PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

The stage is being set for PSU to be a hoops school

Chambers and the basketball team are making moves at the precise time PSU fans need something to distract their attention from this mess. If Chambers can have this team competing with middle of the pack B10 within 3 years, the fan base may be more willing to jump on board. There are going to be a lot of PSU fans who are too fed up with the football shenanigans to follow the team. Perhaps, basketball could serve as an outlet for fans to be proud of and cheer for.

This isn’t the way I’d ever like to see this happen, but just taking a different look at the situation.

I don’t think Penn State will ever be a basketball school. If we were going to be really good this year it might have been an excellent chance, but I don’t see us making a big enough splash for it to matter.

I think it’s far more likely that people will simply tune out from big-time sports altogether. Except a major lower of emphasis in terms of budgets, marketing, hype, scale, etc.

Not to be too sarcastic, but the stage is being set for lots of the branch campuses to go out of business, and for Penn State to de-emphasize sports entirely. The stage is being set to maybe exit the Big Ten

But I believe that eventually the focus of this case will end up on the Second Mile and not Penn State.

[quote=“psuarva, post:4, topic:2803”]Not to be too sarcastic, but the stage is being set for lots of the branch campuses to go out of business, and for Penn State to de-emphasize sports entirely. The stage is being set to maybe exit the Big Ten

But I believe that eventually the focus of this case will end up on the Second Mile and not Penn State.[/quote]

Your comment about the branch campuses caught my eye. Why do you say they might be going out of business? It seems to me that at least some of the branches are expanding to relieve pressure on UP.

I think we are still in too much shock to fully grasp what this has done and will do.

Best we can hope for is that our leaders’ actions here on out demonstrate clearly that it is a place where people do the right things, damn the consequences.

Looking back at the net arithmetic around “all the good we’ve done” is not going to be in itself, or even in large part, persuasive.

[quote=“psuarva, post:4, topic:2803”]Not to be too sarcastic, but the stage is being set for lots of the branch campuses to go out of business, and for Penn State to de-emphasize sports entirely. The stage is being set to maybe exit the Big Ten

But I believe that eventually the focus of this case will end up on the Second Mile and not Penn State.[/quote]

I don’t think any of this will happen other than the Second Mile part. Merely my opinion, no real reasoning.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a change with the Commonwealth Campus system. It really needs to be looked at.

I really don’t think this is likely. Too much money involved with respect to Football golden goose.

Although, there is potential for a short term vacuum at the top of the athletic food chain at PSU.

PC could rise to fill that spot. He’s got the persona for it.
Of course there are Rose, Sanderson, Washington and others with similar potential.

[quote=“Speed, post:9, topic:2803”]PC could rise to fill that spot. He’s got the persona for it.
Of course there are Rose, Sanderson, Washington and others with similar potential.[/quote]

I’m sorry but I really don’t think PSU has any chance of becoming a Women’s Volleyball, a Wrestling or a Women’s Basketball school.

I can only hope that we could become a Hoops School

It breaks two ways in my mind.

Either the worst case:
What I am calling Boston scenario where rumors of the 2nd Mile being a pedophile syndicate are true.

OR:
It was just the act of an isolated questionably dirty man with PSU mishandling it, which would be the best case going forward.

If the Boston scenario happens then we will likely be forced to follow the University of Chicago model but with a few exceptions. Basketball and Hockey could be saved by joining with the Basketball only teams in the Big East and Hockey wresting and volleyball could be saved by staying in the Big 10. But if football is to be played again in central PA it would have to be under the auspices of the NFL as a co-op or something of that nature not under PSU control. Otherwise dynamite the stadium and the Lasch building. Again that is if it comes true that the larger State College community set up allowed an organization to cover as many as 200 pedophiles and football was its shield. This is the worst case scenario that I have seen reported rumored on talk radio. Problem is in Boston the worst case scenario actually happened. I can only hope its not going to be true this time. We would basically become the UMass Amherst of PA. Not bad after about 10 years actually once the stench leaves the place.

Otherwise if it is, as we hope, just Sandusky playing all of us or even was innocent, then we are certainly in for a few rough years in all sports and as a school. I know of a friend who was ready to turn in a Grad app who now won’t even consider PSU even though I made it clear that in one year it will be a clean house run by academics only. I am still a fan of joining the ACC perhaps as a cleanse and to allow the Big 10 to scrub Joe off of various trophies and awards. But otherwise I think the break up of the Big East will allow Chambers to have limited success anyway. Before this happened I thought he might have no problem getting us into a consistently top 25 force with perhaps a final 4 berth. I still think he will actually be more successful than our past 20 years which would not be hard and might be well received. The problem now is that he might just leave for greener pastures rather than ride this place straight to the top.

Either way Bball should be able to muddle along at a slightly better success rate then the last 20 years which were exceptionally bad for a school of this size and caliber.

This is literally the only silver lining I see other that the clean out of the non transparent admin.