PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

The Future of PSU Hoops

I just wanted to get a general feel from you guys about how all of these sanctions will affect PSU Hoops. I know there have been a few mentions of it already but I wanted to start a new thread strictly for the hoops side of it.

Someone alluded to Geno Thorpe de committing this morning and I personally do not see that happening. Check this recent re-tweet for Dave Telep.

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello
Spoke with 2013 Penn State basketball commit Geno Thorpe. His pledge remains solid. “Decommitting is not on my mind at all.”

As for Austin, I don’t think for one second that his leaving is connected to the scandal. The kid is blowing up this summer, we’re still not a hoops hotbed.

I think the future of PSU hoops will be fine. It’s about “people” and I like our coaching staff.

If nothing else we may draw some students to the BJC from Beaver Statium.

[quote=“ncy1989, post:1, topic:3343”]I just wanted to get a general feel from you guys about how all of these sanctions will affect PSU Hoops. I know there have been a few mentions of it already but I wanted to start a new thread strictly for the hoops side of it.

Someone alluded to Geno Thorpe de committing this morning and I personally do not see that happening. Check this recent re-tweet for Dave Telep.

Spoke with 2013 Penn State basketball commit Geno Thorpe. His pledge remains solid. “Decommitting is not on my mind at all.”

As for Austin, I don’t think for one second that his leaving is connected to the scandal. The kid is blowing up this summer, we’re still not a hoops hotbed.[/quote]

I agree with you Re: Austin. I think the timing is peculiar because coaches from high end schools have started contacting him. If a Duke, Carolina, or someone of that stature is contacting him, why not listen? He’s shown enough that he might be contacted by those schools.

[quote=“tundra, post:2, topic:3343”]I think the future of PSU hoops will be fine. It’s about “people” and I like our coaching staff.

If nothing else we may draw some students to the BJC from Beaver Statium.[/quote]

Thought that myself, only time will tell.

I just wanted to get a general feel from you guys about how all of these sanctions will affect PSU Hoops. I know there have been a few mentions of it already but I wanted to start a new thread strictly for the hoops side of it.

As for Austin, I don’t think for one second that his leaving is connected to the scandal. The kid is blowing up this summer, we’re still not a hoops hotbed.

I agree with you Re: Austin. I think the timing is peculiar because coaches from high end schools have started contacting him. If a Duke, Carolina, or someone of that stature is contacting him, why not listen? He’s shown enough that he might be contacted by those schools.

Exactly! You can talk all you want about turning the program around and all that good stuff but when the big dogs start calling, your thoughts are gonna change. These are high school kids after all.

I was hoping his case would be different considering the Team Philly ties and his relationships with Newbill, Taylor etc. I have no problem cheering for his somewhere else unless of course he goes within the B1G which is doubtful imo.

Decommitting is never on a recruit’s mind, publicly, until they decommit.

I think for the next 4 years there will be more attention paid to the basketball program by the student body. That will be the highest profile sport eligible for postseason play. I’m sure the athletic department will now be more concerned about the money the program makes since it is one of the few sports teams on campus actually earning a profit. I could make arguments why PSU basketball could benefit from what is happening with football just as much as I could make arguments against it. But ultimately I don’t think it will dramatically change the program one way or another. I think if Chambers has success he would have had it regardless and if he fails to succeed, he would have failed regardless.

[quote="tundra, post:2, topic:3343"]I think the future of PSU hoops will be fine. It's about "people" and I like our coaching staff.

If nothing else we may draw some students to the BJC from Beaver Statium.[/quote]

Thought that myself, only time will tell.

I doubt it. Most students who go to Penn State games are not hard-core fans. They like to go to the games to, in addition to watching the games themselves, drink, hang out with friends, drink, tailgate, drink, eat junk food, drink, and plan that night’s party.

The student section will hardly wither away.

I think the upcoming season is very important at this point. If we could somehow manage to have a winning season and generate some excitement in community it could go a long way to being successful in the future. Not saying that everyone will jump on the ship and sell out every game but now is the time to try and draw the casual fan in.

Hoops future is good. No sanction were department wide so they get free reign. If they come out with a season where they flirt with getting into the NCAA’s, they can become the “show”. I have faith Chamber will get very good recruits, he has an eye for talent and is a saleman. Wouldn’t be surprised if Austin still ends up at PSU even after the opening up his recruitment.

Good response from PC

We’re in good hands…I get the impression that guys like PC don’t wilt in the face of adversity. I’m confident he’ll fill the remaining ships in 13 with good players (maybe not Austin quality) that will continue to push this program in the right direction. You gotta have a leader you can believe in and I certainly think the basketball team has that.

Voids tend to get filled. Not buying that there will be an immense ice hockey following

somebody will probably claim this is an insensitive message, as any forward looking or positive thought is declared unrepentant.

“Nature Abhors a Vacuum!” - I think PC will make PSU hoops very popular with the fans (yes, even the students.)

I don’t think hockey will work at PSU.

Look at Geno’s twitter and it’s safe to say I don’t think he’s going anywhere :slight_smile:

He has an uncle who was a football player here and that may help him stay grounded with the whole situation.

The NCAA sanctions have effectively declawed the football program for years to come. This is an opportunity for PC and the the hoops program to partially fill the void.

I hope I’m wrong, but IMO Penn State Football is in for some tough sledding for the next 5 or 6 years.

I just renewed my basketball season tickets. I was on the fence, mostly because of the travel distance for games (from the Baltimore/DC area), and the fact that the friends I gave unused tickets to have moved out of State College.

I admit that the bad news yesterday (obviously I’m talking about B. Austin :slight_smile: ) made me think a bit more about the decision. But hitting the renewal button today was cathartic, given the circumstances.

I’m looking forward to a great year, and a great future.

[quote=“Speed, post:16, topic:3343”]The NCAA sanctions have effectively declawed the football program for years to come. This is an opportunity for PC and the the hoops program to partially fill the void.

I hope I’m wrong, but IMO Penn State Football is in for some tough sledding for the next 5 or 6 years.[/quote]

More like 10, being realistic. Time for one of Lar’s analyses - this one of programs returning from the brink: maryland basketball, Florida football, Kentucky basketball, UCLA basketball, etc.

[quote="Speed, post:16, topic:3343"]The NCAA sanctions have effectively declawed the football program for years to come. This is an opportunity for PC and the the hoops program to partially fill the void.

I hope I’m wrong, but IMO Penn State Football is in for some tough sledding for the next 5 or 6 years.[/quote]

More like 10, being realistic. Time for one of Lar’s analyses - this one of programs returning from the brink: maryland basketball, Florida football, Kentucky basketball, UCLA basketball, etc.

Baylor did well but basketball might be a easier rebound now then it used to be.

[quote=“bstanf, post:17, topic:3343”]I just renewed my basketball season tickets. I was on the fence, mostly because of the travel distance for games (from the Baltimore/DC area), and the fact that the friends I gave unused tickets to have moved out of State College.

I admit that the bad news yesterday (obviously I’m talking about B. Austin :slight_smile: ) made me think a bit more about the decision. But hitting the renewal button today was cathartic, given the circumstances.

I’m looking forward to a great year, and a great future.[/quote]

I’m with you. I’ve been waffling on whether to get tickets for the past couple months but this mess synches it for me.

May be giving away a ticket or two since I’m not going to be able to make all of them living in Boston. Much rather see a diehard bball fan go than an empty seat. :wink: