PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

"The rest of the team"

I want to put a few stats out there. It’s neither positive nor negative, it’s just an evaluation of the bench’s contribution this past season and what will be returning.

We will break down the stats, using the 5 starters, and all the bench players, who we will lump into 1 category titles TROTT (The Rest of the Team). This will not include Kirkpatrick, who is not returning.

BIG TEN STATISTICS…

Brooks 244
Jackson 188
Jones 115
Frazier 110
TROTT 109

REBOUNDS
Brooks 96
Jones 91
Jackson 87
Frazier 72
Battle 67
TROTT 55

ASSISTS
Frazier 99
Battle 57
Brooks 31
TROTT 20
Jackson 13
Jones 11

STEALS
Battle 16
Frazier 16
TROTT 15
Brooks 14
Jackson 10
Jones 5

BLOCKS
Brooks 25
TROTT 5
Jackson 4
Frazier 2
Jones 1
Battle 0

PERSONAL FOULS
TROTT 67
Jones 55
Frazier 49
Jackson 44
Brooks 37
Battle 32

MINUTES
Battle 700
Jackson 605
Brooks 592
Frazier 580
TROTT 572
Jones 527

FREE THROW ATTEMPTS
Battle 93
Frazier 45
Brooks 40
Jones 36
Jackson 35
TROTT 35

Well, hopefully Trott improves for next season. He’d fit in well beside Tre, Trey, Timmy and Travis

TROTT just has to “take it to the hoop” more… :wink:

I know the blocked shot is a stat that is usually dismissed as unimportant but how could Jones with his size only have 1 block this season?

Brooks kept hogging all of them.

Yeah, that stat is a real head shaker. I have never thought of blocked shots as unimportant, specifically when you are talking about a 6’10" post player.
I don’t think that it would be a stretch to suggest that AJ just set the single season College Hoops record for:
“Season"
fewest blocked shots for players 6’10” and above during final season of a 5 year starter.

I liked that Andrew was singled out by ED the other night on BTN for his game-winning put back against Illinois, because ED said he has been a great kid and an important member of the team whose contributions can get overlooked.

He did shoulder that load, didn’t he?

The one thing I really like about the Trott kid is that he fits in well with our players-whose-names-start-with-t theme.

Exactly what I was thinking.

How about “Trytoreadthethreadbeforeposting”? That starts with a “T”.

[quote="bstanf, post:9, topic:2290"]The one thing I really like about the Trott kid is that he fits in well with our players-whose-names-start-with-t theme.[/quote] How about "Trytoreadthethreadbeforeposting"? That starts with a "T".

Unfortunately, “Hesjustrunningwiththejoke” doesn’t

That TROTT guy got a lot of bad pub this year that to me, should rest on Ed’s shoulders. Ed’s unwillingness to use the bench is just mind-boggling. I know I beat the drum over & over again about Marshall’s PT, but lets take a close look at it one more time:

On Jan 1 he goes for 18 points against Purdue in 28 minutes of play. He follows it with 8 points in 19 minutes against Michigan State 3 days later. But then a couple days later against Illinois he only gets 8 minutes, followed by 5 minutes against Ohio St, only 2 minutes against Purdue, and pretty much inconsequential minutes for the rest of the season.

???

Our lack of bench production has more to do with Ed than the kids sitting on the bench.

[quote=“TomF, post:13, topic:2290”]That TROTT guy got a lot of bad pub this year that to me, should rest on Ed’s shoulders. Ed’s unwillingness to use the bench is just mind-boggling. I know I beat the drum over & over again about Marshall’s PT, but lets take a close look at it one more time:

On Jan 1 he goes for 18 points against Purdue in 28 minutes of play. He follows it with 8 points in 19 minutes against Michigan State 3 days later. But then a couple days later against Illinois he only gets 8 minutes, followed by 5 minutes against Ohio St, only 2 minutes against Purdue, and pretty much inconsequential minutes for the rest of the season.

???

Our lack of bench production has more to do with Ed than the kids sitting on the bench.[/quote]

Agreed TomF…I also scratch my head over ED’s shortsightedness in going for short term gains (individual wins) over long term team building (better results down the road, or protecting yourself against injuries and foul trouble later in the season). But when one’s back is up against the wall as ED’s has been, you go with what comforts you and four seniors getting the mother-load is what comforts ED.

