PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

The Thank You Ed DeChellis thread

We can, have and will debate ED’s on the court success for years. That’s not for this thread.

This is a thank you do ED for, despite on the court struggles, for staying true to the PSU mantra off the court, doing it the right way, and being a wonderful presence in the community.

We can only hope the next coach has those three qualities.

Thank you Ed for your contributions to Penn State. He led us to an NIT Championship and an NCAA Tournament birth. He also brought in arguably the best Penn State player ever, Talor Battle. I was surprised that he left and I wanted him to stay and build the program. Best of luck to Ed at Navy.

Success with honour.

Maybe not enough of the former for some people here, but I bought season tickets for the first time in the DeChellis years, and enjoyed watching him build the program.

There is no question he’s left it better than he found it.

Thank you, ED.

Back in late December 2010, I thought this team was headed for a 10-22 season if that. Ed made a big change and I think it regalvanized the team into a winner again. It was undoubtedly a tough decision, but he made it and it turned out to be the right decision.

Hopefully, coaching basketball can be fun again for Ed. I appreciate all you did at PSU.

I was proud to have him as our coach.

I think Ed is everything that is still right with college sports, in an era where almost nothing else is. I, too, was extremely proud to call him our head coach and I’m sad to see him leave while there was still work to be done here. I wish him nothing but the best, he served this program well as far as I’m concerned.

I think Navy is actually a great place for him. He’ll do those young officers well.

I’ll add my thanks to the thread also. One thing that DeChellis showed time and time again while he was here was that he is a man of principles. That characteristic alone should bode him well at the Naval Academy.

Good luck to Ed.

I thought Penn State was a great place for ED. I really thought that had he been given another two seasons, we would have had something going. Good luck to you ED. Thanks for all you did for PSU both on and off the court.

I am currently recovering from a torn ACL and this past Friday I saw Ed while I was at physical therapy. I had been thinking all weekend that I should have taken the opportunity to congratulate him on making the tournament and tell him that I liked the kids he was bringing in. I guess I won’t ever get that chance again, so I’ll say it here.

Thanks for some fun times, Ed.

[Negative comment in thank you thread deleted] … [H]e was a great man. While the Wins and Losses may not have gone the way I would have liked, I’m proud of what he did as a human being. We talk about how smiles don’t win games but at the end of the day I’d respect how he approached the job in a crooked world.

Best of luck

I’m sorry to see you go, coach. You were a great representative of Penn State, and I thank you for 8 years (plus those as an assistant) of hard work and dedication. Best of luck in the future.

Thanks for the memories Ed. This year was fun. That’s all I want from my basketball team. Best of luck, hopefully you get another David Robinson!

Good luck, Ed.

I’ve long cheered for Navy football because I knew someone in the athletic department. Now, Navy basketball will similarly be my second favorite team.

Tough to see him go, it just won’t be the same out there. Many have been calling for him to go for a while now, well now they got what they wanted. I for one cherished every moment and would just like to wish coach the very best in his future. He should know that he accomplished a great deal at PSU. The NCAA tournament runs, but also the unique brand of basketball he taught at PSU was really a breath of fresh air. I will always remember DeChellis’s PSU teams as teams who prided themselves on playing contest-every-shot never-give-up defense. Some games when we couldn’t buy a bucket on offense, our defense kept us alive in the game. I just don’t know if the next PSU coach can win a BigTen game when scoring in the 30s like DeChellis did. He just had an unshakable resolve to get the most out of his players. It’s a not an easy void to fill, but I find it somehow fitting that he left after the last year of the BigTen. Those games in the BigTen tournament were really something to witness. Thanks coach for all the memories and the fantastic run this season. Best of luck at Navy.

[quote=“NGameday, post:11, topic:2407”][Negative comment in thank you thread deleted] … [H]e was a great man. While the Wins and Losses may not have gone the way I would have liked, I’m proud of what he did as a human being. We talk about how smiles don’t win games but at the end of the day I’d respect how he approached the job in a crooked world.

Best of luck[/quote]

Oh come on…haha

Assuming that we don’t get a new coach named in the next ten days, I hope ED takes a couple of days off from his new job and still hosts the Coaches vs Cancer tournament next week.

Ordinarily that might be kind of awkward but I would think under the circumstances it would make sense. I for one would like to see it happen.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:17, topic:2407”]Assuming that we don’t get a new coach named in the next ten days, I hope ED takes a couple of days off from his new job and still hosts the Coaches vs Cancer tournament next week.

Ordinarily that might be kind of awkward but I would think under the circumstances it would make sense. I for one would like to see it happen.[/quote]

Lar, I was wondering about that. It will be interesting event for sure. 10 days is fast but we have seen new coach hired in a lot less time at other programs. It will be a reporters field day I bet.

[quote="UncleLar, post:17, topic:2407"]Assuming that we don't get a new coach named in the next ten days, I hope ED takes a couple of days off from his new job and still hosts the Coaches vs Cancer tournament next week.

Ordinarily that might be kind of awkward but I would think under the circumstances it would make sense. I for one would like to see it happen.[/quote]

Lar, I was wondering about that. It will be interesting event for sure. 10 days is fast but we have seen new coach hired in a lot less time at other programs. It will be a reporters field day I bet.

I’ve got no plans on sleeping. Tomorrow could be fun.

+1 that says it all…