PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

The next 5

The stretch of 5 ranked opponents is officially behind us, which was also the most difficult part of our schedule. We come out of that stretch at 2-3 in heartbreaking fashion. To be NCAA worthy, the general consensus is that this team needs to be 10-8 or thereabouts to be right on the bubble, with a BTT win to be lock-city.

The next 5:
vs. Iowa
vs. Wisconsin
@ Illinois
vs. Michigan
@ Sparty

3 games at home…two of them vs. the bottom two in the conference. We also get three more ranked opponents in this stretch, with a chance to steal another scalp on the road against teams we have already beaten. We sit at 3-4 and 8th in the conference right now, but I see 3-2 or possibly 4-1 out of these next 5. This is a team which has gone into the buildings of two straight elite 8 contenders and come within inches of knocking them off. I think this team can absolutely take all of the games at home, and think that this is the year we finally knock off Bo. 4-1 would put us at 7-5 heading into the final third of the season. 3-2 puts us back into the tournament conversation as well, but we’d have some work to do to get to 10-8.

Iowa and Michigan are absolute musts. Taking one out of three against the ranked opponents is a must too.

W
L
L
W
L

I know they are a little down this year but I just can’t predict a W vs Wisky. They just seem to give us the most problems . Great coach, great system, play hard , I really don’t know exactly what but they just give us nothing but probs.

NO perdictions. But, one comment. We might be more able to deal with the Wisconsin style of play this year. We are playing a very tight rotation and pretty solid basketball. A slower game should not negatively effect PSU this season.

[quote=“battlesway2, post:2, topic:1808”]W
L
L
W
L

I know they are a little down this year but I just can’t predict a W vs Wisky. They just seem to give us the most problems . Great coach, great system, play hard , I really don’t know exactly what but they just give us nothing but probs.[/quote]

But I must ask…Are we really dealing with the same Penn State team that has had all those problems with Wisconsin in the past? And what about 60-52 with under two minutes to play in Mad-town last season. PSU nearly had that game in the bag. Oh, but we are missing the key cog in Andrew Ott :slight_smile:

Even though we are playing teams closely and I really believe in this team, I still have a hard time seeing us get to 3-2 during this stretch. For all the talk about the 5-game stretch we faced, the three tough ones in this group of 5 are just as difficult in my opinion. And we have absolutely zero room for error against the bad teams on the schedule.

2-3 makes us 5-7, meaning we would have to go 5-1 the rest of the way to get to our 10 win target. Not likely. Even 3-2 makes things tough.

I’m telling you, that loss last night is going to cost us in a big way. I’m as upset with the call as I am with the lack of outrage over it. Nothing you can do to change it I suppose, but we can certainly make it become well-known that we got screwed out of a win that we deserved. Put the idea out there in the heads of anybody who will listen.

3 wins are a must but I think 4 is a real possibility

[quote="battlesway2, post:2, topic:1808"]W L L W L

I know they are a little down this year but I just can’t predict a W vs Wisky. They just seem to give us the most problems . Great coach, great system, play hard , I really don’t know exactly what but they just give us nothing but probs.[/quote]

But I must ask…Are we really dealing with the same Penn State team that has had all those problems with Wisconsin in the past? And what about 60-52 with under two minutes to play in Mad-town last season. PSU nearly had that game in the bag. Oh, but we are missing the key cog in Andrew Ott :slight_smile:

Just out of curiosity I checked out 2 of our “better” teams in the 2000’s. Our NIT Title team got swept by them and our Sweet 16 got beat by them in the 1 meeting that year. To say we have probs with Wisk is an understatement. Maybe this year that will change ;D Why the hell not

I have a hard time looking past the next 2 games because that Wisconsin game looms so large.
Wisconsin typically half-court executes Penn State to death, although in last year’s game at the Kohl Center, Penn State also had a 16-point lead at the with under 12 min remaining, and Battle missed a 3 that would have won the game at the end of regulation. The 08-09 NIT team lost by 10 at home to Wisky in front of the largest crowd at the BJC in 8 years. Hopefully there will be a similarly large crowd there for a 4pm Saturday game. Wisconsin plays in Evanston on Sunday and then has 5 days off before facing PSU - perhaps they’ll be a little rusty (save that one for the positive vibes thread).

