa tournament. It was something very important for PSU supports. The way the team played last year was very important to me and a lot of my friends. Yeah, maybe for some teams like Michigan State 10-8 is an average year. But for PSU Basketball, that was a great year. And until PSU is consistently in the NCAAs like a team like Michigan State, 10-8 is a great year. It was a great year because it could have been 12-6 or 11-7 so easily. They played that well.

It’s a great year because usually PSU does not have a winning BigTen record in basketball. It’s only happened twice so far. So my reconciliation isn’t necessarily that coach DeChellis is doing a great job this year. I think coach did a great job getting his team up to beat Virginia in their building. But game-in-game out, Coach probably isn’t doing that great of a job in conference play. He isn’t doing a great job because his team isn’t winning. And at the end of the day, that’s what coaches get paid the big bucks for. They get paid the big bucks to win. At any level.

I am simply not going to hang the coach out to dry. That’s my reconciliation because I know how hard it has been to have the success that he has had. Even if some consider his success moderate compared to what they expect, to me, it still is incredible what coach has done here. I believe that coach has done a great job overall given the circumstances that he was in when he started. Coach deserves our support. I don’t believe that we need another coach at the moment. Only time will tell. It’s too early to believe this in a concrete way after last year. I don’t believe that coach is the problem. I believe that there are problems unrelated to PSU that results in it being harder for PSU basketball to compete up to their potential. Some things PSU can control, but sometimes when PSU does a great job, it should get rewarded on its merits like other teams get rewarded when they do well. And when you don’t get rewarded when you do well, then sometimes it can be hard to win the close games or get over the hump.

Dude, this is the exact same type of post as the Sweet 16 posts from last year. Exactly the same. I WILL keep calling you out.