PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

The Tavern

Nice story on the Tavern Restaurant by Onward State (whose logo, in case anyone hasn’t noticed, I have borrowed as my profile picture). Sadly though, Onward State, as is their wont, manages to screw it up by spelling one of their featured subjects’ name wrong - it’s Katie O’Toole, not Katie Toole.

1 Like

No doubt that the Tavern is part of psu history but honestly I haven’t eaten there since the 80s. Been to the Adam’s apple a few times.

I feared for the worst when I opened this thread. Glad it was just a feature and not yet another State College restaurant closing.

I have said this out loud to a waiter or waitress at The Tavern more than once: “I will have all of the side dishes with the exception of the following.” (They’re small!) My metabolism was faster back then…

2 Likes

That would get you classified as a “veggie freak” by the staff (at least that would have a decade or two ago - not sure if they still use the same term).

Always loved the ability to get a side order of spaghetti and french fries, regardless of what I got for dinner - even if it was a pasta dish!

I had dinner there back in the fall, pretty sure the day our football team played Michigan. I stopped at the bar in the back for a beer because I still had time before I needed to head to the hockey game. I asked the bartender if she knew you. She asked “you mean the guy who does the magic tricks?”.

1 Like

When I worked there I remember this older couple ordering chef’s salads (which weren’t exactly fine cuisine) and ordering every side dish. And those two ate every bite. Unfortunately I believe that dinner bill was about $12 back then, so not really worth the effort as a waiter.

:mage:

I used to use the cocktail waitresses as subjects to perfect my new tricks. Sadly, the bar doesn’t do enough business these days to keep a cocktail waitress on (other than big weekends like football games). I’m still searching for the right hangout to practice new tricks in public (performing in front of a mirror only partially works).

I do still occasionally do a trick or two there though, so many of the employees still know I do magic… In fact, they actually keep a top hat behind the bar for me, so I can perform this particular trick (instead of putting the card on a table, I put it in the top hat).