Just out of curiosity I checked out 2 of our “better” teams in the 2000’s. Our NIT Title team got swept by them and our Sweet 16 got beat by them in the 1 meeting that year. To say we have probs with Wisk is an understatement. Maybe this year that will change ;D Why the hell not

“WE ARE (NOT)…PENN STATE”

Please don’t get confused with the 2001 team or the 2009 team. This team is very different. Those teams (sans Joe Crispin and Jamelle Cornley) didn’t believe they could beat Wisconsin. This team collectively knows they can beat Wisconsin or anyone who they step out onto the floor with.

I’m probably in the minority here in being more concerned about the NW, Minnesota and Michigan home games, in that PSU will be expected to win. It takes on an entirely different feeling to be the favorite, than to go into games knowing that you have nothing to lose. In those games, they’ll have everything to lose and little to gain, other than winning the games they need to win.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:5, topic:1808”]Even though we are playing teams closely and I really believe in this team, I still have a hard time seeing us get to 3-2 during this stretch. For all the talk about the 5-game stretch we faced, the three tough ones in this group of 5 are just as difficult in my opinion. And we have absolutely zero room for error against the bad teams on the schedule.

2-3 makes us 5-7, meaning we would have to go 5-1 the rest of the way to get to our 10 win target. Not likely. Even 3-2 makes things tough.

I’m telling you, that loss last night is going to cost us in a big way. I’m as upset with the call as I am with the lack of outrage over it. Nothing you can do to change it I suppose, but we can certainly make it become well-known that we got screwed out of a win that we deserved. Put the idea out there in the heads of anybody who will listen. [/quote]

After the way this team has performed in the last 4 games, I do not doubt them in any game whatsoever. I think they have a good chance to win any one of them.

They got blown out at home against Purdue. I stated that they do not have any chance of beating them on Wednesday. The team that played on Wednesday is light years better than the one who played Purdue 2 weeks prior.

Frazier is playing great. Brooks is channeling Cline-Heard. Jones and Jackson are playing really well. …and Battle is still Battle.

Time to pick up some wins. We played pretty well in our last four games and we were in each and every one of them. If we can continue to play like that we should do pretty well in our next 5 games.

“WE ARE (NOT)…PENN STATE”

Please don’t get confused with the 2001 team or the 2009 team. This team is very different. Those teams (sans Joe Crispin and Jamelle Cornley) didn’t believe they could beat Wisconsin. This team collectively knows they can beat Wisconsin or anyone who they step out onto the floor with.

I’m probably in the minority here in being more concerned about the NW, Minnesota and Michigan home games, in that PSU will be expected to win. It takes on an entirely different feeling to be the favorite, than to go into games knowing that you have nothing to lose. In those games, they’ll have everything to lose and little to gain, other than winning the games they need to win.

Both Minny and NW have played well this year and are in front of us in the standings. Not sure we have little to gain in those home games.

I guess since we are dealing with Penn State basketball any win can be seen as a “gain”.

But since this team has now climbed to the mountaintop of Big Ten basketball and at least garnered a glance at the sights, these three home games (and Iowa as well, of course) become games they must win if they plan to Dance. You almost have to put them down as "W"s or all momentum and maybe all hope will be lost.

In other words, they win, they don’t gain much. They lose, they lose a ton.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:13, topic:1808”]I guess since we are dealing with Penn State basketball any win can be seen as a “gain”.

But since this team has now climbed to the mountaintop of Big Ten basketball and at least garnered a glance at the sights, these three home games (and Iowa as well, of course) become games they must win if they plan to Dance. You almost have to put them down as "W"s or all momentum and maybe all hope will be lost.

