The streak is still alive

56 years and P*tt still has not been to a Final Four more recently than Penn State. ;D

Haha yeah!

Over under of 10 posts before someone bashes ED.

I’d take Ed over that damn Jamie Dixon any day. Pitt has to be cheating and running a dirty program. It’s cold in Pgh and they compete with Robert Morris, Duquesne etc. Something is just plain stinky about their success ;D

[quote="laoDan, post:3, topic:1019"]Over under of 10 posts before someone bashes ED.[/quote] I'd take Ed over that damn Jamie Dixon any day. Pitt has to be cheating and running a dirty program. It's cold in Pgh and they compete with Robert Morris, Duquesne etc. Something is just plain stinky about their success ;D

Because Jaime Dixon wouldn’t laugh in your face when you offered him the job. :-X ::slight_smile:

How did Howland ever turn that program around? They have no tradition :wink:

I remember Howland’s ~itt’s team being routed at PSU. Howland did not inherent great talent. Plus I think, he threw the 2 best players (2 forwards, can’t remember their names) off the team.
Howland did it the old fashioned way. He recruited well (but NOT 5 star) and he coached the heck out of the players. Dixon has continued the same formula. ~itt has played solid defensive oriented team ball under their tenure.
~itt games were not hugely attented. Even in the smaller ~itt Field House. BUT, as the team won the bandwagon jumpers were MANY! The students became a huge part of the fan base. ~itt Zoo Tee shirts are everywhere in Pgh.
It’s the same formula that can work at PSU.

see…NO Ed bashing.

Why couldn’t Gibbs knock down that 3 at the end? :frowning:

[quote=“noobd, post:8, topic:1019”]Why couldn’t Gibbs knock down that 3 at the end? :([/quote]I don’t know but Buie would have! Ask Kid ;D

Pitt just does a great job of bringing in those NYC players, from what I understand.

I just like that the team with 8 bigs are down to 2 and the conference with 5 bids is down to 3. Which conference was better??

Orlando Antigua was a big part of that. He is now at UK with Cal. They still have a lot of NJ/NYC players, so hopefully it continues for them. They have hit Baltimore/DC really hard in recent years as well. Smart on their part, hitting Philly, Baltimore/DC, and NYC. I actually really like watching Pitt play. Have since Howland turned that program around.

Crazy how some last minute heroics can lead to a final determination of what conference was better. What happens if MSU doesn’t hit the game winner and Texas A&M does? You are not the only person saying this, so this isn’t really directed at you.

The NCAA tournament is just one factor when debating conference vs. conference. That being said, the Big East has underperformed this year. THAT being said, the BE was down this year (4 Elite 8 teams last year, 2 Final Four teams… Nova knocked off Pitt in the Elite 8).

Going into the season, if someone was to say the Big 10 would have 3 Sweet 16 teams (specifically Purdue, MSU and OSU) I would not be surprised… although Purdue has impressed, since they are Hummel-less.

I’m assuming you are a B10 advocate. Big whoop, the B10 placed 3 Sweet 16 teams in a year that was deemed by many to “be one of the best in a long time”, the B10 was supposed to be by far the best conference, etc. We’ll see how MSU does against UNI, OSU does against the Vols, and Purdue does against Duke. I predicting loss, win, loss.

What has really surprised me is that the B12 only has 2 Sweet 16 teams (Baylor, KState). They were arguably the best conference this season, and they only have 2 Sweet 16 teams… really surprising.

Credit the Mid-Majors who have 5 Sweet 16 teams (Butler, St Marys, Cornell, Xavier and Northern Iowa) for knocking the BCS conferences down a peg (St Marys > Nova, UNI > Kansas, Cornell > Wisky, Xavier > Pitt + Minnesota).

If you want to put the NCAA tournament at the forefront of conference rankings, then the BCS schools as a whole were relatively week this year since they obtained only 11 of the Sweet 16 spots (6 conferences unless I counted wrong).

[quote="PSUdraw, post:11, topic:1019"]I just like that the team with 8 bigs are down to 2 and the conference with 5 bids is down to 3. Which conference was better??[/quote] The NCAA tournament is just one factor when debating conference vs. conference. That being said, the Big East has underperformed this year. THAT being said, the BE was down this year (4 Elite 8 teams last year, 2 Final Four teams... Nova knocked off Pitt in the Elite 8).

Going into the season, if someone was to say the Big 10 would have 3 Sweet 16 teams (specifically Purdue, MSU and OSU) I would not be surprised… although Purdue has impressed, since they are Hummel-less.

I’m assuming you are a B10 advocate. Big whoop, the B10 placed 3 Sweet 16 teams in a year that was deemed by many to “be one of the best in a long time”, the B10 was supposed to be by far the best conference, etc. We’ll see how MSU does against UNI, OSU does against the Vols, and Purdue does against Duke. I predicting loss, win, loss.

What has really surprised me is that the B12 only has 2 Sweet 16 teams (Baylor, KState). They were arguably the best conference this season, and they only have 2 Sweet 16 teams… really surprising.

Credit the Mid-Majors who have 5 Sweet 16 teams (Butler, St Marys, Cornell, Xavier and Northern Iowa) for knocking the BCS conferences down a peg (St Marys > Nova, UNI > Kansas, Cornell > Wisky, Xavier > Pitt + Minnesota).

If you want to put the NCAA tournament at the forefront of conference rankings, then the BCS schools as a whole were relatively week this year since they obtained only 11 of the Sweet 16 spots (6 conferences unless I counted wrong).

True but the PAC 10 was considered worse then few mid major conferences. For PAC 10 to get one team into the sweet 16 would be considered near miracle when the bracket came out.

Isn’t even more impressive that Purdue & MSU getting this far with the late season injuries they have accumulated. Purdue with Hummel could been in a lot final 4 brackets. I am definitely interested to see the next games with the big ten. I do agree OSU is most likely to win but I am not going to count out Sparty and the Boilers.

[quote="noobd, post:8, topic:1019"]Why couldn't Gibbs knock down that 3 at the end? :([/quote]I don't know but Buie would have! Ask Kid ;D

Never said he was a 3 machine. Not really his game. More like Manny Harris, an inside the arc player.