The Question is:

1. Do we build upon last night’s win and beat Michigan (a team we know we can play with and we know we should have beaten at home)?

2. Do we lay an egg against Michigan?

What does everyone think?

I think we’ll play pretty well again, but Michigan will be hitting their 3’s and we’ll lose a close one. Just a hunch…

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:860”]1. Do we build upon last night’s win and beat Michigan (a team we know we can play with and we know we should have beaten at home)?

1. Do we lay an egg against Michigan?

What does everyone think?[/quote]

I don’t expect an egg since we haven’t really been laying eggs in individual games this season. Michigan is such a hot and cold team this season, and I think it’s inevitable that Sims will get 15-20. The key is their 3 point shooting, if they can shoot under 30% then I think we have a good shot. If they shoot 50% then we’ll lose by double digits. Something that we need to continue to do a better job on is recognizing who are the shooters and who aren’t. They have a few guys that we can help off of, however we better not be leaving their shooters to help on Sims.

The key to the game is Simms. We hold him to his average or below and we win. He is averaging almost 18 a game. Last game he had 25. We keep him to between 15-18 and I think we have a really good chance to beat UM. That is your task if you chose to accept it Agents Jones & Ott.

I’ll use history over emotions. Ed has won on the road 11 times in 7 years. That puts us at about 1.5 wins per year on the road. It depends if we round up or down, but I say the odds of back to back on the road will not happen. We also won’t see that 1-3-1 zone so the odds are against us.

We’ve played well on the road this year. Hasn’t translated into wins yet…YET!! We win this game.

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:860”]1. Do we build upon last night’s win and beat Michigan (a team we know we can play with and we know we should have beaten at home)?

1. Do we lay an egg against Michigan?

What does everyone think?[/quote]

Glad you started this, cause I was thinking along same lines.

IMO, it really relies on DJ, Jones, Brooks, and whether they continue to play in the paint, particularly Jones and Brooks. Did they do it last night cause Ed pounded them to do so(good sign) or if NW was weak and they took advantage of it(maybe bad sign). IMO, they should go inside vs. all Big 10 teams. Even Mirkovic got JaJuan Johnson in foul trouble, sending him to the bench. He had 16 points and 10 rebouinds vs. Purdue. Did we do that vs. Purdue? Why not?

So my question is:

Will our bigs continue to go inside to score, or will they go back to jumpers cause they’re afraid of Sims?

DJ can shoot, but the other two need to be inside, back to the basket, IMO. It’s the best part of their games. Do we really need to see Jones elbowing guys in the face(almost 3X in a row) at the top of the key? Or Ott there as well looking uncertain with the ball? Yes, it’s part of the offense, but I’d minimize them getting the ball outside the arc, and maximize their receiving the ball inside.

I don’t think we’ll lay an egg. We didn’t rollover at Wisc, Pur and OSU I doubt we’d do it coming off of a win. It’ll be close and if we make a few basketball plays down the stretch we may come out with a win. The fact that UM is out of the NCAA picture should help minimize some of the homer calls.

Talor Battle is angry - Penn State wins. :wink:

IF I was looking for betting trends, I would look at this one… We almost always seem to do better against teams the 2nd time around when we’ve lost the 1st game at the BJC. (Think Wisky this year as an example). This is particularly true if the BJC game was a blow-out (which the UM game was not). I think the other team gets a little complacent if they’ve already notched a road W against us. Given this team’s ability to play equally well (or lousy?) on the road, and the fact that the first game was ours for the first 30 minutes, I think this is an opportunity.

Of course, on their own floor, they could come out of the gates hot and have a 20 pt lead at the half… who knows ???

My gut says that PSU will defeat Michigan. My head says we lose a tight one. Lately, I find it hard to discern which feeling is good and which is bad. :’(

We will win this game 21% of the time.

(70) Michigan L, 65-58 60 21% Away
:wink:

I think it will be close. I think we win.

I honestly believe that we’ll beat Michigan and that was before last night. Michigan has a tendency to have terrible shooting nights and for some reason I’ve felt that one will come against us. We’ll see.

I think we win one or 2 more games. I’m not the biggest ED fan, but he did a great job of not burying Jones/Brooks. Both of them played well last night, and ED deserves credit for ensuring that they didn’t go into the tank after losing their starting jobs.

We win.
Just because we are due to win a couple.
I really believe that we are better than 1-17 or 2-16, way better.

@Michigan W
vs OSU W
vs NW W
@ MSU L
vs Purdue W

Call me crazy.

I know I’m always overly optimistic (it’s the only thing that keeps most of us coming back to the forum).

Over the past few seasons, our hoops team has usually finished the season pretty strong. Here’s how we finished the end of each BIG TEN season…

08-09: Started 6-6, finish with a 4-2 run, and we all know about the 5 straight in the NIT
07-08: Started 4-10, finished with a 3-1 run
06-07: Started 1-13, finished with a 1-1 run ( :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: )
05-06: Started 3-8, finished with a 3-2 run

…no conclusions are being made, I just find it interesting that over the past few years almost half of our BT wins came in the last 4 or 5 games of the year.

Gives a little hope.

[quote=“Speed, post:16, topic:860”]We win.
Just because we are due to win a couple.
I really believe that we are better than 1-17 or 2-16, way better.

@Michigan W
vs OSU W
vs NW W
@ MSU L
vs Purdue W

Call me crazy.
CRAZY[/quote]

I also expect a win against Michigan. I consider the win vs cats a building block. I think a lightbulb went off with the entire team. The game plan was quite different than any other game PSU played this year. I realize that NW personnel may have prompted this. But inside play was best all year. Seemed to me that PSU was willing and able to make that extra pass to find open player. Battle was often the player making that last pass. Battle played very unselfish and the team responded. I saw more dribble drive penetration than any other game this year. Jones showed emotion on the court and I think that is something that was lacking, not just in his game, but probably most others. PSU finally figured out how to win a 40 minute game, not a 30 minute game. I think that will really translate to a strong finish to the season.

I’m seriously considering the 2 hour drive to AA to see the game. Not sure if I can convince the wife to make the trip. Anyone on this board going?

[quote=“Mrm170, post:19, topic:860”]I also expect a win against Michigan. I consider the win vs cats a building block. I think a lightbulb went off with the entire team. The game plan was quite different than any other game PSU played this year. I realize that NW personnel may have prompted this. But inside play was best all year. Seemed to me that PSU was willing and able to make that extra pass to find open player. Battle was often the player making that last pass. Battle played very unselfish and the team responded. I saw more dribble drive penetration than any other game this year. Jones showed emotion on the court and I think that is something that was lacking, not just in his game, but probably most others. PSU finally figured out how to win a 40 minute game, not a 30 minute game. I think that will really translate to a strong finish to the season.

I’m seriously considering the 2 hour drive to AA to see the game. Not sure if I can convince the wife to make the trip. Anyone on this board going? [/quote]

I’m not going, but if I lived 2 hours away I would be. Go for it!