PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

The hire Brad Stevens thread

How much do you think it would take? Let’s start a collection. I am in for $50 a month at least.

I’d match that $50

Get real.

Big on academics. Also the next head coach at Duke.

Way, way more than we’d ever even consider paying. Brad has zero to gain from going to PSU, he can hang at Butler and wait for the perfect job to open up.

Why not at least try?

We have a ton of cash (supposedly) due to STEP. Why not at least aim for the stars?

I am somewhat serious about this. There is a number that makes it happen. It is hard for me to believe that that number still doesn’t result in more income for the program.

We’re not dealing with Monopoly money here. I’d be shocked if he came here for less than something like 3-5 million a year for 5-6 years. So you’re talking about $20 million, or about 16-17 million more than we’ve probably budgeted today for a coach. That money has to come from somewhere. You might think that it would result in more income for the program, but that’s a whole hell of a lot of income to make up. And if it doesn’t, where do you fund that gap? Take $ away from the football program? Cut certain sports? Steal Pegulia’s $ and cancel the hockey program?

I would love to hire Brad Stevens, but I realistically don’t think he would come here. At this point he could coach anywhere he wants. Why would he pick Penn State if he could possibly coach at UNC, Duke, Kansas, UCLA, or Syracuse when they open up.

Could this be renamed the “I have a dream thread” ;D

Even as someone who used one of Brad Stevens’ tickets to go to the 2003 Sweet Sixteen, I think this thread is just silly.

No. Chance. At. All.

[quote="zac1397, post:7, topic:2409"]I am somewhat serious about this. There is a number that makes it happen. It is hard for me to believe that that number still doesn't result in more income for the program.[/quote]

We’re not dealing with Monopoly money here. I’d be shocked if he came here for less than something like 3-5 million a year for 5-6 years. So you’re talking about $20 million, or about 16-17 million more than we’ve probably budgeted today for a coach. That money has to come from somewhere. You might think that it would result in more income for the program, but that’s a whole hell of a lot of income to make up. And if it doesn’t, where do you fund that gap? Take $ away from the football program? Cut certain sports? Steal Pegulia’s $ and cancel the hockey program?

The annual budget at PSU is around 4 billion. You can always find a couple of million extra in that. Currently athletics more than pays for itself. They could come up with the money of need be.

However, I cannot imagine you could not raise revenue by 5 million per year by hiring Stevens.

Show me some of the math on that. I’d like to believe you.

It’s pretty simple. They sell about half the tickets now, even if people aren’t in the seats (which is the best of all possible margins!). Sell the other half and what do you get? $5 million?

[quote="zac1397, post:12, topic:2409"]However, I cannot imagine you could not raise revenue by 5 million per year by hiring Stevens.[/quote]

It’s pretty simple. They sell about half the tickets now, even if people aren’t in the seats (which is the best of all possible margins!). Sell the other half and what do you get? $5 million?

It’s about half if we have 20 home games and sell 8,000 more tickets at $15 each. Of course they could start charging for parking. And have a STEP program for hoops as well.

Keep in mind that Athletics isn’t getting the full cut, as some of that goes back to the BJC for additional ticket takers, more ushers, more box office staff (insert joke here), etc. However, Athletics may be getting some of the cut on concessions to make up for that. Regardless, I question if hiring Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart suddenly means that we’ll put 15k+ in the seats for a winter break game on a Tuesday night against St. Francis. Would we get more fans, sure. Would we suddenly bring in 4-5 million more a year? Not a chance in hell, at least at the start. I just hope that the powers that be at PSU are smart enough that they manage that 4 billion dollar budget wisely, not thinking something like “what the heck, it’s only 5 million dollars out of a 4 billion dollar budget, we can always find that much extra in a budget this large”. At the end of the day, that 5 million dollars is coming from somewhere.

It's about half if we have 20 home games and sell 8,000 more tickets at $15 each. Of course they could start charging for parking. And have a STEP program for hoops as well.