Next year’s stats for total minutes in Big Ten regular season games:

TROTT: 3600
Battle, Brooks, DJ, Jones: Zero

So I’m sure TROTT’s numbers will go up a bit. :slight_smile:

Compare to VCU where Shaka Smart played 11 out of the 14 guys on the roster in 25 games or more while 1 played in 18.

Coaching youth sports I’ve learned that all coaches have different philosophies. I personally like to give all the kids on the team a chance to build up their confidence and self-esteem by putting them all in pressure situations to see how they react. Many times, the one’s you don’t think will do all that much, surprise the heck out of you (Marshall’s 18 vs Purdue for instance) and build upon that. It’s happening now with my baseball team.

Also, I will jeopardize regular season wins sometimes just to further build up the team. Has it worked? I’d say four straight championships in very competitive football/baseball leagues speak for my methods. In fact, while other coaches are getting their rocks off by beating me by maxing out their top 2 or 3 players in the field, I’m playing all 11 in different positions including pitcher and “losing” to those teams by one run. When I finally decide to lock-it-down on those suckers, then they’ll finally understand why this method works over maxing out your studs in every single game of the regular season.

There’s a lot less pressure on the studs of the team to feel like they have to do everything, when players 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and even 11 (in VCU’s case) can contribute their part. That comes with playing time over the course of the entire season, leading up to the playoffs. Rely on one or two and you have what happened to Jeff Brooks with his shoulder that inevitably will doom a team that lacks the proper depth.

ED has a great opportunity to spread the wealth next season as beyond Timmy Frazier there are no must-play-35-minute guys on this team. At least none that I see right now. But we all know ED’s philosophy and he’ll eventually settle on his six or seven to carry him through the season and hope and pray that everyone remains healthy and out of foul trouble.

Just keepin’ it real.

And I’m sure if ED played 11 guys in at least 25 games, some would be on here suggesting that he ought to shorten his bench like Ohio State to win more.

There are multiple proven ways to skin this cat.

Yes and ED is definitely not unique in that regard. Somebody on TV mentioned that a lot of top college teams settle down to a 7-8 man rotation once they get to the meat of their schedule.

ED has a great opportunity to spread the wealth next season as beyond Timmy Frazier there are no must-play-35-minute guys on this team. At least none that I see right now. But we all know ED's philosophy and he'll eventually settle on his six or seven to carry him through the season and hope and pray that everyone remains healthy and out of foul trouble.

We will get a chance to see over the next 2 years if ED was doing that because of what he had as well as the pressure to get the team to the tournament or because he truly subscribes to that kind of thinking.

At least on paper, it looks like the talent on the roster is somewhat even and nobody except Frazier has any significant experience edge. Also, the expectations for next season are fairly low even for Penn State standards. This is an ideal opportunity to expand the rotation.

[quote="lionfan99, post:15, topic:2290"]Compare to VCU where Shaka Smart played 11 out of the 14 guys on the roster in 25 games or more while 1 played in 18.[/quote]

And I’m sure if ED played 11 guys in at least 25 games, some would be on here suggesting that he ought to shorten his bench like Ohio State to win more.

There are multiple proven ways to skin this cat.

No question. I was mentioning VCU as a point of contrast, not promoting it as the ideal approach to follow. They are the only team that I know of that has such a deep rotation throughout the season.

That TROTT guy got a lot of bad pub this year that to me, should rest on Ed's shoulders. Ed's unwillingness to use the bench is just mind-boggling. I know I beat the drum over & over again about Marshall's PT, but lets take a close look at it one more time:

???

Our lack of bench production has more to do with Ed than the kids sitting on the bench.

Agreed TomF…I also scratch my head over ED’s shortsightedness in going for short term gains (individual wins) over long term team building (better results down the road, or protecting yourself against injuries and foul trouble later in the season). But when one’s back is up against the wall as ED’s has been, you go with what comforts you and four seniors getting the mother-load is what comforts ED.

What’s really puzzling to me is that it doesn’t appear to me to even get any short term gain. Marshall produced in those two games at the beginning of the Big Ten season. And then never really got an opportunity to produce again until tournament time (when he again seemed to play pretty well).