In other words, they win, they don’t gain much. They lose, they lose a ton.[/quote]

It would be nice to win 3 out of the next 4. 2-2 wouldn’t be the end of the world either though. Holding serve at home in the next two games would give the road game at Illinois a big game feel. We must be ready for Iowa, and hopefully we use the week off to rest up and stay sharp. After Iowa, 7 out of our last 10 games are against teams currently ranked in the top 25.

W
W
L
W
Toss up

[quote="Craftsy21, post:5, topic:1808"]Even though we are playing teams closely and I really believe in this team, I still have a hard time seeing us get to 3-2 during this stretch. For all the talk about the 5-game stretch we faced, the three tough ones in this group of 5 are just as difficult in my opinion. And we have absolutely zero room for error against the bad teams on the schedule.

I’m telling you, that loss last night is going to cost us in a big way. I’m as upset with the call as I am with the lack of outrage over it. Nothing you can do to change it I suppose, but we can certainly make it become well-known that we got screwed out of a win that we deserved. Put the idea out there in the heads of anybody who will listen.[/quote]

After the way this team has performed in the last 4 games, I do not doubt them in any game whatsoever. I think they have a good chance to win any one of them.

They got blown out at home against Purdue. I stated that they do not have any chance of beating them on Wednesday. The team that played on Wednesday is light years better than the one who played Purdue 2 weeks prior.

Frazier is playing great. Brooks is channeling Cline-Heard. Jones and Jackson are playing really well. …and Battle is still Battle.

I think they have a good chance to win any and every game also, but I thought that for the last two years now. Being there in the end and actually closing out tight games is a huge difference and I’m not convinced we’ve turned the corner yet after watching this group of seniors have two ripped from them right at the end (even if I think last night was a robbery).

There is no room left for moral victories. We need actual victories and we need them every single time we play.

Nobody feels good about last year even though we were extremely competitive in almost every single game. Most of them could have gone either way, but almost all of them went the wrong way. And now all anybody thinks of when they look at last year is what a huge disappointment it was. And that’s all these last two games we lost are going to be at season’s end - two disappointments that could have been victories. Two that we will probably need two months from now.

Craftsy, the gist of what you post is fair, but why the absolutism of this “is going to cost us” as if we did something that should result in costing us. We have a very difficult schedule. We should continue the season as if we won this game, because by all accounts, we won the game. 4-3 in the BigTen after 7 games. 3-2 after 5 games vs ranked competition. The team is determined to play the teams remaining on the schedule. Be patient, try to get better as a team. Don’t worry about the NCAA tournament, don’t worry about ESPN’s bracketology. They had us as one of the last four out in the first game of the season! With calls like that last night, being denied a win that they deserved, will only make a difference if the footage is shown. Not everyone has the BigTen Network and written text is all we have until someone uploads a video. If too much time passes, and a video of the end of the game is not shown, then maybe it could cost us. It’s still too early to predict how it will go down. If the tournament really cares about SOS like they preached in 08-09, then our quality schedule is right down their alley. If a video is uploaded, everyone will know what happened in West Lafayette. If not, then it’s discussions like this that will be the difference.

What we can do is upload a video of the play(s) that everyone has discussed but doesn’t exist online atm. I find the lack of this video being shown more outrageous than the call itself. (that stuff is almost to be expected at this point) Why wasn’t this play shown in the official highlights of the game on BTN or ESPN? The call itself is one thing. The selective highlights are another. The team has a week off before they play Iowa. If the play isn’t shown, then how will the general public witness what occurred?

I saw footage of “the play/call” on Sportscenter at lunch today. Gottlieb was analyzing highlights from last night’s game. Gottlieb said it appeared to go off the PU player. Although when they slowed it down it was a little tougher call. That’s a bang-bang call for the ref.

Many people work during the day didn’t catch that. This is the video I have found on ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/21531/video-doug-gottlieb-breaks-down-purdue

It is only a 1:20 video of him breaking down the final play. (after the out of bounds play) Where is the full video of him breaking down the plays before that?

He showed/talked about the out of bounds call right before he broke down the final play. I still think it went off PU but it’s a bang-bang call for the ref. Tough call for the ref and tough call for PSU.