Keep in mind that Athletics isn’t getting the full cut, as some of that goes back to the BJC for additional ticket takers, more ushers, more box office staff (insert joke here), etc. However, Athletics may be getting some of the cut on concessions to make up for that. Regardless, I question if hiring Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart suddenly means that we’ll put 15k+ in the seats for a winter break game on a Tuesday night against St. Francis. Would we get more fans, sure. Would we suddenly bring in 4-5 million more a year? Not a chance in hell, at least at the start. I just hope that the powers that be at PSU are smart enough that they manage that 4 billion dollar budget wisely, not thinking something like “what the heck, it’s only 5 million dollars out of a 4 billion dollar budget, we can always find that much extra in a budget this large”. At the end of the day, that 5 million dollars is coming from somewhere.

Why? I thought the team “rented” the arena for a set fee and ushers, etc. were included. Also, the athletic budget is not part of the university budget. It would be more like $5 million out of $80 million (give or take). And if the basketball coach got $5 million per year, how much should Joe get paid? I don’t see us going that crazy. Nor do I really want us to do that. I think paying a coach a reasonable amount for the position is good enough. What do the other coaches in the B1G make? Somewhere in the middle would make me happy.

[quote=“mjg, post:16, topic:2409”]Why? I thought the team “rented” the arena for a set fee and ushers, etc. were included.

Also, the athletic budget is not part of the university budget. It would be more like $5 million out of $80 million (give or take). And if the basketball coach got $5 million per year, how much should Joe get paid? I don’t see us going that crazy. Nor do I really want us to do that. I think paying a coach a reasonable amount for the position is good enough. What do the other coaches in the B1G make? Somewhere in the middle would make me happy.[/quote]

I certainly don’t know the specifics of their contract today, but the number of ushers/ticket takers/etc is directly proportional to the number of fans in attendance. The bigger the crowd, the more people that need to show up to staff the event. It’s not just a flat fee for renting the arena.

And on the athletics vs. general budget, I obviously completely agree. However it seems that some think taking $ out of the general budget to pay a basketball coach is a fair thing to do.

Why? I thought the team "rented" the arena for a set fee and ushers, etc. were included.

Also, the athletic budget is not part of the university budget. It would be more like $5 million out of $80 million (give or take). And if the basketball coach got $5 million per year, how much should Joe get paid? I don’t see us going that crazy. Nor do I really want us to do that. I think paying a coach a reasonable amount for the position is good enough. What do the other coaches in the B1G make? Somewhere in the middle would make me happy.

I certainly don’t know the specifics of their contract today, but the number of ushers/ticket takers/etc is directly proportional to the number of fans in attendance. The bigger the crowd, the more people that need to show up to staff the event. It’s not just a flat fee for renting the arena.

And on the athletics vs. general budget, I obviously completely agree. However it seems that some think taking $ out of the general budget to pay a basketball coach is a fair thing to do.

No way that happens…not with the budget the Governor is proposing.

[quote="zac1397, post:12, topic:2409"]However, I cannot imagine you could not raise revenue by 5 million per year by hiring Stevens.[/quote]

It’s about half if we have 20 home games and sell 8,000 more tickets at $15 each. Of course they could start charging for parking. And have a STEP program for hoops as well.

Capacity at the BJC is 15261. Two years ago, we averaged 8234 in 18 scheduled dates. One year ago, we averaged 8150 in 16 home contests. Last year we averaged 7457 in 18 home dates.

So this plan calls for booking extra games (which is not feasible btw) and selling every available seat plus 500-1000 that don’t exist. Not exactly a reasonable plan for making up the extra bucks.

Capacity at the BJC is 15261. Two years ago, we averaged 8234 in 18 scheduled dates. One year ago, we averaged 8150 in 16 home contests. Last year we averaged 7457 in 18 home dates.

So your plan calls for booking extra games (which is not feasible btw) and selling every available seat plus 500-1000 that don’t exist. Not exactly a reasonable plan for making up the extra bucks.

That wasn’t MY plan. I was actually trying to show that even if we had 20 games and sold the extra seats, we’d only get half way there. The rest was tongue in cheek.