PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

The Penn State Basketball Story Debuts Sunday

First of eight episodes scheduled for the 2011-12 season to air nationally on BTN on Tuesday

Cool, I’ll be watching 8)

It’ll be interesting to see how this changes next year now that Mind Over Media is out.

I am sensing rebranding coming. Not like changes to the uniforms but something that goes back to some old roots.

Hadn’t heard about this. Just for basketball? Or are they out altogether?

It'll be interesting to see how this changes next year now that Mind Over Media is out.

Guido and his staff are out along with Mind Over Media.

[quote="Tom, post:3, topic:2913"]It'll be interesting to see how this changes next year now that Mind Over Media is out.[/quote]

For those looking for more information: http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2012/2/27/2829271/penn-state-marketing-guru-guido-delia-let-go

As suggested by other posters elsewhere, just hire the people who produce BTN’s “The Journey.” Best “inside college basketball” show on TV.

[quote="Tom, post:3, topic:2913"]It'll be interesting to see how this changes next year now that Mind Over Media is out.[/quote]

As suggested by other posters elsewhere, just hire the people who produce BTN’s “The Journey.” Best “inside college basketball” show on TV.

Isn’t Big Ten rolling out secondary channels for each school in the future? Or was that one those wild internet rumors?

Does anyone know when Mind Over Media began producing the Penn State Basketball Story - or have they been their since Day 1?

Definitely haven’t been since Day 1. I think WPSU/X used to do it.

Isn’t Big Ten rolling out secondary channels for each school in the future? Or was that one those wild internet rumors?

Wild internet rumor.

For those looking for more information: http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2012/2/27/2829271/penn-state-marketing-guru-guido-delia-let-go

Information is still leaking out.

“Fight On State is reporting that Guido D’Elia, the man in charge of Football Communications and Branding at Penn State, was “let go” from his position today.”

If true, I say PC should hire him and put him in charge of Basketball Communications and Branding.

All kidding aside, Guido only took the job as a favor for Paterno. As soon as Joe died, I expected him to return to his company in Pittsburgh. If he was just let go, I’m sure it was a mutual decision, if not one initiated by Guido. However, if Mind Over Media’s contract was ended too, then there’s something else going on here.

I was really surprised to hear that Tommy Venturino was also let go by the football program (though he’s still working for the university).

OB brought in his own guy pretty much from day one. No real surprise at all.

I was really surprised to hear that Tommy Venturino was also let go by the football program (though he's still working for the university).

Yeah I hear New England had a really good video team up there. :wink:
I was really surprised to hear that Tommy Venturino was also let go by the football program (though he's still working for the university).

Didn’t realize that. I saw him sitting with LJ Sr. in the press conference and thought he was staying on board.

[quote="frats, post:14, topic:2913"]I was really surprised to hear that Tommy Venturino was also let go by the football program (though he's still working for the university).[/quote]

Didn’t realize that. I saw him sitting with LJ Sr. in the press conference and thought he was staying on board.

I believe he was helping with the day to day logistics stuff while Jim Bernhardt was doing more work in support of OB himself while OB was still with the Patriots.

Im wondering why in the age of youtube they are getting ride of the PSU football story. Seemed to be well done and easy to distribute on youtube.

If Pat does have some fun money than perhaps. Some of his ideas would work better for Bball then at Beaver Stadium. But sometimes you have to let someone go just to keep things fresh. I am sure Bill Obrien can get a guy or 2 from The Patriots. (Which means lots of Bon Jovi.)

Also has anyone heard if they canceled the New Beaver Stadium Scoreboards for this fall? I Think Gudio was involved in that as well.

[quote=“charnold, post:19, topic:2913”]Im wondering why in the age of youtube they are getting ride of the PSU football story. Seemed to be well done and easy to distribute on youtube.

If Pat does have some fun money than perhaps. Some of his ideas would work better for Bball then at Beaver Stadium. But sometimes you have to let someone go just to keep things fresh. I am sure Bill Obrien can get a guy or 2 from The Patriots. (Which means lots of Bon Jovi.)

Also has anyone heard if they canceled the New Beaver Stadium Scoreboards for this fall? I Think Gudio was involved in that as well.[/quote]

They aren’t necessarily getting rid of the PSU Football Story - they are getting rid of the outfit that is currently producing it. There’s a bit of a difference in those two things.

My educated guess is that it’s a power play by Learfield Sports to get more control over the Penn State media rights. Learfield had an uncomfortable arrangement with Mind Over Media. They basically let MOM run with the Football Story show because Guido’s guys did a pretty good job with a show that had zero participation by the head coach. Now that Joe is gone, Guido’s power is severely diminished. Learfield expects that O’Brien will want to do a more typical coach’s show. As the holder of those rights, they want to manage that production first hand.